Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Program for writing latex - HSN forum

Program for writing latex

41 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

Does anybody know of any programmes for writing latex (and are also free tongue.gif )

Thanks in advance,

Nathan smile.gif

#2 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ Jun 2 2006, 06:41 PM) View Post
Does anybody know of any programmes for writing latex (and are also free tongue.gif )

Thanks in advance,

Nathan smile.gif

Just learn LaTeX...it's not a difficult language to learn....

\begin{align*}s=ut+\frac {1}{2}at^2\end{align*}

is rendered with the code:

CODE
[display]s=ut+\frac {1}{2}at^2[/display]

And there are plenty of tutorials out there, and a good enough explanation in the Maths thread here! smile.gif

#3 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 05:56 PM

cheers

#4 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:57 AM

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/texaide/
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#5 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:51 AM

Just testing that Ive used that program properly. Obviously not.

[display]s = ut + 1/2at^2[\display]

#6 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:59 AM

Meh, I prefer to actualy code it myself, less confusing and time consuming.

\begin{align*}\sigma _x^2  = \frac{1}{n}\left\{ {\sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {X_i^2  - n\overline X ^2 } } \right\}\end{align*}

CODE

[display]\sigma _x^2  = \frac{1}{n}\left\{ {\sum\limits_{i = 1}^n {X_i^2  - n\overline X ^2 } } \right\}[/display]

Statistical variance formula, just using that as a test to see if this program is any good.

(rendered with the program for testing)

Edit: It works! Just get rid of the gibberish, and you only need to use the bottom line in that equation, where you can actually see the equation itself, enclose it between the [tex] or [display] tabs, and of course, get rid of all gibberish before and after those square brackets, and the square brackets themselves, it should come out fine.]

#7 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:14 AM

Most of the time, I do just type latex from memory (for thing like factions and powers, it's really easy).

However, if I'm doing something with lots of lines, trig functions, fractions within fractions, and so on, I'll tend to use texaide.

QUOTE(Dhesi @ Jun 3 2006, 10:51 AM) View Post

Just testing that Ive used that program properly. Obviously not.

% MathType!MTEF!2!1!+-
% feqaeaartrvr0aaatCvAUfeBSjuyZL2yd9gzLbvyNv2CaerbuLwBLn
% hiov2DGi1BTfMBaeXatLxBI9gBaebbnrfifHhDYfgasaacH8srps0l
% bbf9q8WrFfeuY-Hhbbf9v8qqaqFr0xc9pk0xbba9q8WqFfea0-yr0R
% Yxir-Jbba9q8aq0-yq-He9q8qqQ8frFve9Fve9Ff0dmeaabaqaciGa
% caGaaeqabaaaamaaaOqaaiaadohacqGH9aqpcaWG1bGaamiDaiabgU
% caRiaaigdacaGGVaGaaGOmaiaadggacaWG0bGaaiOxaiaaikdaaaa!3C1E!
\[s = ut + 1/2at\^2\]

The lines with % are just comments (basically if you copy it and paste it into texaide/mathtype again, you can edit it.

To get it to work properly: delete the comment; replace the \[ with [tex] or [display], and the \] with the matching closing tag.

s = ut + 1/2at\^2

That looks a little bit wonky - are you sure it looked ok in texaide?

#8 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 02:09 PM

I think he just simply typed s=ut+1/2at^2 and assumed it'd come out the way I produced it earlier.

Anyway this program is great for complicated expressions! I'll be using this program more! biggrin.gif

#9 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

\left( {x + y} \right)^n  = \sum\limits_{r = 0}^n {\left( \matrix{
  n \hfill \cr 
  r \hfill \cr}  \right)} x^{n - r}  \cdot y^r 
$$
% MathType!End!2!1!
did it work?

edit: huh.gif n and r should be like

n
r

and not nr...any ideas on how to fix this?

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

\begin{align*}
\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
   n  \\
   r  \\
\end{array}} \right)
\end{align*}

CODE

% MathType!MTEF!2!1!+-
% feqaeaartrvr0aaatCvAUfeBSjuyZL2yd9gzLbvyNv2CaerbuLwBLn
% hiov2DGi1BTfMBaeXatLxBI9gBaebbnrfifHhDYfgasaacH8srps0l
% bbf9q8WrFfeuY-Hhbbf9v8qqaqFr0xc9pk0xbba9q8WqFfea0-yr0R
% Yxir-Jbba9q8aq0-yq-He9q8qqQ8frFve9Fve9Ff0dmeaabaqaciGa
% caGaaeqabaaaamaaaOqaamaabmaabaqbaeqabiqaaaqaaiaad6gaae
% aacaWGYbaaaaGaayjkaiaawMcaaaaa!3524!
\[
   n  \\
   r  \\
\end{array}} \right)
\]

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#11 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:02 PM

\[
   n  \\
   r  \\
\end{array}} \right)
\]

ah...thanks wink.gif

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:08 PM

its just using the matrix functions in the program

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

its just using the matrix functions in the program

ohmy.gif i see....i was using brackets instead wink.gif

#14 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

Latex also has a built in command for "n choose r", as shown below:

\begin{align*}{n \choose r} = \frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}\end{align*}

CODE
[display]{n \choose r} = \frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}[/display]

#15 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:45 AM

Hmm, cool, didn't know that.

