Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Crash Higher - HSN forum

Crash Higher

6 replies to this topic

#1 pinkmartini

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:25 PM

I'm crashing higher french this year which I know is going to be difficult but my teachers tell me will be fine. I've never studied French before but I'm currently doing AH Italian which I've been told will help with some parts. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for French, anything would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 jackbauer

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:58 PM

Hi,

I think that as you have some experience in languages (AH Italian) it shouldn't be as hard. IF you hadn't done this, I would have not recommended it.

I find Higher French fairly straightforward, and would suggest that if you're sure it's what you want to do, then make a start on it over summer. Ask the teacher/lecturer for a standard grade book such as Encore Tricolore 3 and gleam lots of grammar & vocab. from this. Also ask if there are any handouts with vocab. that they might give you.

There aren't any Higher French textbooks as such. Leckie & Leckie's Higher French Course Notes are too simplistic in my opinion, although this might be ideal for you as an introduction to French.
Hodder Gibson are publishing How to Pass Higher French around September, but this keeps getting put back. I don't know if this book will be any good: I found their English & Biology ones great, but the other science ones were awful.

It might also be worth asking your teacher/lecturer for some Higher handouts in advance so you can get a head start on this over summer.

You'll have the usual NAB's to sit which I'm sure you're familiar with from Italian.
Also, there is a "reader" NAB where you have to write a short essay, in French, about a character or something from a French book under exam conditions (your teacher should be able to tell you more about this, it's not too difficult.

There is an essay in the final exam about you going over to France or a French person coming over here to stay with you.

Bonne chance!
(Good luck!) wink.gif

#3 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:24 PM

All the teachers at my school are dead against crashing any languages but thats just them, they prefer you to do int2, if you have never done that language before.

I struggled with French personally, even though i did standard grade but that is possibly because I got very distarcted in that class throught all three years (3rd-4th-5th).

If you are dedicated enough then you will have no problem with it and just stick in and do any extra work.

I would recommend downloading french podcasts or something like that so that you get used to hearing the language being spoken and this will help you for the listening part of the exam. It sure helped me, because my class was very unprepared for the listening (we only did 2 past paper listenings over the whole year)

As long as you have a good teacher to help you out and stick in with it Im sure you'll be fine...and if your still stuck, theres plenty of people on here who can help! cool.gif
Grrrrrr!!

#4 jackbauer

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(loved-up-loon @ Jun 8 2006, 10:24 PM) View Post

(we only did 2 past paper listenings over the whole year)

good grief!!! two listenings? ohmy.gif

my class didn't do many:8 max, but that was because those were the only ones the teacher could get her hands on!

#5 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(jackb @ Jun 8 2006, 10:29 PM) View Post

QUOTE(loved-up-loon @ Jun 8 2006, 10:24 PM) View Post

(we only did 2 past paper listenings over the whole year)

good grief!!! two listenings? ohmy.gif

my class didn't do much:8 max, but that was because those were the only ones the teacher could get her hands on!

Two past paper listenings, three at the most. We did other listenings which were nothing like the ones in the exam, way too fast and confusing so nobody could really answer any questions and just sat there like this : huh.gif unsure.gif blink.gif
Yeah...French was not my favourite subject last year...not by a long chalk!
Grrrrrr!!

#6 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 12 June 2006 - 09:56 PM

Right for French, all the grammar you do in Italian in way of tenses is the same. Things like past historic, perfect, future, conditional etc are all found in French and are as far as I know are conjugated in a similar fashion (eg perfect has an auxiliary and the past participle). The article system in French is very close to the italian one as well. In French over the summer, get a beginners book and work through that and get a basic level of vocab, then try SQA standard grade papers for credit level. Get yourself up to this standard over the summer vacation. Once you are at this standard you can use le monde and read news articles in french, work through these with a dictionary so you get the gist and try writing a mini summary of the article in french. In regards to listening, watch some french films with english subtitles (or italian if you are really keen). Only way to practise listening is by hearing the natives do it at normal speed, obviously you wont have the native language tutors i get at university but films is the closest you can get. For speaking get as much practice as you can, dont try and to do the school method where you just try and learn a presentation like a parrot and spout it off in your exam, if you want to be fluent you need to do it as much on the fly as possible (ie unscripted just speaking as naturally as you can in french as you would in English). I know this sounds a bit heavy for a crash higher but if you really want to do well, then this approach has served me well through first year uni, and it works well. (for me at least).

#7 pinkmartini

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

Thanks alot for all your help. I'm definately going to try your suggestions like getting books and watching more films, we do watch quite a few in school and having a teacher who is French is a big help. The advice you've all given ahs been very useful. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users