Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The UKCAT - HSN forum

The UKCAT

11 replies to this topic

#1 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:14 PM

I'm sitting it tomorrow.

Eek.

Any pearls of wisdom? smile.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#2 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

Erm.....relax....but not too much....and remember, the timing's tight, so don't panic if you dont finish all the questions wink.gif

Oh, and good luck wink.gif

Edited by nathanm, 01 September 2006 - 09:03 PM.

#3 **Bernadette**

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I am currently in sixth year and I am doing higher music and advanced highers in maths chemistry and biology.<br />In fourth year I got six 1s in english, chemistry, biology, music, administration and modern studies. I also got 2 As in the int 2s I sat in french and maths. Last year I got five A's!! Woohoo!! I also sit piano exams so I have passed up to grade 6 practical and grade 5 theory so far. I would like to go on and study medicine.<br /><br />I like playing the piano, playing drums, dancing(tap, ballet, modern, highland, disco...), watching golf, tennis(I am not very good at playing but I love Wimbledon) reading, doing crosswords and loadsa other stuff! I am also trying to teach myself guitar which is funny!! I love music and I am going to see the Fratellis in feb and Razorlight in April!! Can't wait!! Some of my other favourite bands are snow patrol, blur, bloc party, radiohead, the kooks, oasis and of course the Beatles!!!!

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

The main thing I would say is keep your eye on the clock. Just do your best!!

GOOD LUCK!!!! wink.gif wink.gif

#4 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

Good luck with the maths section from what I've heard!

#5 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:35 PM

Whoop. Finally sat it today.

The maths section seemed to be physically impossible to finish, unless;
a) You're Einstein
b) You guess.

But apart from that it was ok smile.gif Some of the shape questions were a bit obscure.
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#6 jackbauer

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

I've been thinking about this UKCAT thing - aren't we all just sitting the same exam, only at diferent times?

It's open to 'abuse'. For example, you could post the question here (or some of/the sort of things you were asked).

Or I could get someone, like a friend, who's not even interested in medicine, to sit the test just to find out the questions/answers.

Then I go in knowing exactly what to expect or even knowing the answers...

Even if your accomplice can't remember it all, they could remember, say, the infamous maths section. Or you could get four people to go in, each tasked with remembering one subtest each!!!???

I know it would be expensive for 4 people, but some people's parents have a lot of money and ambition for their kids. rolleyes.gif

Or is it like the driving theory test, where there is a bank of 1000s of questions, and a dew are selected at random each time?

Your thoughts please...

#7 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(jackbauer @ Sep 2 2006, 10:05 PM) View Post

I've been thinking about this UKCAT thing - aren't we all just sitting the same exam, only at diferent times?

Yes and no. Its a bit like sitting a driving theory test. You answer 35 questions, but there's a database of like 1000 questions. And with that many combinations, you're not really sitting the same exam.

It's open to 'abuse'. For example, you could post the question here (or some of/the sort of things you were asked).

Very true, but like I said, the questions are selected from a large database

Or I could get someone, like a friend, who's not even interested in medicine, to sit the test just to find out the questions/answers.

See above. Also, it would also be a waste of 60 quid (unless they get an EMA at the highest rate

Or is it like the driving theory test, where there is a bank of 1000s of questions, and a dew are selected at random each time?

Its just like that wink.gif

#8 jackbauer

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:16 PM

damn mad.gif

i thought i'd found a cunning way round the stupid, stupid test tongue.gif

#9 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:25 PM

Hmm, i'm quite scared about the whole thing. How dependant do you think the universities will be on the UKCAT?

I'd hate to have worked my ass off to get 5 As, good work experience and a good PS - to be rejected because I hadn't done well on that stupid money-making test.

Views? smile.gif

#10 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(Allana @ Sep 3 2006, 02:25 PM) View Post

Hmm, i'm quite scared about the whole thing. How dependant do you think the universities will be on the UKCAT?

I'd hate to have worked my ass off to get 5 As, good work experience and a good PS - to be rejected because I hadn't done well on that stupid money-making test.

Views? smile.gif

I said you would be fine wink.gif.

#11 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Sep 3 2006, 03:24 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Allana @ Sep 3 2006, 02:25 PM) View Post

Views? smile.gif

I said you would be fine wink.gif.

Ha, thanks.
I'm still worried though. Surely they can't really rely on this test when so many people have complained?

#12 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:13 PM

Not that I think they will rely much on it. But I dont know of anyone who has made an official complaint about it, just generally mumbling and grumbling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users