#16 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:26 PM

Well, I started teaching myself latex a couple of days ago. I've made a few things that might be useful for higher maths, if anyone wants to use them as templates then please go ahead.

Synthetic Division:
\begin{tabular}{rc|ccccl}
\footnotesize{(x - 2)} = 0 & 2 & 3 & 2 & 1 & 4 \\ 
\footnotesize{x = 2} & & \downarrow & 6 & 16 & 34 \\ 
\cline{3-6}
\multicolumn{2}{c}{} & 3 & 8 & 17 & 38 & \!\footnotesize{r = 38 so (x - 2) is not a factor.} \\ 
\end{tabular}

CODE
[tex]\begin{tabular}{rc|ccccl}
\footnotesize{(x - 2)} = 0 & 2 & 3 & 2 & 1 & 4 \\
\footnotesize{x = 2} & & \downarrow & 6 & 16 & 34 \\
\cline{3-6}
\multicolumn{2}{c}{} & 3 & 8 & 17 & 38 & \!\footnotesize{r = 38 so (x - 2) is not a factor.} \\
\end{tabular}
[/tex]

Nature Table:
\begin{tabular}{c|ccccc}
\!x\! & \!\!\rightarrow & \!\!\!\!-1 & \!\!\!\!\rightarrow & \!\!\!\!6 & \!\!\!\!\!\rightarrow\!\! \\
\hline
\!x \!+ \!1\! & \!\!- & \!\!\!\!0 & \!\!\!\!+ & \!\!\!\!+ & \!\!\!\!\!+\!\! \\
\!x - 6\! & \!\!- & \!\!\!\!- & \!\!\!\!- & \!\!\!\!0 & \!\!\!\!\!+\!\! \\
\hline
\!f'(x)\! & \!\!+ & \!\!\!\!0 & \!\!\!\!- & \!\!\!\!0 & \!\!\!\!\!+\!\! \\
\hline
\!\footnotesize{shape}\! & \!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise2pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu} & \!\!\!\!\!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\, \mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\, \mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu} & \!\!\!\!\!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise2pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu} & \!\!\!\!\!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\, \mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\, \mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu} & \!\!\!\!\!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise2pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu}  
\end{tabular}

CODE
[tex]\begin{tabular}{c|ccccc}
\!x\! & \!\!\rightarrow & \!\!\!\!-1 & \!\!\!\!\rightarrow & \!\!\!\!6 & \!\!\!\!\!\rightarrow\!\! \\
\hline
\!x \!+ \!1\! & \!\!- & \!\!\!\!0 & \!\!\!\!+ & \!\!\!\!+ & \!\!\!\!\!+\!\! \\
\!x - 6\! & \!\!- & \!\!\!\!- & \!\!\!\!- & \!\!\!\!0 & \!\!\!\!\!+\!\! \\
\hline
\!f'(x)\! & \!\!+ & \!\!\!\!0 & \!\!\!\!- & \!\!\!\!0 & \!\!\!\!\!+\!\! \\
\hline
\!\footnotesize{shape}\! & \!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise2pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu} & \!\!\!\!\!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\, \mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\, \mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu} & \!\!\!\!\!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise2pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu} & \!\!\!\!\!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\, \mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\, \mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu} & \!\!\!\!\!\!\mathinner{\mkern2mu\raise-1pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise2pt\hbox{.}\mkern2mu\raise5pt\hbox{.}\mkern1mu}  
\end{tabular}
[/tex]

The nature table started to get complicated when I added the shape of the curve, and I couldn't manage to get f'(x) to appear properly (doesn't seem to work when it is put in a table). I'm also working on a CAST diagram, if anyone would find that useful then please let me know.

Edit: Okay, I've added code for both. I know the code for the nature table looks a mess, I'm still trying to find an easier and better way to do it. Obviously Latex wasn't designed for drawing nature tables... tongue.gif

#17 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:33 PM

Looks good!

#18 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(Ally @ Jun 4 2006, 08:33 PM) View Post
Looks good!
biggrin.gif Cheers.

#19 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:16 PM

Can you put the code for those under them, in between the [code] tags? It'd help if people wanted to copy and paste the code to edit for their own use. smile.gif

#20 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ Jun 4 2006, 10:16 PM) View Post
Can you put the code for those under them, in between the [code] tags? It'd help if people wanted to copy and paste the code to edit for their own use. smile.gif
Done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users