Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
optimization - HSN forum

optimization

3 replies to this topic

#1 xlynsey

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:16 AM

Ok i am stuck on a question to do with optimization if anyone has the higher maths textbook its ex 6Q q 7a and b. PAGE113 if not:

IPB Image

and it says:

The cross section of a building constructed inside a parabolic framework is shown in the diagram.
a) given that PQ is 2x m show that the shaded area is 6x-2x^3 square metres
b)Find the maximum cross-sectional area of the building.

any help is much appreciated, thanks:)

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:21 AM

Which part is the shaded area?

#3 xlynsey

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Sep 9 2006, 12:21 PM) View Post

Which part is the shaded area?

oops, its the rectangle inside the parabla that has a length of 2x
sorry about that

#4 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:28 PM

the IPB Image comes from IPB Image so that's where it comes from. Now the reasoning for that, I'll need to have a little think about, unless there was another method I didn't spot. Sorry, I really need to brush up on my maths, not having done any maths for nearly seven months now. laugh.gif

Anyway, as for the second part, you simply go through finding the maximum using differentiation through the usual way, as you've probably been shown. The working is virtually identical for any optimisiation problem, for finding minima/maxima.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users