Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Specimen Essay Answers and Close Readings Tips - HSN forum

Specimen Essay Answers and Close Readings Tips

8 replies to this topic

#1 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 08:49 PM

Hi all, first post. I was wondering if any one you know any websites which have specimen essay answers as I have never got higher than 14 for any essay I have written and don't know where Im going wrong. My teacher isn't much help. I got 14 for both of my essays in the prelim. Are there any websites which could help with Romeo and Juliet essays?
Secondly, I got 23/50 for my close reading. Due to this being technically a fail I have to sit a NAB for it tomorrow which may be my last chance to pass it. Has anyone got any tips. I've done most oft he past papers and done ok but its hard marking yourself. I think this is very harsh that in failing this NAB I would no longer be sitting Higher English considering I still passed the prelim (51%) when the pass mar was 40%.
Rant over!

#2 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 09:57 PM

I have a few Romeo and Juliet essays which I wrote last year. I'll type them up and they should appear in the Notes section of Higher English by next week.

I won't pretend that they are brilliant, but all three got 18 or above (and my teacher was quite a strict marker). They might be useful.

Sorry, but I don't kow of any good sites for Higher English, hope the essays help though!
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#3 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 10:17 PM

A few useful sources for Higher English are:
  • The SQA's "Candidate Guidance Documents" which give general advice on both the Close Reading and Critical Essay papers. The documents are actually quite useful and give some good advice about what the examiner is looking for.
  • The "Higher English Survival Guide" which gives a lot of pointers again on both papers and some examples too.
  • The past paper books. Although I would tend to agree that marking english papers is really something a qualified teacher needs to do. Applying a Higher marking scheme to what you've written is fairly tricky.
  • Ask your teacher where you're going wrong and if possible if you could see a sample A grade essay. I can't see why any decent teacher wouldn't do that for you
Hope this helps :D

#4 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:05 PM

cheers guys that brilliant :D

#5 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 07:20 PM

I won't pretend that they are brilliant, but all three got 18 or above (and my teacher was quite a strict marker). They might be useful.

18 and above I would say is a mighty fine essay. My highest essay is 18, and really I think, unless you are after an A in the final exam, I am content with writing consistent 17/18's. Really I am not that interested in English! I don't really see why we need to know why the writer uses this etc... Whereas at least with science I can see that having some relivance!

Sorry to any folks who like English!

Mark :ph34r:
Mark

#6 Harry Barton

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 08:53 AM

lol

Don't you just hate it when someone's great at a subject you want and they don't even like it :P

#7 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 03 March 2004 - 06:25 PM

lol....people say this to me all the time!! But in English I do work hard, but that doesn't mean to say that I am interested in it.

I just don't see any need to force you to write two essays in 1 1/2 hrs. They could have easily gave you 2hrs, and I don't see why they need such a narrow time limit!
:o

Mark
Mark

#8 Marty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 08:45 PM

Writing 17/18's will get you an A. The same proportion of people each year get A's, so its not just down to percentages and English generally is a low scoring subject.

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:05 PM

Yeh sparky I agree 2 hours would be the good and reasonable time limit to write the 2 critical essaysI which the exam board would realise that the constistant low scoring in English is down to 2 things:
quality of teaching - if you dont learn techniques you wont get a good grade
and stress- if you are stressed (which most ppl are in exams) then you find it hard to instantly identify the question to use and instantly write a great introduction. Most people struggle on how to start and forget quotes since they are so STRESSED. :(
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users