Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Buddie Scheme - HSN forum

Buddie Scheme

32 replies to this topic

#1 Chicken

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:17 PM

Does anybody's school do a buddy scheme where you make friends with a first year? If so do you enjoy it?

#2 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

Ours has it for the first time this year. I cant say im looking forward to it overlly especially since the "training" was a complete waste of time lol.

#3 Chicken

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:58 PM

We just had our induction day today. Gonna become a Prefect and a buddy.

#4 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

We dont have prefects in my school. Im doing pretty much whatever they offer, buddying, student tutoring and paired learning is what im aware of so far.

#5 Chicken

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

Student Tutoring sounds interesting. We also have a paired reading scheme at my school which I did last year.

#6 Gill

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(Dhesi @ Aug 18 2006, 04:45 PM) View Post

I cant say im looking forward to it overlly especially since the "training" was a complete waste of time lol.

our training was pretty pointless too especially as i've forgotten it all already, we played games and drew pictures for the whole day
although we did get free lunch which meant we got a baked potato, that was pretty good

i might apply for peer support too, although don't know if i could control a class of 1st/2nd years unsure.gif

#7 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:44 PM

I've signed up for buddying but I missed both training days (balloons and band). I think they'll let me do it anyway, they seem pretty keen to reduce our frees. Theres classroom buddies (reading etc) and playground buddies (bullying etc). Think I'll be a classroom buddy.
TBH the people I have my free with were beginning to annoy me so much I'd be happy to help with just about anything.

Everyone did buddying in p7 (with a p1) in my primary school. That was fun, we got to go down and play with them once a week.

#8 Abyssinia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

I've never heard of this scheme being practiced at my school. In primary school, when we were in P7 we were allocated a "buddie" from the nursery, and we'd basically have to read them books. S1 pupils aren't exactly at that sort of level, though!

#9 pinkmartini

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:40 PM

We have it at my school but it's something that lasts the first few days and thats it. All we have to do is show them where all the classes are, make sure they get lunch ok and things like that so we dont get any kind of training. The school are keen to keep it going throughout the year but they don't know how. I don't really enjoy it because I feel I can't relate to them and it always ends up being very awkward and I felt exactly the same way when i was in first year and had a sixth year buddy.

We also have peer education where we help the teachers in the younger classes.

#10 WiLsOnx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

You all got training???!

We were just landed with some 1st years and were expected to speak to them and make friends and stuff!

#11 Rebecca..x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:20 PM

Yeah my skools been runnin it for years. A can remember bn in 1rst year n thinking wot is the point in this. And now am the buddy i can see them looking at me thinking who r you n why r u doin this lol.

#12 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:27 PM

I've got my buddy now. He's alright, I don't really think he needs any help but I'm going into maths (which he is good at) one period a week and french (which he doesnt like) another day. He was one of the ones who asked for a buddy so I've been ok but my friend is on her 4th.

#13 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:07 PM

Meh, I hated this buddy thing last year. I kind of landed all 4 of mine off with my friend Leanne, she didn't mind.

One thing I did take part in ...well, i suppose i was kind of forced... was to do the classroom help and student tutoring things, for some art classes. Basically just involved taking a wee group of kids out from their class and showing htem how to do little projects - like photography (and developing), photograms, marble painting, etc. Basically stuff that Colin (artist in residence) showed me how to do. It is not the kind of thing I usually get involved in but I enjoyed it, because it is one of the things I feel confident and capable of doing.

#14 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:17 AM

I was a buddy...utterly pointless. They had learning support staff, who did the job for you anyway.
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#15 Gill

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

I'm still waiting on a buddy

i don't think the school has even told the first years about it yet dry.gif

#16 alex

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:46 PM

we have peer support, and paired reading for the class with the most learning support pupils, they realy enjoy it cos it means they get out of class for 15 mins and sit in the library reading.

#17 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

I had a wee buddy called Alex. He actually hated me. It was fun. He threw my bag into the bin.

My friend neil had a buddy person who really was quite thick. We used to laugh at the poor boy the minute him and my wee guy were returned to their class.

I actually enjoyed it, it was a bit of a challenge plus Mr Honeyman was guranteed to walk past tongue.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#18 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

I have a buddy this year, two actually. Really sweet girls. They love me 'cause they get a period of out class where I teach them crafty stuff. Oh yes.
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#19 Floob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

I've got 4 buddies. Im really lucky because mine are all sweet.
We go and see them about once a week during registration and that's it. None of mine ever seem to have any problems which is great and makes life easy for me.
Im sure they think me and my friend are really weird rolleyes.gif but hey

#20 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

My wee brother's first year buddy was the one girl I ever hated in 6th year.

Dont know why we hated each other. Something to do with her being from Tain and me beign from Dingwall. It clashed badly!

The buddy I had in 6th year came back as a student art teacher in my 6th year. Now that was weird.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users