Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher English: General Course Discussion - HSN forum - Page 3

Advanced Higher English: General Course Discussion

60 replies to this topic

#41 broxibabi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:18 PM

sad.gif How did everyone find it? My essay on Literary Study went quite well...but the Textual Analysis didn't go too well...did anyone else do that?

#42 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 13 2005, 05:39 PM)
Lindsay you talk about it like you never sat it today

View Post

Well, I thought I'd ask first before I brag that

I'D PRACTICALLY DONE THE MURIEL SPARK QUESTION BEFORE!!!!

AND I got a B for it first time round. *struts*

We didn't do the textual annalysis because we did the creative writing thing instead, and my folio is outstanding so weeeee!

I might get an advanced higher out of this. biggrin.gif

#43 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ May 13 2005, 08:27 PM)

I might get an advanced higher out of this. biggrin.gif

View Post

i almost expected to see a "surprised" emoticon

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#44 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:56 PM

You're a DOBBER, I'm not thick. I'm just ditzy.

#45 *Etoile*

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 09:49 PM

I really wanted to take adv higher english next year but it clashed with adv german. Could have taken it anyway and do german alone in free periods but that would have been 4 adv highers which is just crazy! How is the workload for 3 adv highers anyway? I'm taking french, german and biology, and higher sociology.

#46 Rachael_McD

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

So who is doing Advanced English this year? Anyone? I'm only one of two people taking it in my school, and there's no teacher or classroom so we've basically got to teach it to ourselves blink.gif

I'm quite worried.

#47 Kirsty

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:19 PM

I'm doing it this year - there's 3 people in my class. No idea what I'm going to do for my dissertation - our teacher said we had to do 3 texts but I think I might try and get away with 2 - Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights.

#48 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:59 AM

I'm doing it this year - havn't even started the course yet - only got the reading list yesterday. We don't have any timetabled periods for advanced higher english because there's only two of us doing it, so we are going to have lots and lots of after school tutorials! Yaay!
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#49 stevon

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:57 PM

I'm taking Advanced Higher English this year. We've got a class of tweleve, which is shocking. Although I'm presuming a few people will leave when they get their results and stuff...

We've picked our texts and dissertation books (we're doing three texts for the dissertation, although everyone on here seems to be doing only two?) and basically we've been advised to read the dissertation books and I'm planning on reading some of the texts too.

For my dissertation, I've picked: Pride & Prejudice, Mansfield Park and Persuasion, all by Jane Austen. Can't remember my question too well, I'll go hunt it down later on.

Really looking forward to doing this, wanting to do English Literature at Uni so taking this subject quite seriously. Also took Advanced Higher History and Higher RMPS just to get my essays up to a high standard. I was scoring about 22-23/25 for my Higher English essays, so still got a long way to go!

#50 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:21 PM

hey i just wondered if anyone knew if its possible to get a breakdown of the marks for the different parts of the Ah english course? i'm just interested to see what i got as i'm still stunned i actually passed never mind getting a B!

#51 broxibabi

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 12:34 PM

Yeah you can, just go into your school, they should b able to give you them. Im gutted with my English. I was predicated at an A all year, then feel down to a C in the end. There was only 3 of us sittin it, n my friend was predicated a B, then failed,and this other guy was predicated to fail, n got a C huh.gif

#52 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:03 PM

yeh i really don't understand the marking system at all, one girl in my classes stuff was amazing and she failed as well. and my stuff wasn't and i passed. are you going to put in for an appeal?

#53 Larry

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:06 PM

jeez you have small classes for AH english! although my school is known for having the most amount of pupils that do it every year. we have two classes this year, about 18 to each. I have no idea what iĀ“m going to do for my dissertation, i canĀ“t decide, i would like to do some iain banks but apparently thats not advised for AH. hmm what to do, what to do...

#54 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 07:16 PM

to be honest if you want to do iain banks then i would go ahead, although the texts you study do have to have some weighting, it mostly comes down to the standard of your work rather than the difficulty of the novels you chose. although my teacher said sometimes a marker may look more favourably if you've done classics as more and more students seem to be studying modern texts for the dissertation. but at the end of the day its only going to get what its worth.

i thought i read on here recently about someone wanting to do mrs dalloway by virginia woolf as part of their disseration, i did that as part of mine and would be more than happy to help with any questions.

