Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Incompetent teachers? - HSN forum

Incompetent teachers?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:03 PM

unsure.gif I've just started back and I'm doing 3 advanced highers this year (Maths, English and Chemistry). However, in my classes, and chemistry in particular, I find that the teachers don't really know the course properly.

Often, when i ask a question, my chemistry teacher replies, "Ermm.... To be honest, I don't actually know...."

My friends don't seem to be all that bothered because they don't need their Adv. Highers, but I want to go to an English university and I do!!! I feel a similar apathy coming from certain teachers. unsure.gif

Does anyone else suffer from this syndrome?

#2 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

teachers for adv highers are like cement only thicker and not much use on a building site

adv hi should be a mostly self taught course anyways

make a complaint to year head or something

<<< post number ph34r.gif
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#3 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:31 PM

Well the AH courses are supposed to be a more "self-taught" course. To be honest I'm enjoying them more when they aren't as spoon fed as before.

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

advanced higher courses are courses which arent taught often and contain content your teacher wont have come across since he/she was 18 and in there first year at university. If i asked you to help me with standard grade graph comm if you hadnt done it since 4th year, can you honestly say you could help me. I mean i am having trouble sometimes remembering all parts of higher maths and i am the maths mod!!!!!

Your teacher i am sure will go all out to help you and research material if you get stuck but the other posters are correct its not meant to be like a more advanced, higher class its a uni style exercise

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 24 2006, 07:14 PM) View Post

Your teacher i am sure will go all out to help you and research material if you get stuck but the other posters are correct its not meant to be like a more advanced, higher class its a uni style exercise

I understand that, but if there is a fundamental question like, "What is the practical application of this?" and the teacher doesn't know, then I think they should OK! tongue.gif

My adv maths teacher is amazing. He is teaching the course for the first time and has actually done all of the work we are doing in class himself over the past year, and can show woprked examples for the entire course, and helps to put skills into practuical and historical context.

#6 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:52 PM

My adv maths teacher is completely useless. She always does it so she has worked examples for just about the entire textbook (except the ones she can't do) but she can't teach. And she says she'd probably fail adv maths. I wouldn't bother complaining about it though. If you really want to know look it up on the internet or ask here.

You do get used to the new teaching styles. Or at least work out ways to get round them, you should get some form of handout sometime so you can learn from it. Which is useful for the teachers who refuse to tell you anything and answer all questions with a question.

#7 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(spoon2001 @ Aug 24 2006, 10:03 PM) View Post

I understand that, but if there is a fundamental question like, "What is the practical application of this?" and the teacher doesn't know, then I think they should OK! tongue.gif

My adv maths teacher is amazing. He is teaching the course for the first time and has actually done all of the work we are doing in class himself over the past year, and can show woprked examples for the entire course, and helps to put skills into practuical and historical context.

this is something i have never understood. Who cares what the practical application of anything is, bottom line its in the course you will be tested on it. simple as

or am i just cynical.....its more than likily to be honest

#8 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 25 2006, 12:02 AM) View Post

this is something i have never understood. Who cares what the practical application of anything is, bottom line its in the course you will be tested on it. simple as

Most people can undertsand the purpose of learning something if they know the application of something, especially in Maths.

#9 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:12 PM

ok then so the purpose is to pass the exam apparently thats the wrong attitude to have at university but since everything i am learning now will not be used in the real world by 2010 when i graduate i have nothing else to go on

#10 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:58 PM

But other skills you should have by the time you graduate will allow you to fill the void created by time.

So in otherwords you should be able to update your skills after university, and even if what you learn right now will not be used in 10 years time, its all they have to teach you at the moment, and the skills you will gain by being taught the current technology(aswell as old technology) will allow you to understand or even create the future technology.

#11 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(John @ Aug 25 2006, 08:49 AM) View Post

Most people can undertsand the purpose of learning something if they know the application of something, especially in Maths.

Our teachers stoppped being able to tell us the practical applications of maths in 2nd year. Just accept that it's a bit pointless, unless you're doing physics or engineering.

