Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Struggling with Adv Maths - HSN forum

Struggling with Adv Maths

18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:30 PM

I would always have considered myself pretty good at maths - I won the maths prize in my school every year and achieved silver and gold in the UK maths challenges, and never had anything less than a 1/ A Band 1 for Maths exams/prelims etc.

However, I've just started Adv. Higher and I'm finding it really difficult. I've never even really needed to try in maths, but everything I do now just seems to take about treble the time of my other subjects' homework. I have an Oxford app, and I really need to get an A in this - does it get any easier? I find Differentiation and Integration to be incredibly difficult and the lack of a formulae sheet is just the pits! I'm never going to memorise all these formulae and be able to apply them.... sad.gif sad.gif

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

I would say the best thing you can do with AH Maths is lots of practice.

Also, it's important what you practice - there's no point in doing loads of easy examples that you know you can do. Once you're confident with something, move on. That way you'll get the most out of your time.

Now, I wouldn't worry too much about calculus. I'm about to start Year 3 of a maths degree, and I couldn't tell you from memory half of the results you'll be expected to have at your fingertips in the exam. A lot of it is exam technique - like my favourite tip of looking at a crib sheet right before your exam, then writing down everything you can remember as soon as you sit down - this isn't cheating, it's just a really good idea biggrin.gif . Coming up with the crib sheet you need will be a task for you during exam revision.

In saying that, I do know a lot of the identities off by heart. That just comes with practice and familiarity. It might not seem feasible just now, but you'll be surprised how much you pick up in the next few months. Things like the product rule and quotient rule should really become second nature.

So to summarise - you'll pick up a lot in your long-term memory, while you're studying AH; plus you can always put the rest into short-term memory just for the exam.

Of course, if there's anything specific you're stuck with I'd be happy to help (and I'm sure there are others who would too!)

#3 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:30 PM

I'd be willing to help too! smile.gif

AH Maths is a difficult course, there's no doubt about it. There is a lot of content and you need to be able to do things quickly that would have previously taken a long time.

Now, like you say, you've never really needed to try before. Remember, it's the things you do when you are trying your best that are most rewarding - if you never had a real challenge then what would you really achieve?

It is certainly possible to get an A for AH Maths but you won't get it without hard work. And, as George says, the best way to make sure you know what you're doing is to do lots of problems. The Supplementary Support Pack- Maths 1, 2 and 3 for AH Maths is available from LT Scotland which has lots of examples and questions to do (with answers).

Also, on this page you should be able to get access to the Additional Question Bank for AH Maths (this has all old past paper questions from before 1992) - these would be very good practice. The page says you need to get in touch to find out how to get the file, but I think they'll allow you to get it. (If not, see if your school have old CSYS past papers.) I would advise against doing recent past papers as these are good for exam revision.

Another important thing is that if you keep getting something wrong then there is no point in trying more and more questions until you understand what you've done wrong and fixed it in your mind. If you don't know what you've done wrong, then your teacher will be very happy to help, as will I.

Just remember what you're aiming for and let that be something which gives you determination when you're feeling like you aren't making progress - you can do it!
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:26 PM

i think your panic is coming from the fact you have never have to think to much about maths before so its quite a shock to find that now you do. As long as you do not get discouraged i would bet that you will do well in this course

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

Well, in answer to your question, no it doesn't get any easier. In fact, it gets a fair bit harder from what I can see. But don't worry, that doesn't mean you can't get an A, alot of people find advanced maths difficult, everyone has a limit where everything seems easy in every subject, it's just that most people hit them years ago and you're not used to this. If you're finding advanced maths difficult but you aren't planning on going to uni to do maths then I don't see how this is that much of a concern. With enough work it's very possible to get an A in advanced maths.

I'm having the exact same difficulty with STEP papers, but I know that if I work hard I'll be able to get a 1,1. You just need to have the same attitude with advanced maths.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#6 UncleJohnny

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

Don't worry because I am finding it very difficult too... I don't really understand it but I'm going to really put an effort in this weekend to revise everything I have done so far.

#7 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

I was finding adv maths pretty difficult but now I'm used to the pace and the learning style it's got ok. Might help that the girl who was sitting beside me quit so isn't distracting me anymore. Now I'm out to prove girls can do maths.
You might start clicking too. Or else it could just be that I've stopped considering 30 min a long time to do a question...

#8 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Sep 19 2006, 08:47 PM) View Post

Now I'm out to prove girls can do maths.

Im with you on that! But I havent really found it too hard, maybe the first few questions i do on each new thing makes me think oh can i really do this, but once i get into the hang of it its usually not too bad. A lot better than i was expecting anyways. If you stick at it, do as many extra questions as you can for practise youll be fine.
Grrrrrr!!

#9 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

Lots of girls can do Maths, well at least in my School

Majority of the As came from girls for Higher in my year, and most people doing AH Maths were Girls too lol

#10 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:28 PM

There was a girl at my school who got 97% in her AH maths prelim, she wasn't half bad at maths tongue.gif

#11 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

Ok, girls at my school in my year.
My higher class last year had 4 girls out of about 30. (A, B, D, nothing) There was another class in a different column which had a few more girls but we really were in the minority. My adv class has me and 10 guys. No girls are doing physics and I haven't heard of any doing graph-com or computing. Useless lot.

It's not normally an issue but we had a girls v. guys hockey match. Chemistry was interesting yesterday.

#12 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 12:04 AM

hey spoon, i done ah maths last year and I found the start of it pretty impossible, but after a while it became okay. In a few months mate you will find it fine.

#13 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 01 October 2006 - 01:07 AM

Didnt do Advanced Higher Maths, but found the uni equivalent reasonably ok and not too hard. Maths at this level is something that cant be picked up straight away. Main thing is to persevere, never give up, no matter how hard it seems. Always go back to a problem later, has served me well in second year uni maths so far smile.gif

#14 Hev

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

i'm the only girl in my school doing advanced higher maths sad.gif not only is it very lonely, but i'm finding it EXTREMELY hard, in a Unit 1 test i got 29%!! sad.gif
IPB Image
This year's Fenella Feline (CAT) in Peterhead's Pantomine Pinocchio!

#15 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Sep 12 2006, 07:49 PM) View Post

I'm having the exact same difficulty with STEP papers, but I know that if I work hard I'll be able to get a 1,1.

Or an S,S. wink.gif

biggrin.gif

#16 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ Nov 7 2006, 04:53 PM) View Post
Or an S,S. wink.gif

biggrin.gif
Highly unlikely tongue.gif

#17 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(Hev @ Nov 6 2006, 09:21 PM) View Post

i'm the only girl in my school doing advanced higher maths sad.gif not only is it very lonely, but i'm finding it EXTREMELY hard, in a Unit 1 test i got 29%!! sad.gif

It is lonely isn't it.

#18 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:15 PM

and what is wrong with being in a room of maths geeks exactly! We are human aswell you know.....ok maybe that was a step too far

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#19 Hev

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:18 PM

yep oh so lonely sad.gif haha. i've been quite lucky though, alot of the lads are my mates anyway. and i can just use my charm and beauty on them to get them to give me answers haha!

and kudos on the geeks! haha! i kid.
IPB Image
This year's Fenella Feline (CAT) in Peterhead's Pantomine Pinocchio!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users