Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Axios 'A' Star Awards - HSN forum

Axios 'A' Star Awards

21 replies to this topic

#1 lozyness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:26 AM

Hey,
Do all you females know about the A Star awards?
If you don't then listen up. All females taking computing have been entered into a competition automatically (this is only what i've been told btw, it might not be relivant to some schools).
Go to http://www.axiossystems.com/astar/3/ to find out more.
I was just wondering how many other females take AH Computing, cause the less amount of people that took it... the higher the chance of me getting a new laptop tongue.gif

C ya...
Loz

#2 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:53 AM

I'm not female, but I'm going to stick my nose in anyway tongue.gif This is the way I've read it;

If you don't then listen up. All females taking computing have been entered into a competition automatically (this is only what i've been told btw, it might not be relivant to some schools).

It's not true that you've been entered. It's true that you may have been entered, provided you are one of the top 10 candidates at either Higher or Advanced Higher. However, you do have a very good chance of being entered, considering that there was only 62 female candidates sitting AH computing last year, and in comparison, there was 502 female candidates sitting the Higher and probably about 2000 sitting A-level

I was just wondering how many other females take AH Computing, cause the less amount of people that took it... the higher the chance of me getting a new laptop

Well, you'll be competing against 29 other candidates (if you are one of the top 10 at AH) and then to be in line for a laptop, you must be the best candidate out of all the Higher, Advanced Higher and A-level

Sorry to lessen your hope, but you never know, it might happen

#3 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:03 AM

Also this kind of thing is actually illegal made so by the Sex Discrimination Act.

But no one would challenge it as it would be seen as Sex Discrimination, but one for males would be challenged faster than the speed of light.

It's the same with Car Insurance, and other things like that. Although Diamond Car Insurance arent as sexist anymore, they allow men to be put on the females car insurance now.

Anyway, that's my rant over with.

As you can see i am jealous of the favouritism given to pupils for Computing this year, and favouritism of positive discrimination towards women.

#4 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:41 AM

I'm taking it. I'll give it a look. But I am against the whole, "Whoa, you're a girl and you're taking AH Computing? We're going to have to give you special treatment because there's no way a girl is going to handle it!" mentality. It happened in Higher Physics too, all the girls got given a questionaire to fill out, because Physics and Computer are apparently not girls subjects, and they wondered why we weren't chained to the sinks of Home Ec. The whole topic annoys me, but thanks for posting about it, I wouldn't have known otherwise. smile.gif

Edit: After reading through the site a bit, it seems that the top ten exam results (assuming they use exam results...) for Higher/Adv Higher/A Level go to the finals, and stuff happens, and the best girl studying Computing wins a laptop. So you'd be 'fighting' against those who took Higher AND Adv Higher AND A Level. *shrug* I don't really like the competition, like Sodium_Ho says, favouritism of positive discrimination towards women really freaking irritates me. tongue.gif But thanks for the link lozyness, we're not flaming against you.
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#5 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 01 July 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Blondie @ Jul 1 2006, 12:41 PM) View Post

It happened in Higher Physics too, all the girls got given a questionaire to fill out, because Physics and Computer are apparently not girls subjects, and they wondered why we weren't chained to the sinks of Home Ec.

laugh.gif would be quite funny to see that. I agree with blondie and obviously Sodium_ho. It is true there is less girls doing dry sciences and things like technical and computer science based subjects (computing and info tech)
this as far as i can see is only because its not something the fairer sex find interesting and why is that bad, you dont see many boys doing bio (who arent wanting to be docters) or home econ but nobody really cares.

Having said all that the girls that are taking computing are the coolest, more intelligent people aint they blondie and lozyness wink.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#6 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 1 2006, 07:58 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Blondie @ Jul 1 2006, 12:41 PM) View Post

It happened in Higher Physics too, all the girls got given a questionaire to fill out, because Physics and Computer are apparently not girls subjects, and they wondered why we weren't chained to the sinks of Home Ec.

laugh.gif would be quite funny to see that. I agree with blondie and obviously Sodium_ho. It is true there is less girls doing dry sciences and things like technical and computer science based subjects (computing and info tech)
this as far as i can see is only because its not something the fairer sex find interesting and why is that bad, you dont see many boys doing bio (who arent wanting to be docters) or home econ but nobody really cares.

Having said all that the girls that are taking computing are the coolest, more intelligent people aint they blondie and lozyness wink.gif

I agree with the Science bit, but not Computing.