#55 Broken Fairy Wings

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:writers: Francesca Lia Block, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Sylvia Plath, Carol Lee, JD Salinger, Jeffrey Eugenides, Virginia Woolf..<br /><br />music: Lisa Marie Presley, Michael Jackson, Katy Rose, Tori Amos, Bjork, Fiona Apple, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Delirious?, Nirvana, Silverchair, Bob Dylan, Blondie, Elliott Smith, Joss Stone, Bright Eyes, Rilo Kiley, The Postal Service, Hanson, HIM, The Beach Boys, Jewel, Third Day, Kelly Osbourne, Liz Phair, Mandy Moore, Maria Mena, The Velvet Underground, Nico, Jem, KT Tunstall, Jeff Buckley, Jewel, The Clash, Jamison Parker, Kryah, Death Cab For Cutie, Melissa Etheridge, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Elvis Presley, White Stripes, Speedway, Who Will Miss Mary, PJ Harvey..<br /><br />movies: White Oleander, Thirteen, Donnie Darko, Finding Neverland, Lost In Translation, Peter Pan, The Virgin Suicides, Labyrinth, Winning London, A Walk To Remember, Ghost World, The Hours, Igby Goes Down, Romeo &amp; Juliet, Don't Say A Word, Saved!, Hotel Rwanda, Dear Frankie, Song For A Raggy Boy..<br /><br />Other Stuff: fairies, glitter, snow, dancing in the rain, swimming, the beach, nature, Mary Kate &amp; Ashley, Home &amp; Away, writing, poetry, wearing fairy wings, taking photos, making icons, Evan Rachel Wood..

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:25 PM

i'm doing AH English this year too with a class of 8 pupils & 5 time-tabled periods with 3 different teachers. Each teacher is focussing on a different text right now though [Canterbury Tales, Hamlet & King Lear] & will later be looking at different aspects of creative writing, so it's basically like having 3 completely different classes which makes it a lot of work. i'm enjoying it though as it's all really good fun & very relaxed, & from the sounds of it i'm pretty lucky to have it taught in such a manner. Good luck to all you guys with no actual teaching periods =/

What texts are everyone else studying? [for the final exam & the dissertation]

Peace, <3 & fairy dust
-Laura, exoh!

It’s not that I literally think I’m a faerie. It’s just that I feel so different from most people. And this idea of a race living underground in caverns, spending all their days dancing and playing the fiddle and eating flowers and reciting poetry and sharing their dreams, that to me sounds much more real than the way people live in this world, hating and fighting and wanting and hurting. - FLB

Imagine that I can't be comforted at all , in pieces I went from crawling into a ball. Evidence, it's in my breathing every day, less and less and less. Can you hear me now, cause I'm not doing fine, I'm drowning in my mind again - LisaMariePresley

#56 ajb2108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 04:02 PM

Hey there - I'm doing AH Engligh this year too, there is only 6 of us in our class!! Our teacher is the head of english at my school and he seems quite good! We are studying some of Thomas Hardy's novels just now for the final exam. Woo. Lol - havn't even thought about the dissertation yet any ideas? unsure.gif

#57 jennie_from_the_docks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Titanic, Rangers, piano, mates and politics

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:42 PM

I'm doing Advanced English this year. looking forward to it. I'm doing three books for my dissertation - Super-Cannes, Heart Of Darkness and Lord Of The Flies. Subject is the darker side of humanity. Not read all the books - i was a late starter to the subjects. I'm also not doing the poetry unit because i can't make the class. The play's we're doing are "Mary Queen Of Scots Got Her Head Chopped Off" and "Dracula". Neither of which appeal to me!

How far is everyone else with the course?

Can anyone from last year tell me - is missing the poetry unit a bad idea?

Also can anyone give me notes for Super-Cannes? Or even anywhere to find them. I've tried and I can't get them. Ta!

#58 Larry

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:27 AM

can anyone think of something that would go well with 'the beach' by alex garland for the dissertation? i'm thinking maybe in terms of a theme of paradise....any suggestions??

#59 _petal_power_

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:00 AM

hi all, i need help i was thinking of doing lord of the the rings as part of my dissertation and i dont know what other book i could do to tie into the themes of lotr. someone please help me.

#60 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:14 PM

would it not be kinda difficult to use the three books?!

You could use The Hobbit cos its about the same kinda theme and was written by the same writer and you can compare the different styles of the same writer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users