Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Java - HSN forum

Java

7 replies to this topic

#1 Flaming_Lip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 01:09 AM

Having studied Pascal in third and fourth year I was left more than a little puzzled as I learned we would be using Java for Higher.

As I began to familiarise myself with the language during the three weeks before summer I realised that I wasn't infact familiarising - I don't bloody understand it. Any of it!

Can anyone help me?

#2 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:44 AM

Welcome to the forum smile.gif

I first came across Java at university - it is quite strange at first, but once you get used to it, it is quite easy to use.

If you do a search for a Java tutorial, you will probably come across the same information each time. There will be things about how to print out strings etc, with no details of why the commands are so longwinded (with dots and everything). This is what I found confusing.

Probably at school, all you will be using are the basic control structures: for...next, if...then, do...while etc. so you don't really need to know much more than that.

The syntax (with curly brackets) is, I think, fairly similar to Pascal so this shouldn't be a problem.

Is it things like "System.out.println()" that are confusing you? I'm not an expert, but I could try explaining this to you if this is the problem.

Another thing that could be confusing is Java's obsession with the type of variables. All variables must be initialised (I think) and you must specify their type (though this can be more vague than you would think).

Maybe it's the strange naming of the main "method" which you are just told to type "public static void main" in the tutorials without it being explained.

If you can tell me what it is that you are having trouble with, I'll try to help.
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

i am so happy someone is doing Java at Higher. What school are you at? I always thought java was a logical choice, its free dont you know

As for help with Java we have like 4 Computer Scientists on the board and some are even quite good at it wink.gif

The way i was taught at uni was less about the language of java, since it consists of like 13 keyboards, and more about object orientated programming

Pm me or msn me about what exactly you need explained

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

I was taught from angles, I had two streams in my first semester, one about object orientation, then one about java programming basics, the two streams then came together very nicely in the middle of the module and this approach worked very well. If you want I can send you some lecture notes on Java, all very comprehensive and simple to understand.

I think its good that a school is finally adopting Java, PM me if you would like the notes or anything is needing clarified. The key with java is to understand the object orientation approach used in it. Its better to understand this first before you try to understand the syntax. For Higher Computing the notes for up to week 4 for my first year course CS1002 would do you.

#5 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:37 PM

Java looks fun and relatively easy, i'm set to enjoy myself with Java

#6 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Graphics, vBulletin, PHP, Hacking, Web scripts, Maths, and more...

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

Yeah, Java is quite easy to use and free.. I wish I had it at Higher.. wink.gif
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
---------------------------------------------
Going to Uni next year!

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:29 PM