The girls in last years Higher Computing class were quite neddy. Although my Higher Computing class the only girl wasnt neddy at all, very far from it.

Other than that yes.

#7 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:55 AM

I was one out of three girls in my Higher Computing class, one I didn't really know (6th year), the other was a tad on the emo side. And I'm the only girl in my AH Computing class, so yeah, gotta agree with you there Dave. wink.gif
-Blondie.

Crafting Journal!

#8 lozyness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:44 PM

Heh,
I agree with the views that this is sexest, but I also think that more females need to come into computing and this is the way to do it most successfully. I mean I'm doing computer science at uni next year and at the open day there was no girls there. If I was a bit less determind to make it that would surey put a bit of doubt into my mind.
Saying this I think that the competition should be made fair, since i think this will attract more people of both sexes... which is needed now-a-days after the dot com boom.
Loz

P.S Note that I'm saying this after the year it applies to me tongue.gif

#9 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

whats this all about. Since i joined this site there has never been any girls interesting in computing. Now we have 2 going to do comp sci next year! Weird

In my higher class there was 2 girls who were resitting and when i was in S6 there was just one girl

Edit: Your both going to Strathclyde aint you wink.gif

#10 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:07 PM

Heriot Watt for Robotics and Cybertronics, I'm afraid. tongue.gif
-Blondie.

Crafting Journal!

#11 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:10 PM

i know someone who did robotics there actually. NEver saw him after he left school so that is where my story ends. Exciting story wasnt it

#12 Moniker42

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

I think most of the girls that decide to do computing in standard grade and higher just choose it because they can go on the internet all day

#13 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:00 PM

erm i would think those people do admin really

#14 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:36 PM

50% or less of the people that chose Computing and Administration in my years did so probably for that reason, as they were mostly bafoons. lol

#15 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 5 2006, 02:00 PM) View Post

erm i would think those people do admin really

laugh.gif that made me laugh....

i'm the only girl in my AH Computing class also. i was the only girl in Higher last year too

#16 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:24 PM

i aim to entertain biggrin.gif

#17 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(Moniker42 @ Jul 5 2006, 03:11 AM) View Post

I think most of the girls and guys that decide to do computing in standard grade and higher just choose it because they can go on the internet all day

Fixed.

Yeah, sorry, but I think you're wrong. But seriously though, in a discussion about equality of girls and guys in computing, that was a pretty damn stupid statement to make.

But I'll be nice, I received my first pay check today.
-Blondie.

Crafting Journal!

#18 lozyness

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 2 2006, 10:08 PM) View Post

Edit: Your both going to Strathclyde aint you wink.gif

I'm hopefully going to strath yea... if i meet the required grades (2 B's and a C) (this may not sound hard but the adv maths exam was -hard-)
Loz

#19 Moniker42

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:27 AM

well there was only one girl in higher last year, she mostly ran around pretend screaming "i don't know what any of this means, someone help!" tongue.gif

aaaand got an A in her prelim.. lol, like every other subject... dry.gif

the 4-5 girls in my standard grade class were all annoying neds and went on the internet and back-talked the teacher all day (which wasn't so bad in that respect laugh.gif ) our advanced higher class is a composite with the higher class, and the 1 girl in that higher class is an incessantly talking ned

"OHH... MY... GOD!!! DIDCHEW SEE BIG BROTHER LAST NIGHT?!? WHAT WAS HE THINKING. I MEAN.. OH. MY. GOD. THERE IS SOMETHIN SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH... OHMIGOD!! I CAN SEE MY HOUSE ON GOOGLE EARTH!!!! IT'S LIKE... IT'S ON THERE ON THE COMPUTER LIKE.. AND EVERYONE CAN... OH.MY.GOD. YOU KNOW I ONLY MOVED INTO THAT HOUSE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO AND BEFORE THEN I LIVED IN RUGGIE MAIN STREET, ANYONE HERE EVER LIVED IN RUGGIE MAIN STREET? IT'S A -PURE- DUMP INNIT?" (and so on till the end of the period) huh.gif

anyhoo my point was only based on my experiences, i wasn't stereotyping...

stereotyping can be fun though, for example when your social ed teacher has made a point about stereotyping and backs it up with the fact that they have a student home ec teacher who is a guy in the school - maybe the right thing to blurt out wasn't "he's probably gay anyway..."
rolleyes.gif i can laugh now... now that the scars have healed... sad.gif

#20 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

maybe she was just pretending she needed help so you would help her wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users