#12 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Aug 25 2006, 09:24 PM) View Post

QUOTE(John @ Aug 25 2006, 08:49 AM) View Post

Our teachers stoppped being able to tell us the practical applications of maths in 2nd year. Just accept that it's a bit pointless, unless you're doing physics or engineering.

I'm doing neither, and i see the point in Maths. Just becuase you won't use the Maths itself, doesnt mean it is useless to continue on as far as you can cope/want to.

Being good at Maths shows that you can apply KU to unknown problems, in otherwords you are a good problem solver. It also shows you are capable to abstractly think. A good grade in Maths also shows you are capable of understanding complex theories.

So there is a point to Maths without having to be doing Physics or Engineering!

#13 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:06 PM

I thought Advanced Highers were a waste of time given that i cud just go to uni using my higher results, they should be used as a preparation for uni given the fact content is quite similar to the standards of first year uni.

I think for a subject like maths, some people need to see a point to why they are learning something, other than the fact its in the course and can be tested in exams. For me if a practical application was given it gave me a bit more motivation to learn the thing as sometimes (more in uni than school) you will be told something that isnt really 100% necessary (for example proofs of certain theorems are unlikely to be asked in an exam). Only now am i using some of the things i learned in maths in my first year to use, for my foundations of computational theory course in 2nd year.

As for teachers, well I think you kind of have to give them a bit of slack for teaching Advanced Higher, they have close to no textbooks or general resources to work from and the stuff you do at this level need to get your head around it, especially if its been a while since you learned it yourself.

#14 Guest_spoon2001_*

• Guests

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

I am the kind of person who does not learn for the sake of passsing an exam - I want my knowledge of a subject to go beyond the scope of the exam. What's the point in merely aiming to pass an exam if you don't ahve the intelligence to foot the bill when the results get you into a position you can handle if you don't undestan the work?

I think it's pathetic how little course materials there are on Adv Highers, especially in subjects like English - everything is so vague.

#15 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:18 AM

yes well who can make money from a book when the number of people sitting the qualification are in double or triple figures

#16 south lanarkshire jag

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:53 AM

i had the best AH maths teacher ever

he was able to give you practical examples on how each thing would be used and it helped me understand

still failed it tho cos i couldnt be arsed studying ph34r.gif

#17 Richard_05

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:I'm not going to sit and type my grades, nor my plans for the future, nor a random fact. :)

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:11 PM

That's not what you told me rolleyes.gif

#18 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(spoon2001 @ Aug 27 2006, 10:12 PM) View Post

I am the kind of person who does not learn for the sake of passsing an exam - I want my knowledge of a subject to go beyond the scope of the exam. What's the point in merely aiming to pass an exam if you don't ahve the intelligence to foot the bill when the results get you into a position you can handle if you don't undestan the work?

I think it's pathetic how little course materials there are on Adv Highers, especially in subjects like English - everything is so vague.

I agree with you whole heartedly, although i will admit i have just learned to pass an exam a few times lol

#19 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

My AH Chem teacher didn't have much of a clue. He just went through Scholar with us.

There are textbooks out there, not specifically for AHs but aimed at first year uni work which are helpful. Scholar recommends a few usually. They're about £30 but if you want to pass it's worth it.

(For AH Chem try Ebbing&Gammon!)
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#20 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Aug 28 2006, 07:45 PM) View Post

My AH Chem teacher didn't have much of a clue. He just went through Scholar with us.

There are textbooks out there, not specifically for AHs but aimed at first year uni work which are helpful. Scholar recommends a few usually. They're about £30 but if you want to pass it's worth it.

(For AH Chem try Ebbing&Gammon!)

Well said, I think given the similarities between first year uni and advanced higher, a lot more use of 1st year uni textbooks should be encouraged, considering the lack of demand for a textbook for advanced highers. Also allow interested people to delve deeper into a subject for interest or to go into more detail on a syllabus topic.

Hopefully by encouraging people to read around the subject more would prepare people for the kind of work you would be expected to do on your own at uni.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users