Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
best personal study? - HSN forum - Page 2

best personal study?

53 replies to this topic

#21 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

The Colour Purple is always a good personal study choice
Its striking to say the least. I wont tell you what its about but many of the central themes are quite shocking.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#22 lipu

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

Catcher in the Rye is good - I did it last year and passed the PS first time with flying colours!
Law and Management Student
Robert Gordon University

------
George Orwell provided us with a warning, not an Instruction Manual
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little termporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety

Without freedom to offend, freedom of expression ceases to exist

#23 herbeey

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

I suggest doing a play. There's the added dimension of being performed that makes it easier to find stuff to analyse. Shakespeare being the best, as there is infinite support material lying around for that.

I haven't read it, but talking to a friend, it sounded like 1984 would've been my book of choice if I'd have gone for a book.
Signatures suck. They clog up websites and serve no purpose.

#24 djh1878

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Interests:Football: I'm a Clyde fan!!!<br /><br />Music: Oasis, Guns 'n' Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Franz Ferdinand, Snow Patrol, The Killers etc... and I'm a drummer!!!<br /><br />Golf: 18 handicap (I know...rubbish!)<br /><br />Exam Results:<br />SG - 11111222<br />Higher - AAABBC<br />Adv Higher - C<br /><br />I'm going to Aberdeen Uni to do French and International Relations in September!

Posted 28 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

If anyone wants a simple, uncomplicated but exciting read with tons of info and stuff to write about, Lord Of The Flies is a winner. smile.gif
Check Out My Space! - www.myspace.com

Aberdeen University - French and International Relations - September 06'

IPB Image

#25 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 28 August 2006 - 08:04 PM

I did Abomination, dont ask any questions though, it was nearly two years ago i done it, lol

#26 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

i did Junk by Melvin Burgess. can't exactly remember what my question was, something about the relationship between the 2 main characters i think. was a good book to do, good to read & hasn't been done to death!!

QUOTE(John @ Aug 28 2006, 09:04 PM) View Post

I did Abomination, dont ask any questions though, it was nearly two years ago i done it, lol

mine was 4 years ago. eeks, thats a depressing thought!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#27 alex

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ Aug 29 2006, 12:08 AM) View Post

i did Junk by Melvin Burgess. can't exactly remember what my question was, something about the relationship between the 2 main characters i think. was a good book to do, good to read & hasn't been done to death!!

we are watching the film of that in PSE, it seems a good film, might read the book.

#28 titan

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

I chose a really wierd thing to do, i chose to do my personal study about the book, escape from Colditz, which is unusual bcos its not a story, its a personal account of the way people lived and the things they did in the castle during the war. My english teacher wasnt sure at first but when i did it, he took my personal study to a meeting with him and told other english teachers, (they were all heads of there departments too) and they thought it was well written and i got points for originality, and i passed ,thankfully, but i passed reallly really well, i was quite chuffed, lol. however if i was to do it again, i would chose the book, "the magic flute" it is spectacular, so good and i think everyone can relate tothis piece. also there are so many things to write about . titan biggrin.gif
TITAN :D

#29 kirstyprice90

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:My bebo http://kirstyprice90.bebo.com<br /><br />May 2005:<br /><br />* Intermediate 1 maths (1,2 and 3) - A<br /><br />May 2006:<br /><br />* Intermediate 2 English - A<br />* Intermediate 2 Computing - A<br />* Intermediate 2 Maths (1,2,3) - No Award<br />* S.G History - 1<br />* S.G Modern Studies - 1<br />* S.G French - 1<br />* S.G Chemistry - 1<br />* S.G Religious Studies - 1<br /><br />May 2007<br /><br />* Higher English<br />* Higher Geography<br />* Higher History<br />* Higher Modern Studies<br />* Higher RMPS

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:58 PM

Last year in 4th year for int 2 i did Jekyll and Hyde, I think the question was something about how Jekyll and Hyde's relationship parallels to good vs evil and I passed. This year I'm doing Animal Farm by George Orwell. I found it quite enjoyable as I studied the Russian Revolution in standard grade history so I can see where thpse events parallel to those on the farm.
My Bebo: Bebo!

#30 Amy Renee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Shopping, sleeping, day-dreaming, boys &amp; partyinggg!

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:42 PM

I did Catcher in the Rye.

Seriously the easiest thing ever. It's so simple, plus you can get York Notes on it, which really help.
is romance on the cards,
or will i present another faulty hand?

#31 Kiltox

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

I'm using Resurrection Men by Ian Rankin for my personal study.

Regretting it now since my question sucks and I've failed the first attempt at an essay biggrin.gif

#32 xxash-bashxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Music. playing music ect ect . i like what most girls like lol wanna know more msg me x

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hay i have my personal study nab tommorow but i need a copy of assisi by norman maccaig if any one has a copy can thay get back to me asap x thanx xashx

#33 Discogirl17

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:14 PM

O lord god. Tried http://www.jacobite.org.uk/maccaig/xpoems/assisi.html.
Half ideas,half quality, half a million pound law suit!

#34 Yan

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:I'm not a very interesting person I must say...<br /><br />Interests... interests... are...<br /><br />Anime, Music, Manga, Coffee, Sleep, Food [haha], and uhm Vampires.<br /><br />I'm not actually crazy, although others will obviously beg to differ.

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

Junk by Melvin Burgess is really good.

I did my personal study on "The Moth Diaries" by Rachel Klein, a lot of people in my class did 1984, and we were advised not to do books that had become a film as we would probably draw information from the film like Memoirs of a Geisha. I'm doing Gatsby for my critical essays eek.

"Do not be frightened of death; it is life that causes pain"

#35 ScoobyDoo

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

I did "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult for my personal study. Its about a young girl whose sister has leukaemia. The girl sues her parents for the rights to her own body after deciding she doesnt want to give her sister her kidney. Quite controversal topic, MAJOR twist at the end! Had me in tears!!
Brooke: Lucas is the one for me.
Chris: Actually, my name is Chris.

Brooke: Look, whatever you heard, you heard WRONG!
Chris: So you're NOT into me?!
Brooke: NO!

Chris (singing to Brooke): Lucas and Haley aren't back yet, but you can come into the devil's lair, drop your things, have sex with Chris Keller, WHATEVER!

ONE TREE HILL IS <3

#36 danielsimpson678

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

Has anyone done 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks before? I'm almost through it and i'm really enjoying it; it's beautifully written and in some parts it really could make you cry.

However, i've read The Catcher In The Rye and i though it was ok. I did a talk on it and the librarian, who despised that book, said i 'converted' her into liking that book…

Hmm, i don't know.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#37 Chas

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:MSN,Music,TV

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:05 PM

I did To Kill A Mockingbird last year and passed first time. Racism is a good issue again with this book.

#38 Allan_r_123

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:31 PM

I did "The Cone Gatherers" by Robin Jenkins. I found it an extremely interesting book within itself with a really rellevant and enticing plot etc.
It worked great for my personal study and I passed first time!

Definitley would recommend it.

#39 x_Jo_x

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:19 PM

I did my personal study on Echo Burning by Lee Child - i absolutely love his books...they're just such a great read in my opinion smile.gif

#40 maximus

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:02 PM

i'd recommend All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque. One of the best books i've ever read, so much moral, social, political and even philosophical issues you can write about smile.gif My teacher told me that it you could easily write a thesis on it at university, and its not much of a burden taking notes either because its really interesting smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users