Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Opendays 06/07 - HSN forum - Page 4

Opendays 06/07

80 replies to this topic

#61 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE(Richard_05 @ Sep 5 2006, 07:56 PM)

o:

What stuff did you go see? Maybe we saw the same thing

At Strathclyde i went to maths, primary teaching and accounts.

Today at Glasgow went to maths, teaching, law and the tour of the theatre studies department. Glasgow was good, apart from the fact i had a splitting sore head all day... but oh wel, tis all over now. Back to school tomorow.

Haha, I was hoping you'd say maths. Was it the "fun with numbers" stuff that wasn't fun. I wasted 30 minutes their sad.gif

#62 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Sep 6 2006, 10:42 PM) View Post

I was at the maths thing at half 11 aswell. I tried to walk out when the stats guy came in (I was in the room that had the maths then the stats) ended being the only fanny standing up biggrin.gif

haha....i saw you!!

i was sitting like 5 or 6 places along from you in the back row cool.gif

#63 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Sep 6 2006, 11:25 PM) View Post

I was at the maths thing at half 11 aswell. I tried to walk out when the stats guy came in (I was in the room that had the maths then the stats) ended being the only fanny standing up biggrin.gif

haha....i saw you!!

i was sitting like 5 or 6 places along from you in the back row cool.gif
Awesome biggrin.gif Maths geeks, unite!
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#64 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:40 PM

I was at the maths thing at half 11 aswell. I tried to walk out when the stats guy came in (I was in the room that had the maths then the stats) ended being the only fanny standing up biggrin.gif I also went along to the physics thing (missed the talks though) and some guy chatted to me for almost an hour about particle physics (he was quite terrifying).

Anyway, I didn't like it as much as most people did.

Lot's of oxbridge rejects go to Durham. That or St. Andrews is my plan for when I'm an oxbridge reject.

Lol, u cant go far wrong with St Andrews tongue.gif

#65 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Sep 6 2006, 09:42 PM) View Post

My mum and dad met at Edinburgh uni. They aren't exactly posh. They're a bit wierd but in a non-posh way.

My parents met at Aberdeen Uni. Aberdeen - to them - is like The City of Love rolleyes.gif *snigger* ...they look back at it in rosy eyed spectacles methinks. And they seem so happy that I'm going there....maybe they think i'll find a husband there or something.... huh.gif

#66 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Sep 7 2006, 07:52 PM) View Post

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Sep 6 2006, 09:42 PM) View Post

My mum and dad met at Edinburgh uni. They aren't exactly posh. They're a bit wierd but in a non-posh way.

My parents met at Aberdeen Uni. Aberdeen - to them - is like The City of Love rolleyes.gif *snigger* ...they look back at it in rosy eyed spectacles methinks. And they seem so happy that I'm going there....maybe they think i'll find a husband there or something.... huh.gif

Romantic walks along the beach.
We need an XD smilie.

#67 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Sep 7 2006, 04:21 PM) View Post

*hi fives*

*misses*

maths geeks ftw biggrin.gif

#68 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Sep 7 2006, 11:26 PM) View Post

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Sep 7 2006, 04:21 PM) View Post

*hi fives*

*misses*

maths geeks ftw biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif Me and my mates always do that! It is called the "Loser high five". Yes, we are cool. cool.gif

QUOTE(nathanm @ Sep 6 2006, 09:13 PM) View Post

I was at Glasgow today...twas ace biggrin.gif

I was at general science talk (10am), chemistry demonstration (10:45), maths and stats talk (11:30), finance talk (1:45) and accomodation talk (2:30)

*tries not to sound stalker-ish*

Allana, were you in the chemistry lecture and demonstration thingy today?....i'm sure i saw you unsure.gif

Ooh sorry I just read this post.

Err, I went to a Medicine lecture but there was a chemistry lecture in the same room before it, I think. And I went early so you probably did see me.

Oh, and I was the one with the brown uniform, blue tie mad.gif Where were you??

Edit: I wouldn't have been there at the time you said, 10.45, but I would have been there about 1.15ish
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#69 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE(Richard_05 @ Sep 6 2006, 10:55 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Richard_05 @ Sep 5 2006, 07:56 PM)

o:

What stuff did you go see? Maybe we saw the same thing

At Strathclyde i went to maths, primary teaching and accounts.

Today at Glasgow went to maths, teaching, law and the tour of the theatre studies department. Glasgow was good, apart from the fact i had a splitting sore head all day... but oh wel, tis all over now. Back to school tomorow.

Haha, I was hoping you'd say maths. Was it the "fun with numbers" stuff that wasn't fun. I wasted 30 minutes their sad.gif

Yea it was the "fun with numbers thing", haha i thought it was funny!think im the only person though... blink.gif were you at the first one(cant remember the time of it)?
Grrrrrr!!

