Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Crashing Higher Computing? - HSN forum - Page 3

Crashing Higher Computing?

67 replies to this topic

#41 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 9 2006, 06:46 PM) View Post

university isnt about learning languages as this is something that is trained into people. University is about education and giving up the tools to go to any work place and use any tools they currently use. So, in computer science its quite a broad course with a firm footing in software engineering. We do classes in logic and low level stuff. The differences between CS, software engineering, internet computing and any other BSci in this field is quite minimal.

A course which may be of interest to you is Computer and electronic systems which is available in a 4 year BSci and a 5 year MEng. This course includes core comp sci, electronics, physics and maths. This is a very demanding course and you will be very busy. However, i have a friend in it at strathclyde and he likes it a lot, apart from his timetables of course

The emphasis of my course has gone away almost completely from programming in any set programming language and is examining data structures which are applicable to any language and sorting algorithms and other kinds of algorithms. There is a lot of stuff on asymptotic analysis to compare different algorithms to one another in a convient mathematical notation. Also some theoretical computer science focusing on finite automata, context free grammars and formal ideas about languages.

I agree with you about the purpose of computer science at university. A lot of people have the completely wrong idea of what it would entail, hence the high number of people who changed to studying with other schools for 2nd year. I am in a class of 30 people now, the rest who signed up for computer science at st andrews changed because they were surprised by how different it was and how difficult as well tongue.gif

#42 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Graphics, vBulletin, PHP, Hacking, Web scripts, Maths, and more...

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

Oh well, we'll see how the things will go on smile.gif I have to crash my higher computing, and than maybe Adv Higher. Thank you for replying, because I was actually one of big number of people, who think that Computing at Uni is easy and straight forward :] Anyway, I think I can manage to work hard and get the most from the course. wink.gif
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
---------------------------------------------
Going to Uni next year!

#43 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:22 AM

Nothing at Uni is easy lol

Ok that's a lie...

#44 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Graphics, vBulletin, PHP, Hacking, Web scripts, Maths, and more...

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:39 AM

hehehe... I'm sure that something is easy ;] If you didn't find anything yet, wait for me and I'll find something biggrin.gif hehe
Going to Uni next year!

#45 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

Well i've found everything easy so far lol

#46 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE(d2vid @ Nov 2 2006, 11:10 AM) View Post

Oh well, we'll see how the things will go on smile.gif I have to crash my higher computing, and than maybe Adv Higher. Thank you for replying, because I was actually one of big number of people, who think that Computing at Uni is easy and straight forward :] Anyway, I think I can manage to work hard and get the most from the course. wink.gif

I want names and addresses of these people blink.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#47 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 11:34 AM

I'll get them soon wink.gif hehehe
Going to Uni next year!

#48 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

Yeah seriously, computing in second year uni is brick! Its at the stage where i hate the course and want to change its that bad...

#49 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

What do you do on that course? smile.gif ;]
Going to Uni next year!

#50 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:00 PM

We studied data structures and algorithms (basically every one you can get just about and had to implement some of them as the practicals) and finite state automaton and context free grammars and methods of parsing and lexical analysis etc. Also a lot about complexity analysis of algorithms. Was quite a demanding course mainly in the volume of coursework, none of the material was hard to understand, but some of it was pretty complex to program.

#51 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

My coursework is coming up next week... and I wonder if it's illegal for people to discuss about it outside the class because if it's not... I need A LOT of help in the programming part...

It's been months since I've done any programming.. I can't remember one single thing and the teacher expects us to do it next week! Yeh right... lol...

I think I need to leave out the programming part till the end...

#52 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

Nope, you are free to discuss it all you wish, as long as the work you hand in is your own.

#53 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

Plagiarism is the main issue, people can point you in the right direction, what we do is simply include an acknowledgement in the report at uni where we work on something with other people, or at least make the teacher know. For example:

"the code for the findMatchingEvents() method was done in collaboration with Joe Bloggs" or whatever usually does for us.

If you have any specific problems, post the problem on here and one of the undergraduate computer science people can point you in the right direction.

#54 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

you shouldnt really need people to tell you the coding for something. Algorithms and techniques maybe but trust me the coursework is easy

#55 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 20 2007, 11:09 PM) View Post
you shouldnt really need people to tell you the coding for something. Algorithms and techniques maybe but trust me the coursework is easy

Thats what i was meaning, more for advice on how to approach the problem, you dont learn anything if you are just given the code on a plate. Dont really remember if there was that much stuff about algorithms in Higher Computing, vaguely remember there were some really simple ones you had to memorise but I dont think they went any further than that really?

#56 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 12:04 AM

the most complicated thing he will have to implement is parameter passing.

Other than that just basic algorithms such as maxima minima stuff.

#57 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:24 AM

Guys..do you know how to loop this so that the value of guest(10) is actually 0-10 and not just the elements of 10?

Do While valid <> guest(10)
valid = InputBox("reenter")
Loop

Btw, can anyone tell me how the heck do you actually use subprograms and parameter passing because I am really lost now...

#58 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

What exactly are you trying to achieve? As I'm not 100% sure what you are asking. (I might just be having a thick moment lol)

#59 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE(verticalforce @ Jan 22 2007, 12:24 AM) View Post
Guys..do you know how to loop this so that the value of guest(10) is actually 0-10 and not just the elements of 10?

Do While valid <> guest(10)
valid = InputBox("reenter")
Loop

Btw, can anyone tell me how the heck do you actually use subprograms and parameter passing because I am really lost now...

i think you want to loop through all the elements in the array

fthis is a simply a for loop

for x = 1 to 10
textBox1.text = guest(x)
next

That above is an example see how you get on

#60 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

Will this work then? Just got back from school and haven't got a chance to test this:

valid = Inputbox("Ur name?")

For guest() = 0 to 9
Do while valid <> guest()
valid = Inputbox("reenter ur name")
Loop
Next

I think this is wrong so hopefully someone can help me with this.

I am trying to loop all of the elements of the array and make sure that the question is repeated if the user input does not match the array.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users