Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Edinburgh - HSN forum

Edinburgh

11 replies to this topic

#1 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:06 PM

Well there needs to be a few on the go in the next few weeks (Kyle: Aspen and The Tron anytime soon?). Anyways, I've put ID requirements in bold just in case some of you don't have valid ID (Unions are usually Student ID only like your matric card, other places usually require Valid ID).

Anyways, if you're looking for a good night out with good value drink then the following places are best:

Teviot - Sportsman's Bar has pool at 50p a game and you can usually get a pint for about 1.80 - 2.50. Bar staff are really friendly and you can get disgusting food at The Mezz or pay 4 for a good pizza at the Middle Bar (Sandwiches/Paninis also available). VERY limited seating and a few students enjoy playing shite music on the jukebox! There's also Underground which is a club, but I've never experienced it. Student ID Required after 6pm.

Potterow - Constantly have "CHEESE NIGHTS" on the go which is full of 80s, 90s pop pish. Bar Staff are a bit disgruntled. It's usually alright, but don't ask my mate Chris, he got spewed on in there! He spent 4 minutes n there one night before some guy spewed on him, then the guy waddled off to be sick in the toilets! laugh.gif There's only 2 pool tables and a very broken up jukebox! Student ID Required.

The Tron - Usually packed with students looking for cheap booze. Cheap games of pool as well and the food is quite good. Has got several floors and occasionally has a few local bands playing. Mind your head on the stairs to the toilets though! You can occasionally get away with not having valid ID here.

Centro - The union for Pollock Halls. You're guaranteed to get wrecked for less than 10 in here with the price of drink. No jukebox but they usually leave MTV on the big screens. Only 2 pool tables and I still have a grudge against the bar staff for not giving me free drink on my birthday laugh.gif I don't think I've ever had a bad night in Centro. Really good place for making new friends though. smile.gif Staff usually ID most.

The Standing Order (Wetherspoons) - On George Street (Behind Princes Street). Fantastic value for money for food and drink with good bar staff and a decent atmosphere (beware it is usually packed though). They just put TVs in not all that long ago and as far as I remember (I was drunk at the time!) there was no music on. ID Required.

The Crags - One of the Scream pubs just opposite The Commonwealth Pool and Pollock Halls. It's usually quite busy and is quite good value for money. Bar Staff are very friendly and they have a wide variety of games. Not tried the food in there but I presume it's alright. They also have a beer garden off to the side which is great for the summer months. ID Required.

The Pear Tree - Just beside Appleton Tower, I've only been in there once but in the summer they do barbecue deals on Steak and Fosters. biggrin.gif Sometimes you'll get away with no ID in here.

Can't really think of any other places I've been to but feel free to add your own reviews. smile.gif

#2 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 29 August 2006 - 02:02 AM

Well I'm back on the 14th and looking forward to going out and getting mangled! biggrin.gif
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#3 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:49 AM

Haha, as long as that's not the only way one can spend a night out.

#4 Lynnphocite

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, theatre, guitar, music, dancing, gigging.. anything arty really.

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:48 PM

Subway, Cowgate, on a Wednesday night, 1 a drink! No student ID required for drink, but they sometimes (rarely) ID on the door. IMO, Opium just next door is better for indie music, but drink is a wee bit more pricey.

#5 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:53 PM

Who cares how often they ID us, if we're overage, we don't need to worry anyway. tongue.gif

#6 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitar, computing, football(I'm a Killie fan), hanging out with my friends, drinking, girls, playing pool, reading and watching TV and DVDs.<br /><br />I'm currently at Edinburgh University in my 2nd year of Computer Science.

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Lynnphocite @ Sep 2 2006, 04:48 PM) View Post
Subway, Cowgate, on a Wednesday night, 1 a drink! No student ID required for drink, but they sometimes (rarely) ID on the door. IMO, Opium just next door is better for indie music, but drink is a wee bit more pricey.

Oh dear, the Scrubway. pinch.gif What they don't mention to you is that you're lucky if you get out alive!

Anyways:

Aspen - Fantastic for shots and cocktails! Also Monday night is 50% off your bill if you have a Aspen Loyalty Card. Members of the EUSSC get cheaper booze too. Good atmosphere and nice bar.

Frankensteins - EXPENSIVE, but great for a night out. Decent enough music and most of the folk are pretty cool. Bar staff are friendly enough, but like I said, expect to pay 3+ for a pint.

Brass Monkey - Fun and decent enough pricing. Has a room that is a huge bed (shows movies and stuff). Space Invaders and Pacman in the smaller room! Don't be surprised by the Unisex Toilets! Someone, no names, was pretty wrecked and thought he'd wandered into the wrong toilet when a bunch of women came in so ended up running the hell out of there saying stuff like - "I'm sorry! I thought this was the mens". pinch.gif

#7 Lynnphocite

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, theatre, guitar, music, dancing, gigging.. anything arty really.

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:38 PM

Subway's fine really. I've been most Wednesday nights since about April and I've never seen any bother there. Scrubway on Lothian Road however..

#8 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:07 AM

Aspen is good like Scott said. Join the EUSSC (Edinburgh Uni Snowsports Club) and get 1 drinks on certain nights! tongue.gif

Opium - 1 drinks on Sundays. Plays decent music - metal, rock etc. tongue.gif

#9 Vixus

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

That Brass Monkey place sounds interesting. Where is it? biggrin.gif

#10 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:59 AM

It is on Drummond Street, just over from the Geography building - a stone's throw from the CSE gym.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#11 Scott

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:25 AM

Cargo - Out in the west end. Good prices for drink if you have a Student Recommended card. Is usually packed with students, but it's a pretty nice place to go if you're out near Lothian Road and wanting to avoid the neds. ID Required

Junction Bar - Brendan convinced me to watch the football here...It's an old man's bar! Has one pool table and was full of neds and old men. Is more expensive than the majority of student places in town. ID Required

#12 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:28 AM

Nice reviews Scott. Carling is only [pound sign]1.51 a pint though. It is fairly close to where I live too. Cargo is very nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users