Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Advanced Maths - HSN forum

Advanced Maths

30 replies to this topic

#1 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:03 PM

So advanced maths is definatly my hardest subject now!
Alot more work than higher!
Weve currently done the product rule and the quotient rule!
Anyone needing any help ill try and do my best smile.gif

#2 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:15 PM

We're going to be doing 2 outcomes at the same time, so it's quite confusing because it's like one day with one teacher, one with the other...ah well...i'm sure it'll all turn out fine in the end rolleyes.gif

and will, is that the product/quotient rule in matrices?

#3 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Jun 6 2006, 08:15 PM) View Post

We're going to be doing 2 outcomes at the same time, so it's quite confusing because it's like one day with one teacher, one with the other...ah well...i'm sure it'll all turn out fine in the end rolleyes.gif

and will, is that the product/quotient rule in matrices?

nope, differentiation.
And we're doing 3 differnt units with 3 different teachers!
Very confusing lol dry.gif

#4 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:42 PM

ah right...we've got 2 teachers.

at the moment, one's starting with outcome 1 and the other is starting with outcome 5....they're planning on meeting in the middle, and the first one to finish their 2 outcomes gets to do the 3rd...hardly much of a prize, is it? huh.gif

#5 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

When we started advanced higher, 2 years ago now ( AHH ) we did binomial first which I found pretty easy.

#6 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Justboy @ Jun 6 2006, 08:49 PM) View Post

When we started advanced higher, 2 years ago now ( AHH ) we did binomial first which I found pretty easy.

I'm finding binomial stuff quite easy...the way the questions are confusing me more than anything else tongue.gif

#7 south lanarkshire jag

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:30 PM

its a good course

if i could do it again i would but id put in a lot more effort

learn everything as you do it

#8 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:32 PM

Yeah, if you learn it instead of just copying it down, it helps more. smile.gif I'm doing maths at uni, and the first half of first year should be similar to AH, but slightly more in depth. I could put some in depth explanations up when I get the notes if anyone is interested...hell, if it gives me an excuse to fiddle with TeXaide again, I'm ectastic tongue.gif

#9 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:45 PM

what i found useful when i was sitting in the class was during study periods we all sat round the same table and worked through the work or whatever together as a team. Its not the same as copying btw its teamwork

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#10 Justboy

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Anime, gaming, dvds, computers.

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

I preferred advanced higher to first year maths at uni, mainly 'cause uni is a mess tongue.gif In school, you get taught things properly. Even with tutorials it's only an hour a week, with probably more people than you've got in your AH class right now.

Even though I say that, I still prefer uni in general, lol.

#11 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

Its interesting that advanced maths is about as far as i want to take my maths. When doing maths this year at university i really wasnt liking it at all. I cant put my finger on what it was but if i had done maths instead of comp sci i think i would be transfering to something else at the moment.

(its a bit of a ramble i know)

#12 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:15 PM

Each to their own, I guess. I'm very interested in taking my mathematical knowledge way beyond the scope of AH level...

#13 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

yeah i think it might have been just that. University or at least the one lecturer we had at the end was wanting to show us all these proofs of where all these equations and ideas came from. If you like maths then its interesting but i found all i wanted to do just pass the exam regradless of how much i actually understood.

whereas comp sci i want to know everything and understand everything in great detail. i think if anyone is unsure of where they want to go next they should use the test i jsut outlined there it works for me at least

#14 Changer

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 6 2006, 11:20 PM) View Post

yeah i think it might have been just that. University or at least the one lecturer we had at the end was wanting to show us all these proofs of where all these equations and ideas came from. If you like maths then its interesting but i found all i wanted to do just pass the exam regradless of how much i actually understood.

Maybe it's because I'm a physicist or it's just my way, but I found it really hard in AH Maths to remember some aspects of the course if I couldn't remember them. Like solving those 2nd Order differential equations (You'll get to those...they're fun wink.gif.

#15 punto

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Football n girls

Posted 07 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

2nd order differnetial (non hemodunous) equations are well gd, all yi nd to do is remember the particular integral and then complementary function, stick them together and woosh you have 10 marks in the bag, adv maths is rly good fun, best course ever

#16 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:14 PM

Don't you mean non homogenous? tongue.gif

#17 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:42 PM

I found first semester of Uni maths a complete bore, because it was an intro course which repeated a lot of higher and had a few bit of advanced highers thrown. But this semester I really found it quite interesting and some of the stuff was quite hard (like Cramers rule for solving systems of equations) and the 10 minutes we spent on Eulers rule, but the lecturers I had last semester were absolutely fantastic and really were passionate about the subject and made you interested. I think it depends on who you get teaching you the maths to be honest and what your tutor is like for tutorials. We get projects in maple as well which are related to the course, and are quite practical in nature so it makes the course content a lot more interesting. I changed my degree to include maths because of last semester (and the exam grade i got biggrin.gif).

2nd order differential equations are quite easy really, theres a lot to them but theres nothing outstandingly difficult about them. Its more fun when you get to partial differential equations.

#18 Changer

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(punto @ Jun 7 2006, 12:48 PM) View Post

2nd order differnetial (non hemodunous) equations are well gd, all yi nd to do is remember the particular integral and then complementary function, stick them together and woosh you have 10 marks in the bag, adv maths is rly good fun, best course ever

Yeah they're easy to do (if you know what you're doing) but I never understood WHY you were doing what you were doing. You changed the left hand side to a form that was to work with and so because of that you had to alter the right hand side but why did you have to ADD this newly worked out side onto the left hand side. Whatever. It was just an example about how I personally had to see a proof to fully understand something

#19 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:08 PM

They give you these proofs in university if you continue with mathematics. The reason why they work is because of the property of linearity. The alternative name for this type of equation is 2nd order linear differential equation with constant coefficients. A differential equation is linear if it satisfies the following:

Suppose L(x)=f(x) is a representation of y(x), which is a differential equation, then it is linear if:

L(y1(x) + y2(x)) = (strictly equal to) L(y1(x)) + L(y2(x)).

A second order equation has the form a(x)y'' +b(x)y' +c(x)y=f(x).

The consequence of this is that if y1 and y2 are solutions of a linear differential equation then so is Ay1 +By2 where A and B are constants. We use this property to combine particular solutions into a general solution.

#20 Pringles

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 07:11 PM

2nd order differential equations are quite easy really, theres a lot to them but theres nothing outstandingly difficult about them. Its more fun when you get to partial differential equations.

I wouldnt quite say anything you do in maths is fun, but it can be interesting at some points.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users