Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
SAAS - HSN forum - Page 3

SAAS

46 replies to this topic

#41 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:44 PM

A Graduate Endownment is a lump sum you pay to the government, via SAAS(i think you pay it via SAAS) when you Graduate from your degree.

The majority of people are liable to pay it, some arent.

Don't think you are liable to pay Jamie since you are classed as being disabled.

But best to check the SAAS website.

#42 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, I had a look there. If I'm in recepit of Disabled Students Allowance, I don't have to pay. Go me! happy.gif Yet another benefit of being deaf! Yaay! tongue.gif

#43 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:46 PM

Its not retarded at all, its something they conviently forget to mention. Its a one off payment of around 2000 ish, which all scottish students pay when they graduate with a bachelor/masters undergrad degree. Its pretty much a tax for graduates, you can pay it as a lump sum, or add it to your student loan I think.

The ammount you pay is set when you start, so for example if you started first year in 2005/06, then u pay 2,216 when you graduate in 2009 (or 2010 for a five year course). The ammount goes up with inflation every year, so people starting this year pay more.

p.s. there are some exceptions, as we have just seen tongue.gif

#44 waitingforan_alibi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

i think the graduate endowment is fair dos - i d far rather that than the english system of paying

#45 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

considering that SAAS pay out roughly 4800 in total for tution fees for a 4 year honours degree, i think the fact you only have to pay back 2000 isn't a bad deal!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#46 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

I do too, they use the money to help students of the future, so I think its fair considering the ammount of benifit we receive by having degrees, for example better job prospects etc.

#47 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Sep 15 2006, 05:16 PM) View Post

considering that SAAS pay out roughly 4800 in total for tution fees for a 4 year honours degree, i think the fact you only have to pay back 2000 isn't a bad deal!

Don't forget the Bursaries, of upto 2455 per year for some people.

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Sep 16 2006, 12:33 PM) View Post

I do too, they use the money to help students of the future, so I think its fair considering the ammount of benifit we receive by having degrees, for example better job prospects etc.

Yep, we should have to pay it back in one form or another, even if it was just a small proportion of it.

Just like they do with the additional Dental Bursary, the more you "borrow" the longer you have to work for the NHS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users