Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
3 Advanced Highers + a crash Higher - HSN forum

3 Advanced Highers + a crash Higher

9 replies to this topic

#1 Abyssinia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:10 PM

I'm considering doing the following subjects next year:

Advanced Higher Computing
Advanced Higher History
Advanced Higher Maths
Higher Modern Studies

It would fill up my timetable, but it seems like a lot of work which will be hard and very demanding. In terms of results, I attained As for the three I might be doing at Advanced Higher, and I've not taken Mod Studs since S2.

What I'd like to know is, ideally from anyone who's taken this sort of workload in S6, is it as hard as I think it will be? Is it an "unbearable" burden? I'd like to keep as many options open as possible, but not to the point where it'll be just as hard a year as S5 was in terms of the workload.

#2 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:41 PM

I was planning on taking AH Chemistry, AH Physics, AH Maths and Higher Human Biology as a crash. I was told that im more than capable but I decided I didnt need/want the pressure. I'd say speak to guidance.

#3 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:23 PM

Well, if you enjoy every subject then you might aswell do them. I'm sure you realise that it would be alot of work, but if you are an A student at higher then you shouldn't find the advanced highers too difficult. I reckon it would be as heavy a workload as S5 (I'm assuming you took five highers here), so it's up to you to decide that. Maybe you could start off doing them and just drop one if you find it too hard?

As dhesi said, speak to your guidance teacher, but your guidance teacher will probably tell you to drop one. My guidance teacher told me to drop subjects and it got to the stage where I have to pretend that I'm only doing 3 out of my 5 subjects with him, they are generally very keen to see you doing the usual S6 helping out stuff instead of more academic stuff. So by all means listen to what (s)he says, but remember that they are probably biased.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#4 Allana

Child Prodigy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Feel free to add me to your MSN, and I'll be happy to answer any questions on there.<br /><br />Standard Grade Results 2005<br /><br />8 ones in english, maths, chemistry, biology, physics, modern studies, graphics and french<br /><br />Higher Results 2006:<br /><br />Maths - A<br />English - A<br />Chemistry - A<br />Human Biology - A<br />Modern Studies - A<br /><br />In 6th Year I will be studying Chemistry, Biology and English all to Advanced Higher Level.<br /><br />Applying to study Medicine for 2007 entry :)

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

In my opinion, I reckon the 3 advanced highers would be sufficient enough. However, If you know that you'll enjoy the higher and not find it too difficult then by all means take it. If you don't mind not having much free periods then doing the 4 wouldn't be a problem tongue.gif

Initially, I planned on taking AH Chemistry, AH Biology, AH English and Higher Politics. I spoke to my guidance teacher about whether or not to drop the advanced higher and she said, despite being capable of doing the 4, I would be giving myself more work which isn't actually essential.

So there's my little experience for you, but at the end of the day it's your choice. I know someone who did 4 Advanced Highers and a crash higher and coped perfectly fine. That would kill me though. tongue.gif
Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons, but when all is said and done, they have one thing in common -- they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity... and in a flash, they're gone.

#5 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

You can if you like, remember you can always drop one. I started my AH biology, chemistry, maths + H geography before the summer and I'm not planning on dropping anything yet. It was a fair amount of work (one teacher said that 2AH = 3H in terms of workload and I'd say they were right) but it's not too bad. Most of the people who are doing 3AH = H are planning on dropping a subject but thats just because we all had to take at least 4 subjects before the summer.
I'd say start it and see how it goes. And if you do need to drop a subject you'll know which you like least.
AH maths looks like a lot of work.

#6 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

Give it a bash i say, you find it too difficult, drop one.

You'll only really get one shot at it, best to regret what you have done and not what you haven't done.

#7 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ Aug 13 2006, 07:02 PM) View Post
AH maths looks like a lot of work.
I wouldn't say it was that bad. There are alot of new things to learn and it's definately harder than higher, but there's nothing completely ridiculous in it and a good chunk of the course is just extending the calculus from the previous year. The only thing I can think of that is totally new is the matrices and number theory, so I reckon it's a logical follow-on from the higher course. To be honest I think History would be the biggest workload out of the subjects the threadstarter is taking (but I've not done much history so I'm going by others opinions)

QUOTE(John)
Give it a bash i say, you find it too difficult, drop one.

You'll only really get one shot at it, best to regret what you have done and not what you haven't done.
I agree with this smile.gif
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#8 kjh*

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

Seems so far the advice given is what I would say. Last year I did 3 Advanced Highers - Chemistry Biology & Maths and a crash Higher - Psychology which I'd never done before. I also had other commitments in school such as yearbook. I think to cope with it you just have to stay on top of everything, doing stuff when you get it but I'm sure you're aware of that. As everyone else has said if you feel that you can't cope it's easy enough to drop one but if you do manage all 4 of your subjects it feels great when you get to the end of the year and get your results which shows you coped with it all.

#9 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE(Abyssinia @ Aug 12 2006, 07:10 PM) View Post

Advanced Higher History

great course that, you can turn up for half the lessons half cut and not bother the rest and still pass
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#10 Abyssinia

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

Well, I've decided against doing the 3 AHs and will be taking Computing and History, as well as Modern Studies. Many thanks for all the replies, they helped me a lot in reaching this decision.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users