#70 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Sep 7 2006, 07:40 PM) View Post
Yeah St. Andrews is awesome. I have a question about it though, and I'm not sure who to email so I thought I'd ask you: if you get entry into second year are you still allowed to stay in the halls? (I'm not very sure about this, because I don't know if you would still be classed as a first year?)

#71 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:55 PM

Yar I was at the first one. Not by choice though dry.gif

#72 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE(Allana @ Sep 10 2006, 11:33 AM) View Post

Oh, and I was the one with the brown uniform, blue tie mad.gif Where were you??

Edit: I wouldn't have been there at the time you said, 10.45, but I would have been there about 1.15ish

hmmm....nice uniform rolleyes.gif

ah well, it couldnt have been you then smile.gif

#73 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Sep 10 2006, 07:44 PM) View Post

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Sep 7 2006, 07:40 PM) View Post
Yeah St. Andrews is awesome. I have a question about it though, and I'm not sure who to email so I thought I'd ask you: if you get entry into second year are you still allowed to stay in the halls? (I'm not very sure about this, because I don't know if you would still be classed as a first year?)

Academically you are technically in second year as you are sitting 2000 level modules, but to accomodation services you are guranteed a place in halls as you are an entrant student ie sitting your first academic session at St Andrews. This is on the proviso that you have handed in the application form by the 31st of May 2007.

Really wouldnt recommend doing direct entry by the way. Does depend what you are doing though, take it its a science? What are you doing btw out of interest?

My flatmate did it, (only 3rd year in a house full of 2nd years lol), but noone ever saw him last year, he was working all the time!

If you have any other questions, just put them up on here.

hmmm....nice uniform rolleyes.gif

ah well, it couldnt have been you then smile.gif

That uniform is nothing lol, I have to wear a big red academic gown with a burgandy collar to big fancy formal occasions to do with the uni, and trust me, that stands out quite a bit tongue.gif

#74 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Sep 11 2006, 08:42 PM) View Post
Academically you are technically in second year as you are sitting 2000 level modules, but to accomodation services you are guranteed a place in halls as you are an entrant student ie sitting your first academic session at St Andrews. This is on the proviso that you have handed in the application form by the 31st of May 2007.

Really wouldnt recommend doing direct entry by the way. Does depend what you are doing though, take it its a science? What are you doing btw out of interest?

My flatmate did it, (only 3rd year in a house full of 2nd years lol), but noone ever saw him last year, he was working all the time!

Okay, thanks very much biggrin.gif I'm hoping to do maths (probably maths with theoretical physics actually).

#75 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Sep 11 2006, 09:37 PM) View Post

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Sep 11 2006, 08:42 PM) View Post

Okay, thanks very much biggrin.gif I'm hoping to do maths (probably maths with theoretical physics actually).

Thats exactly what my flatmate did lol! 2nd year maths at St Andrews is absolutely mental. I did first year maths and even the most basic route was still equivalent to Advanced Higher (and in some parts went into more depth than it). 2nd year physics has pretty challenging labs which are a big step up from first year. In fact everything about 2nd year physics is a big step up from first year lol!

This is the sort of standard expected by the end of first year physics, (exam paper for semester 2 of 1st year)

http://exams.st-and.ac.uk/exams/viewExam?examID=9408

By doing direct entry you will be expected to be of that standard, and know all that stuff. Plus you will have to get 11/20 at least for every module you are doing (5/20 to pass, but for Honours entry 11/20, roughly about 60% is needed).

#76 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Sep 11 2006, 10:11 PM) View Post
Thats exactly what my flatmate did lol! 2nd year maths at St Andrews is absolutely mental. I did first year maths and even the most basic route was still equivalent to Advanced Higher (and in some parts went into more depth than it). 2nd year physics has pretty challenging labs which are a big step up from first year. In fact everything about 2nd year physics is a big step up from first year lol!

This is the sort of standard expected by the end of first year physics, (exam paper for semester 2 of 1st year)

By doing direct entry you will be expected to be of that standard, and know all that stuff. Plus you will have to get 11/20 at least for every module you are doing (5/20 to pass, but for Honours entry 11/20, roughly about 60% is needed).
Cool, so would I sit the first year exam when I got to St. Andrews? And when you say 11/20 for every module, do you mean every second year module?

#77 Alz

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

OOC, is anyone planning on going to the Heriot Watt open day on the 25th?

#78 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 13 September 2006 - 09:06 AM

Yes.

You!

*points*

#79 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE(John @ Sep 13 2006, 10:06 AM) View Post

Yes.

You!

*points*

Heyyy its rude to point.

#80 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Sep 12 2006, 08:53 PM) View Post

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Sep 11 2006, 10:11 PM) View Post

Cool, so would I sit the first year exam when I got to St. Andrews? And when you say 11/20 for every module, do you mean every second year module?

No, they just assume you know it. Yes 11/20 for the second year stuff is the minimum for honours entry. Good luck, your a braver soul than me, I m only just going into second year now lol!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users