Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
AH music - how much work is involved? - HSN forum

AH music - how much work is involved?

10 replies to this topic

#1 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:10 PM

I've got a very full schedule this year but I don't particularly want to drop any of my subjects. However, if I had to drop one it would be music that I dropped, so I need to decide if it's worthwhile commiting myself to this subject. Right now I have six free periods a week most of which are being taken up by a self-taught subject and extra work for three other subjects (two of which are physics and chemistry, and the projects for these will probably eat up alot of these free periods.) Now this leaves me with next to no time to do anything for music, although I won't need to do any work on the performing I will need to put in a fair bit of work for the listening (I was finding myself at a high B/low A for listening at higher).

So really I want to know how much work I'm going to have to do for this subject, will I get away with 3-4 hours a week? And will I find this subject stressful (because my year is looking like it could be very stressful)?
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:27 PM

for advanced higher there is no new content to learn for the listening paper but the questions dont involve as many multiple choice.

Inventing can be done by just editting your higher things so that shouldnt take you very long. What optional unit would you be taking, performing i guess?

Only thing that will take time is the essay that you have to do. ITs like a critical essay on 2 pieces of music or 2 composers.

I think its an easy advanced higher if you are good at music but it should be noted that i didnt actually sit it though 6 of my friends did and i was in there class sitting higher on my own due to timetabling issues so i know a bit about it

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for replying.

My extension would probably be accompanying, or performing, whatever I'm finding easiest to be honest. I've heard about this essay but I don't think that it would be too much of an issue because it would only be for a couple of weeks that I had to worry about that (albeit a very busy couple of weeks laugh.gif). I'm more worried about how many hours per week I would need to put in to get myself an A in the listening, for me this will definately be the most difficult part of the course.

#4 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

The questions they set you in the listening use the same concepts as in Higher its just that they are a lot harder. We tried a few last year when I did Higher, not that big a jump in real terms but still a bit scary at first. The essay thing isnt that bad, I have to do one for the diploma i am doing just now, and its not really too difficult, if you can pick two pieces and understand most of what happens in the scores then you will be fine for that. And performing comes highly recommended as an extension, its the easiest one to do, you have to prepare about half an hours worth of stuff. But over the course of a year that should be Ok.

#5 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Jun 8 2006, 05:10 PM) View Post
I've got a very full schedule this year but I don't particularly want to drop any of my subjects. However, if I had to drop one it would be music that I dropped, so I need to decide if it's worthwhile commiting myself to this subject. Right now I have six free periods a week most of which are being taken up by a self-taught subject and extra work for three other subjects (two of which are physics and chemistry, and the projects for these will probably eat up alot of these free periods.) Now this leaves me with next to no time to do anything for music, although I won't need to do any work on the performing I will need to put in a fair bit of work for the listening (I was finding myself at a high B/low A for listening at higher).

So really I want to know how much work I'm going to have to do for this subject, will I get away with 3-4 hours a week? And will I find this subject stressful (because my year is looking like it could be very stressful)?

Well, you're going to need excellent discipline (which you obviously have), as well as good time management skills. If you're going to take music, it should be for your own enjoyment/sense of achievement, because I can't see why you would need it for a place at University. If you think that taking music might affect the grades you achieve in other more important subjects (relevant to the course you want study), then you shouldn't take it. But then again, you can always drop it if it is too much.

Either way, with 4/5 AH's, UCAS, and the extras that come with applying to Cambridge, you're going to have a very busy year ahead of you! biggrin.gif

#6 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

Okay, thanks guys. I guess that I'm not really going to get a good idea of what music listening is going to be like until I actually try a paper, but from the sounds of things it could present a problem. Anyway, I'll give it a try.

QUOTE(Joel @ Jun 8 2006, 06:26 PM) View Post
Well, you're going to need excellent discipline (which you obviously have), as well as good time management skills. If you're going to take music, it should be for your own enjoyment/sense of achievement, because I can't see why you would need it for a place at University. If you think that taking music might affect the grades you achieve in other more important subjects (relevant to the course you want study), then you shouldn't take it. But then again, you can always drop it if it is too much.

Either way, with 4/5 AH's, UCAS, and the extras that come with applying to Cambridge, you're going to have a very busy year ahead of you! biggrin.gif
Yeah you're right, I don't really need it, but I do really enjoy music so I would like to do it. I'll bear in mind what you said about the effect you it could have on my other grades, although I don't think I will really be able to judge this until we are working properly in all the subjects. It certainly will be a busy year, but looks like it will be fun aswell smile.gif

#7 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

honestly i dont think it will cause you a problem listening is a small part of your entire grade as it is. 50% will be performing which you say is easy for you

#8 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ Jun 8 2006, 07:16 PM) View Post
Okay, thanks guys. I guess that I'm not really going to get a good idea of what music listening is going to be like until I actually try a paper, but from the sounds of things it could present a problem. Anyway, I'll give it a try.
Yes, you might as well try it and see what you think. Most people find listening the most difficult element of music and don't seem to get much more than about 70% (me included), that seems to be perfectly normal. Personally, I think music listening is something you can't really improve that much, it's seems to be more of a 'natural' skill. Don't worry though, if your other elements are good enough then you will still manage to get an A. I'm about as good at listening as you are, but I'm still confident of an A for higher.

Yeah you're right, I don't really needit, but I do really enjoy music so I would like to do it.
You don't need a grade on a certificate to justify your enjoyment of something. You obviously enjoy playing your guitar, but you can do that in your own time. Certainly study music at school if you're good at it and enjoy all of the elements involved, there's no point turning down a potentially good grade.

#9 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(Dave)
honestly i dont think it will cause you a problem listening is a small part of your entire grade as it is. 50% will be performing which you say is easy for you
Yeah I suppose. I wouldn't say that it was easy (that would just be me trying to be arrogant and failing!) but I would say that I'm not worried about it.

QUOTE(Joel @ Jun 8 2006, 09:25 PM) View Post

Yes, you might as well try it and see what you think. Most people find listening the most difficult element of music and don't seem to get much more than about 70% (me included), that seems to be perfectly normal. Personally, I think music listening is something you can't really improve that much, it's seems to be more of a 'natural' skill. Don't worry though, if your other elements are good enough then you will still manage to get an A. I'm about as good at listening as you are, but I'm still confident of an A for higher.

Yeah you're right, I don't really needit, but I do really enjoy music so I would like to do it.
You don't need a grade on a certificate to justify your enjoyment of something. You obviously enjoy playing your guitar, but you can do that in your own time. Certainly study music at school if you're good at it and enjoy all of the elements involved, there's no point turning down a potentially good grade.
Ahh thanks, made me feel alot better with that post. I agree with the points you made, I'll definately give this a go now smile.gif

#10 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

there is a subtle difference between arrogence and just fact though. I mean there is very little new content, if any really its just more is expected of you. I dont know of any other AH where that is the case.

Edit: Perhaps art i guess

#11 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 8 2006, 11:24 PM) View Post

there is a subtle difference between arrogence and just fact though. I mean there is very little new content, if any really its just more is expected of you. I dont know of any other AH where that is the case.

Edit: Perhaps art i guess

Nope. You do have to improve in art.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users