Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Crashing Higher Computing? - HSN forum - Page 2

Crashing Higher Computing?

67 replies to this topic

#21 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:13 PM

from base 2 to base 10 is like i said above it isnt anything like the inverse of twos complement

if we have the number

this is 1*2^0 + 0*2^1 + 1*2^2 + 1*2^3 which = 1+4+8 = 13

read my original post as to how i get the 1*2^0 things

0.234 is a floating point number therefore we use floating point representation

the mantissa is 234
the exponent is 3

2342*e3

to turn this to binery we simply turn both numbers to base 2. At higher this is all that is expected of you even though you will no doubt be thinking it cant be like that in the actual real world(and you would be correct)

to go the otherway you simply work backwards

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#22 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:22 PM

Isn't the exmponent supposed to be ^-3?

And hmmm... the exponent, is it in signed form, which means in binary.. -3 is actually 101?

Also, my book shows mantissa in the from of 0.xxx to the exponent of x, are you allowed to do xxx mantissa?

Got any tips on how to convert decimal numbers to binary fast? I'm slow at arithmetic though i'm not too shabby at math. (I can't count 8+6 in my head and i still pass my math SG prelim getting a 1, lol)

I am SO getting the new brain training game for my DS.. lol... calculator has spoiled me.....

#23 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:46 PM

yes it should be -3 sorry, least that means you are getting the idea of what is going on

och i have made a mess of my definition of floating point. The book is correct the mantissa must be in the form 0.xxxxxx

been working 9-5 today gardening and my head isnt quite with me, too much paint sniffing i think lol

#24 verticalforce

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

Thnaks a lot. I'd be sure to drop by later if i encounter a new problem. (which won't be long!)

Hmmm... computing is great.. lots of resources available on the internet and forum. Can't say the same with accounting lol.

Till then, good night.

#25 star1

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:25 PM

i liked computing.
@ first u may find the programming hard but just ask for help and stick with the course. as the other sections eg computer systems and multimedia r good.
x smile.gif

#26 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Graphics, vBulletin, PHP, Hacking, Web scripts, Maths, and more...

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

but guys.. get real.. this 'programming' in school is just nothing in comparing with real-life programming :]
"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
---------------------------------------------
Going to Uni next year!

#27 star1

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(d2vid @ Oct 6 2006, 02:32 PM) View Post

but guys.. get real.. this 'programming' in school is just nothing in comparing with real-life programming :]

it maybe nothing like what real programmers use but was still confusing to learn. smile.gif
x

#28 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:44 PM

It doesnt matter if it's nothing incomparison to what a real programmer will do.

If someone doesn't have the thinking style of a programmer, or someone similar, then they wil most likely struggle to understand the concept of programming.

#29 star1

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(John @ Oct 6 2006, 05:44 PM) View Post

It if it's nothing incomparison to will do.

If someone doesn't have the thinking style of a programmer, or someone similar, then they wil most likely struggle to understand the concept of programming.

I passed my higher computing and found that units 2 and 3 were much easier.
I also know that it doenst matter what a real programmer does and doesn't as the programming software will not be like the one's used in schools.
Just saying that it was confusing to start with but hey i got an A for my programming part of the coursework.

#30 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(star1 @ Oct 6 2006, 07:31 PM) View Post

I also know that it doenst matter what a real programmer does and doesn't as the programming software will not be like the one's used in schools.
Just saying that it was confusing to start with but hey i got an A for my programming part of the coursework.

I found Unit 2 the most difficult, but thats becuase the theory is boring.

#31 star1

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE(John @ Oct 6 2006, 08:26 PM) View Post

yeh unit 2 computer systems is mostly theory. unit 3 multimedia was gd. got to use cameras , webcams and so on. :) x

#32 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE(star1 @ Oct 6 2006, 08:32 PM) View Post

QUOTE(John @ Oct 6 2006, 08:26 PM) View Post

yeh unit 2 computer systems is mostly theory. unit 3 multimedia was gd. got to use cameras , webcams and so on. smile.gif x

I did Networking lol

And unit 2 is mostly Practical, as the majority of it is programming.

#33 star1

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

i neva did networking....i did multimedia.

#34 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

I know you did Multimedia, you already said.

I was saying the software development unit is mostly practical.

#35 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Graphics, vBulletin, PHP, Hacking, Web scripts, Maths, and more...

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:03 PM

Computing is v. easy for me.. but I think that's because computing is my hobby and I already know all answers biggrin.gif heh.. I hope that University will be more demanding.
Going to Uni next year!

#36 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

University "Computing" will be difficult dependent on the university you goto and whether or not you did the Advanced Higher.

As I'm finding the Computer Science side of my degree easy, and the Mathematics side, slighlty not as easy, but thats becuase i did thatAdvanced Higher, and the Maths we have covered atm is Higher level.

#37 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:05 AM

what's going to be in the 'university' computing course? I've learned programming, hardware structure (for overclocking biggrin.gif) and quite a lot about computers just for my own confidence; thta's what i like to do and i'm going to do that. I am not 100% sure about the course. What can i choose from and what is each of them about?
Going to Uni next year!

#38 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:25 AM

It all depends on the University.

Although Glasgow University seems to be the Avanced Higher course for the first year and that's it all i can really say.

When it comes to programming, you can't just learn it, you would learn individual languages.

In most cases Universities will use Java in the early years, and maybe switch to C++ in later years, or keep doing Java.

#39 d2vid

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:39 AM

I didn't mean I've learned programming. I.ve just looked over HTML, PHP, C++ and some others. That does not mean I know everything about programming, of course. I'll see how I gonna pass hogher and then i'll consider what to do next.
Going to Uni next year!

#40 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

university isnt about learning languages as this is something that is trained into people. University is about education and giving up the tools to go to any work place and use any tools they currently use. So, in computer science its quite a broad course with a firm footing in software engineering. We do classes in logic and low level stuff. The differences between CS, software engineering, internet computing and any other BSci in this field is quite minimal.

A course which may be of interest to you is Computer and electronic systems which is available in a 4 year BSci and a 5 year MEng. This course includes core comp sci, electronics, physics and maths. This is a very demanding course and you will be very busy. However, i have a friend in it at strathclyde and he likes it a lot, apart from his timetables of course

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users