Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
AH Geography statistics - HSN forum

AH Geography statistics

10 replies to this topic

#1 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

Just wondering if anyone could list all the statistics that you need for AH geography - as we are self teaching and this would probably be useful

cheers for any help.

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:19 PM

It'd help if you posted this in the AH Geog forum, and didn't post it four times...blink.gif

#3 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:16 PM

Aye sorry about that! me and my pal are self teaching so we decided to post this on here. we had thought that we were in the AH Geog part but actually weren't when we posted first time round! so when we checked the AH Geography bit our post obviously wasn't there. So we pressed the back button and repeated this 4 times before giving up! Ony afterwards i'd realised what we'd done!

#4 ninja-lewis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:35 PM

Off the top of my head:

Spearman's Rank Correlation Coefficent
Pearson's Product Moment Correlation
Chi-Square Test
Nearest Neighbour Index
Gravity Model

These are only the ones I can remember coming across in class and I think there are a few more that are talked about (didn't need to learn them for the exam though).

Best advice I can give you is to get your hands on this: Methods of Statistical Analysis of Fieldwork Data (also consider getting Methods of Presenting Fieldwork Data ). I found these to be invaluable sources of information and help for completing the Geographical Study and the course in general.

#5 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

I've got a list of all the stats and fieldwork that might come up, at home - I'll post it up later if thats any help.
Oh weep for Adonais—he is dead!
Wake, melancholy Mother, wake and weep!
Yet wherefore? Quench within their burning bed
Thy fiery tears, and let thy loud heart keep,
Like his, a mute and uncomplaining sleep;

#6 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

Sorry I've taken so long to do this - been busy! Anyway this is the list we have:

Fieldwork methods and techniques:
PHYSICAL METHODS AND TECHNIQUES
Morphological mapping
vegetation sampling
slope analysis
stream analysis
soil profiles and characteristics
pebble analysis

HUMAN METHODS AND TECHNIQUES
Rural land use mapping
Urban land use mapping
Traffic, pedestrian and environmental quality surveys
Questionnaire design and implementation
Use of secondary sources
Reilly's Gravity Law
Nearest neighbour analysis

STATISTICAL TECHNIQUES
Sampling
Handlilng different data types

GRAPHICAL PRESENTATION OF DATA
systems diagrams
logarithmic diagrams
kite and scattergraphs
triangular graphs
dispersion diagrams
bipolar analysis
polar graphs

DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS
Standard Deviation
Standard error of the mean
Variance

INTRODUCTORY STATISTICAL TESTING
Nearest Neighbour
Chi-square
Linear Regression
Spearman's Rank Correlation Coefficient
Pearson's product moment correlation coefficient

PRODUCTION OF MAPS AND DIAGRAMS
Dot maps
chloropleth maps
proportional symbols
divided proportional symbols
Isoline maps
flow maps

Hope that helps!

#7 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

wow! this really is amazing! biggrin.gif Thanks so much for spending time writing that up! it's a great help! laugh.gif

#8 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:03 PM

No worries! Good luck with the course!

#9 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:10 AM

aw thanks! and good luck with all you're doing as well! smile.gif

#10 Yurimaru

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:56 AM

Thank you!

#11 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

Some general points about statistical significance:

- Statistical significance does not help to interpret the nature or help to explain the relationship.
- It does denote the degree of confidence you may hold that relationship between variables described in your results is systematic in the larger population and not attributable to random error.
- It does not ensure that the relationship is theoretically or practically important or indicate the strength of the relationship.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users