Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Maths - HSN forum - Page 2

Advanced Maths

30 replies to this topic

#21 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:15 PM

Note the sarcasm paul

#22 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 10:07 PM

Its noted

#23 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

tongue.gif

#24 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 08 June 2006 - 03:57 PM

We started off doing binomial theorem today, just trying to derive an equation for it and stuff. Also we done some differentiation from first principles with the other teacher because not many people in my class understood it last year. So far it seems easy, but I'm sure this will change soon enough.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#25 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

see to be honest i found that the whole course was ok going from day to day. Each individual concept is simple enough to understand if the notes and teachers you get are good. Problems start to arise though if you get a homework exercise on all material done up to that point because there is a fantastic amount of material involved

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#26 Changer

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:38 PM

Or when you have to look at questions on your own and out of context (not in a particular section of the book) and try and see exactly what techniques it's actually testing you on.

#27 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

I'm on bionomial at the moment. It's possible but I have spent the first half of each lesson a bit blink.gif . Today it was mainly because I was away yesterday so our teacher just went through finding the coefficient using an example. None of us had a clue what factorials or the exclamation marks were while she did that because she'd forgotten to tell us. Which really helped.

#28 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:31 AM

Yeah we're on binonimals aswell (and i dotn think I spelt that right but oh well...) Isnt too bad at the moment I suppose. I just hate the people in class who sit there and go "ohh I cant do this..." "Oh this is too hard" etc etc which makes me think.."Why the hell did you take advanced maths then if you are just going to complain about how hard it is all year" and then ten minutes later you find out a few of the people who say they couldnt do it before are about five questions ahead of you, but still sitting there saying they cant do it! It reaaaaaaalllllyy gets on my nerves! but ok rant over now! tongue.gif
Grrrrrr!!

#29 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(loved-up-loon @ Jun 10 2006, 11:31 AM) View Post

Yeah we're on binonimals aswell (and i dotn think I spelt that right but oh well...) Isnt too bad at the moment I suppose. I just hate the people in class who sit there and go "ohh I cant do this..." "Oh this is too hard" etc etc which makes me think.."Why the hell did you take advanced maths then if you are just going to complain about how hard it is all year" and then ten minutes later you find out a few of the people who say they couldnt do it before are about five questions ahead of you, but still sitting there saying they cant do it! It reaaaaaaalllllyy gets on my nerves! but ok rant over now! tongue.gif

Just wait, it gets better, if they cant do binomial which is just about the easiest thing in the course, then they are going to find the rest of it quite tough. The important thing when you get to maths at this level is to remember one of my lecturer who said : "Mathematics is not a spectator sport", ie practice lots, the more you do the easier it gets.

Also Dr Olsen advises: "my mother taught me two things in life, dont associate with loose women or ever divide by zero, the chalk will explode". tongue.gif he is a maths god, people take his classes in algebra and analysis just to have him as their lecturer biggrin.gif

#30 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(st-and Paul @ Jun 10 2006, 07:43 PM) View Post

Just wait, it gets better, if they cant do binomial which is just about the easiest thing in the course, then they are going to find the rest of it quite tough. The important thing when you get to maths at this level is to remember one of my lecturer who said : "Mathematics is not a spectator sport", ie practice lots, the more you do the easier it gets.

Thing is, they can do it, they just say they cant for the attention they get. It really bugs me though, feel like turning round and telling them to shut it in some very colourful language but I refrain myself...wonder howlong that will last unsure.gif
Grrrrrr!!

#31 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

if they are as thick as you say they are then they wont last too long in Advanced Higher, so just grin and bear it, if they are still there come Unit 2 i will be surprised.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users