Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Starting at Unit 2? - HSN forum

Starting at Unit 2?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:33 PM

My chemistry teacher is a complete waste of time. He is absoloutely hopeless, but now he's elected to start the course at unit 2, which means we are straight in at Stoichiometry. I am kinda struggling, because we don't have any of the necessary theory to apply to the questions - for which he thinks we must develop a suitable technique.

Seeing as there's a lack of textbook for the course, does anyone have any resources that I might find useful?

TIA

#2 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

Most of the stoichiometry in unit two is revision of Higher, so knowlege of unit one isnt really required. However, if you are looking for resources, Scholar has a lot of questions and answers (ie 20 tongue.gif )...it doesnt really explain all that well though unsure.gif

#3 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:51 PM

Check the ltscotland website out.

#4 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:28 PM

We're doing exactly the same thing at the moment! maybe it's a standard sort of thing that a lot of schools do?

#5 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:38 PM

what they do in my old school is one teacher teaches units one followed by unit 3 for 3 periods a week and then another teaches unit 2 for the remaining 2

#6 chris-d

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:48 PM

Last year we did them all in order 1,2 then 3 unit 1 spent too long on, unit 2 dragged in and unit 3 we finished like a week before the exam!!! unit 3 was the best one though, well at least most interesting. Unit 2 is quite hard with all the equations and stuff though. The learning outcomes posted on here are really good for revision though!

#7 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:48 AM

The way we are working it is 2 periods of unit 1 and 3 periods of unit 3 per week and I think its a good idea so far.

#8 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 11:28 PM

I've started from unit 1 but the rest of my subjects are jumbled up. I don't quite think my teacher likes doing it this way though, he's been complaining about the lack of experiments. But he's been trying to make up for that by gasing us.
("This is the most poisenous chemical we'll be working with" [H2S] Then he comes round and wafts it under our noses "It's more poisenous than hydrogen cyanide, you know, the one the Americans use for gasing people)

#9 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:10 PM

We have unit one being taught by one teacher, and they get in a retired teacher a period a week to do unit two because he's the only one who can do thermodynamics.

We got given a book with notes in it, it's pretty good. It might be on ltsscotland, if it's not there I have no idea where you'll be able to find it.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#10 ginneswatson

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Sep 2 2006, 06:10 PM) View Post

We have unit one being taught by one teacher, and they get in a retired teacher a period a week to do unit two because he's the only one who can do thermodynamics.

We got given a book with notes in it, it's pretty good. It might be on ltsscotland, if it's not there I have no idea where you'll be able to find it.

Chemistry Teacher here. As someone said earlier, the calculations done at Advanced Higher are the same as those done at Higher. However, they are placed in the context of the practical work you will be expected to have done. The 'difficulty' will come from seeing the (several) steps that will take you from the practical data provided to the required answer. For example, from a concentration of MnO4- to the %Mn in a steel paper clip.

There are, however, a couple of publications that should help. The Guide to Practical Work, I've mentioned in an earlier thread, will give you the knowledge of the Practical Techniques to put your calculations into context.

It also gives help with Errors and how to write PPA reports. The PPA's are where you are supposed to really learn how to do these calculations.

The other document is the Advanced Higher Support Notes Unit 2. Your school should have both these publications, but I will put copies on my webpage that you can download. Any problems, contact me by email and I can convert them into pdf if necessary.

Cheers smile.gif

oops tongue.gif forgot to tell you where to go. My web page is http://homepage.mac.com/ginneswatsonkelso/

#11 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 05 September 2006 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(ginneswatson @ Sep 3 2006, 10:33 PM) View Post
Chemistry Teacher here. As someone said earlier, the calculations done at Advanced Higher are the same as those done at Higher. However, they are placed in the context of the practical work you will be expected to have done. The 'difficulty' will come from seeing the (several) steps that will take you from the practical data provided to the required answer. For example, from a concentration of MnO4- to the %Mn in a steel paper clip.

There are, however, a couple of publications that should help. The Guide to Practical Work, I've mentioned in an earlier thread, will give you the knowledge of the Practical Techniques to put your calculations into context.

It also gives help with Errors and how to write PPA reports. The PPA's are where you are supposed to really learn how to do these calculations.

The other document is the Advanced Higher Support Notes Unit 2. Your school should have both these publications, but I will put copies on my webpage that you can download. Any problems, contact me by email and I can convert them into pdf if necessary.

Cheers smile.gif

oops tongue.gif forgot to tell you where to go. My web page is http://homepage.mac.com/ginneswatsonkelso/
Thanks for sharing this stuff smile.gif
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users