Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Higher English: General Course Discussion - HSN forum

Advanced Higher English: General Course Discussion

60 replies to this topic

#1 .: G-Unit :.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 11:44 AM

Hi there,

Ive looked on the internet for some information on the AH English course , but cannot find any .

Has any one taken , or is taking this subject ? What do you think of it , is it difficult/lots of work ??

#2 NYPD

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(.: G-Unit :. @ Aug 18 2004, 11:44 AM)
Hi there,

Ive looked on the internet for some information on the AH English course , but cannot find any .

Has any one taken , or is taking this subject ? What do you think of it , is it difficult/lots of work ??

View Post

I'm taking it this year and yes, it is a VERY lot of work.

#3 .: G-Unit :.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:06 PM

What does it consist of ?

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:20 PM

i know people that have done it and hated every minute because they cannot be bothered with such a high work rate in 6th year while sitting with an unconditional offer for university.

Also some of my friends that are doing it were given 8 books to read over the summer. As that is all the course consists of ie there is no interp

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:14 PM

Here is a link for some info on AH English I found.

#6 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:29 AM

I think the advanced higher English looks quite fun.

The actual exam's just one written piece, you don't have to do close reading and you can submit a creative writing folio. You've got to do the dissertation as well, though, which is when you compare two books. I'm doing Pride and Prejudice with Bridget Jones's Diary I think.

It looks good, though, because the focus is on writing, which is the part of English I've always enjoyed.

#7 kirsty_x

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 10:06 AM

I'm doin AH english. And its so hard to motivate myself. Really i should be in m class just now. The approach is to casual for me i think im not taking seriously!!!!!

HELP!

#8 NYPD

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(kirsty_x @ Nov 9 2004, 10:06 AM)
I'm doin AH english. And its so hard to motivate myself. Really i should be in m class just now. The approach is to casual for me i think im not taking seriously!!!!!

HELP!

View Post

Yeah, I have the same problem. What texts are you studying?

#9 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 10:43 AM

O Adv English thats a hard subject!
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#10 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 08:04 PM

I'm doing Pride and Prejudice with Bridget Jones's Diary for my dissertation. Haven't started it yet. I will though.

#11 Wheelybin

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 December 2004 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Dec 24 2004, 08:04 PM)
I'm doing Pride and Prejudice with Bridget Jones's Diary for my dissertation.  Haven't started it yet.  I will though.

View Post

ooo Good luck to you too! I take it you'll mention how Mark Darcy plays the same 'named' character in both novels? That seems like a good choice of books...!
Who is the 'She' in the nursery rhyme, "She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes"?

#12 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:22 PM

Bridget Jones is basically a modern day version of the Lizzy so I'm just looking at the role the central character plays in both.

I'm also going to look at how the same story is told in two different ways.

#13 cc100

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:40 PM

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone who has done/is doing Advanced English this year could tell me what it is like, what the assessments are and what kind of things you have to do for it (I know that there are lots of units and every school may do different ones.) I have very little information on it and I've got to make my 6th year options very shortly.
Thanks biggrin.gif
"...You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise....
Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise."

**Maya Angelou**

Si tu le fais, le fais bien ou ne le fais pas.

Against terrorism and in favour of peace.
Contra el terrorismo y a favor de la paz.

An eye for an eye will turn the world blind.
Ojo por ojo y el mundo acabará ciego.
~Gandhi~

#14 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:03 PM

I honestly can't help you. I'm doing it this year, but my teacher's a total laugh and doesn't believe in internal assessments, haha...

Basically, I think all you really have to do internally is one essay on one genre and one on another. You can also do a creative writing folio, consisting of two pieces, but there are other options.

You also do your dissertation on two books, I think that's about 3000 words. That gets sent away with your CW.

And the external exam is kind of like the writing bit of the Higher, only it's just one essay in an hour and a half.

I really like AH English. It also keeps you writing essays before you go onto further education. Which is always handy.

#15 Glasgow_girl_17

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

Hi,
I'm sitting Advanced Higher English this year and I was wondering what stage other schools are at. My school has not run this subjects for a few years so I'm wondering what texts your covering and what stage you are all at with dissertations. Any help is appreciated.

#16 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:17 PM

hey in my class we've studied tennessee williams, james joyce and we've just started the scottish ballads.
done a first draft of dissertation and its been marked so just fixing it now - or completly re writing it in my case.
still working on creative writing folio as well , my narrative piece is almost done but not started the reflective yet!

#17 Glasgow_girl_17

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:45 PM

smile.gif
hey, thanks for your replies (plus sorry it took me so long to reply). My class is also studying Tennessee Williams - which seems to be very popular amongst us Advanced Higher English candidates ! tongue.gif We've sat our prelim and all the NABS ( literature, textual analysis and I believe the dissertation is the third. What are you guys doing to prepare for the exam, I know most of you are just doing the literature paper on the day, lucky you!

btw, Arizona_night, you are practically sitting the same advanced highers as me this year, what is it your planning on doing next year ?

#18 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

I've just started writing out all my quotes onto little cards so I can start learning them.

To be honest, I'm not putting that much effort into English. I don't need it. And I know I'm not very good at it. Plus, I have unconditionalitis, so I've got very, very lazy.

I did get a B for my prelim though! MIRACLE. Best I've had all year, I've been getting D/Cs. :S

#19 Mattz

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:11 PM

All reading books? Excuse I think I'll have to go cry with joy.
You've just made my sixth year biggrin.gif Book Dissertation + Creative Writing Folio for the win!!

#20 arizona_night

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(Glasgow_girl_17 @ Apr 14 2005, 03:45 PM)
smile.gif
hey, thanks for your replies (plus sorry it took me so long to reply). My class is also studying Tennessee Williams - which seems to be very popular amongst us Advanced Higher English candidates ! tongue.gif  We've sat our prelim and all the NABS ( literature, textual analysis and I believe the dissertation is the third. What are you guys doing to prepare for the exam, I know most of you are just doing the literature paper on the day, lucky you!

btw, Arizona_night, you are practically sitting the same advanced highers as me this year, what is it your planning on doing next year ?

View Post

hey i'm going to do medicine next year, hopefully at glasgow if i meet my conditions! how about you? don't need english though which is just as well lol

i've not started preparing for the actual exam yet!ahhhhh! dissertations just about done which is good. probably have to read the texts again and write all the quotes out as someone else mentioned.
is everyone else preparing more than one author for the exam? i'm hoping a good question for joyce will come up and if not not then williams will be my backup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users