Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
textbooks - HSN forum

textbooks

5 replies to this topic

#1 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

just wondering what textbooks you 'lot' use. we were given 'understanding physics' for advanced level
but i have an old version along with some other people, while other have new versions, and since its old its missing parts/ parts arent relevant all the diagrams etc are rubbish and its basically just all text...all 400 pages. (554 to be exact mad.gif )

so i was wondering if you could tell me what books you use and whether they are good or not as i am prepared to buy them.

#2 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:05 PM

Ah the joys of trying to actually find material for these AH courses tongue.gif

We've not actually got textbooks for the course, or at least not yet, but I did come across a nice book when I was in the school library (which was really lucky, because it's like the only science book in the whole library). It's this one, I'm not too sure if it's all entirely relavant to the course but it seems to be a good book. It's under the A&AS section on Amazon, so I'm pretty confident it's around the right level. When I'm in the library tomorrow I'll check up on the AH syllabus and have a look through the book so I can tell you how relavant it is.

Edit - Yeah it seems to be pretty good, you might want to try and find it in your library or something.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#3 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

My mates use fundamentals of physics by halliday for their second year (and they used it in their first year course) uni physics courses. Will cover everything in the advanced higher and if you carry on physics into university it will cover everything that you will need for at least the first two years of the course.

#4 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:22 PM

university physics by Benson covers the whole advanced higher course. problem is, it'll also have bits in it that are slightly beyond the advanced higher, since it is (obviously!) a university level text book!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#5 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:53 PM

We have a Heriot Watt scholar book thingy for each topic. Woo!
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#6 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE(Blondie @ Jun 23 2006, 07:53 PM) View Post

We have a Heriot Watt scholar book thingy for each topic. Woo!

yea we will probably get them as well as we just got them for maths on friday. but lates face it Scholar isnt exactly great. all it is is 100,000,000 words per page, and its just the same as what it is online minus some of the exercises.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users