Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Medicine - HSN forum

Medicine

143 replies to this topic

#1 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:52 PM

Part of the closed topic Dentistry, Medicine and Law but only for medicine as the other topic was becoming very overcrowded
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#2 Star

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:51 PM

Good thinking starting a new topic smile.gif Which med schools are ever1 applying 2? I was thinking Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh + sum where English

#3 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(Star @ Aug 22 2004, 08:51 PM)
Good thinking starting a new topic  smile.gif  Which med schools are ever1 applying 2? I was thinking Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh + sum where English

View Post

aburdeen

the best medical schools this year are newcastle and edinburgh!

oxbridge is losing out!! worst one in uk is supposed to be in scotland, maybe u know what it is...

#4 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:33 PM

From what I've heard, those University tables compiled by the newspapers aren't that reliable.

I think one year Newcastle was quite low for Medicine and the next it was top! ohmy.gif

It all depends on your personal preference.

#5 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE(Star @ Aug 22 2004, 08:51 PM)
Good thinking starting a new topic  smile.gif  Which med schools are ever1 applying 2? I was thinking Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh + sum where English

View Post

thats not based purely on league tables

#6 Star

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:27 PM

I may apply to St. Andrews as a 4th choice - it's not one of the best but u do get 2 move to Machester later on

#7 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 24 August 2004 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(Star @ Aug 24 2004, 07:27 PM)
I may apply to St. Andrews as a 4th choice - it's not one of the best but u do get 2 move to Machester later on

View Post

Has it not changed to Edinburgh University now?

#8 Douglas

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:19 PM

Planning applying to Aberdeen,Dundee, Edinburgh and ST Andrews. The grades i've got are'nt that great though but hopefully can get conditionals. Trying to sort work experience out but it has become such a hastle.

#9 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:30 PM

When you say your grades aren't that great, what do you mean, as at the Glasgow open day Ann Lomsdon the admissions dean said not to bother applying if you dont have at least AAAAB.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#10 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Sep 8 2004, 12:30 PM)
When you say your grades aren't that great, what do you mean, as at the Glasgow open day Ann Lomsdon the admissions dean said not to bother applying if you dont have at least AAAAB.

View Post

You know Werlop, there are some universities where the entry requirements aren't as high, for example dundee (AAABB)

Douglas, if you are worried about your grades, it would probably be worth contacting the universities you are interested in just to check. You could always use your other two course choices for some medical based science course and possibly change to medicine at a later date, or study medicine after completing a science degree. smile.gif

Laura

#11 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 08 September 2004 - 05:41 PM

You could always use your other two course choices for some medical based science course and possibly change to medicine at a later date, or study medicine after completing a science degree. 

Laura

I have AAAAB and I am thinking about applying to medicine but I'm really not sure. I don't suppose you know what kind of science course I could do that may make it easier to change to medicine at a later date? I'm not keen on doing one degree for 3/4 years and then spending another 5/6 doing medicine!

For everyone applying to medicine have you been told to start getting your application ready now? I was supposed to tell my DHT last week but didn't... I'm in trouble.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#12 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 05:50 PM

omg you haven't started yet!

u have barely a month left!

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Sep 8 2004, 05:41 PM)

You could always use your other two course choices for some medical based science course and possibly change to medicine at a later date, or study medicine after completing a science degree. 

Laura

I have AAAAB and I am thinking about applying to medicine but I'm really not sure. I don't suppose you know what kind of science course I could do that may make it easier to change to medicine at a later date? I'm not keen on doing one degree for 3/4 years and then spending another 5/6 doing medicine!

For everyone applying to medicine have you been told to start getting your application ready now? I was supposed to tell my DHT last week but didn't... I'm in trouble.

View Post

Edit: james1 please don't use capital letters when posting.

#13 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:41 PM

The guy I'm seeing is doing medicine at Glasgow and he says it is fab.

So there you go.

He tells me all about cutting up dead people. It's... lovely.

#14 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Sep 8 2004, 05:41 PM)

Laura

View Post

Hey smile.gif

I'm afraid I don't really know about the science courses because it's never been something I've considered. I would say a medicine related science would help - maybe biomedical science or anatomical science? Look through a few prospectuses. You could e-mail some universities, or speak to a careers advisor at school maybe...? Sorry, I know that's not very helpful smile.gif

As for the application process, the deadline for medicine applications is October 15th, we have been told to have our personal statement ect. done by the end of this week to give time for teachers to write references etc, and I think the school sends them on about October 8th (we do it online)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful sad.gif

Laura

#15 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE(xpurple_starsx @ Sep 8 2004, 05:55 PM)
Thanks for that James1, really helpful information  dry.gif

If you don't have anything helpful to say please refrain from saying anything.

View Post

ur welcome

reminding you of the dates are important

#16 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:24 PM

If you you don't get into medicine what do you think you will do. I don't think I would take my backup choices, rather take a year out and apply again next year.

Incidentally what are everyone's backup choices?
user posted image

#17 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Sep 9 2004, 07:24 PM)
If you you don't get into medicine what do you think you will do. I don't think I would take my backup choices, rather take a year out and apply again next year.

Incidentally what are everyone's backup choices?

View Post

I don't have any backup choices - there is nothing else I want to do other than medicine. I would probably take a gap year and re-apply next year.

#18 Star

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:49 PM

I'll probably just pick 2 random science courses as backups - and then cry if i don't get into medicine

#19 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:52 PM

Well, I now have unconditionals for my 2 "backup" although it is very unlikely that I will take them up.

I had my interview for Glasgow today and I think it went relatively well.
user posted image

#20 Laura

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Nov 16 2004, 10:52 PM)
Well, I now have unconditionals for my 2 "backup" although it is very unlikely that I will take them up.

I had my interview for Glasgow today and I think it went relatively well.

View Post

well done on your unconditionals, and also for the interview at glasgow!
do you mind me asking you a few questions? I havn't applied to glasgow, but I have an interview at sheffield next week. What kind of questions did they ask you, and how long did the interview last? Thanks in advance for any help, it's much appreciated smile.gif

Laura

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users