Chemistry 2006 exam

98 replies to this topic

Poll: How was it? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

how easy was it?

1. Very hard (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

2. Hard (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

3. OK (24 votes [54.55%])

Percentage of vote: 54.55%

4. Easy (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

5. Really easy (1 votes [2.27%])

What grade do you think you got?

1. A (18 votes [40.91%])

Percentage of vote: 40.91%

2. B (22 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. C (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

4. D (1 votes [2.27%])

5. Fail (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 jon2005

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE(AmAnDa @ May 30 2006, 08:43 PM) View Post

QUOTE(rscott @ May 30 2006, 06:19 PM) View Post

I got stuck on the question that asked for the mass of chlorine for like ten minutes, cause I kept getting an answer like 1400000000000kg. I think I got it eventually though lol.

Did anyone get 10% for the percentage yield question?

You dont no how glad I am to here you say that u got 10%, I got that too and was so sure it was wrong. Isn't it unusual for the answer to be as low as 10%?!?

hmm know for a fact I f**ked up that question... I did the calculation like doing Percentage Yield= Actual/Theoretical *100

just my value for Actual Yield was screwed....would I still get 1/2 for that question :S

#82 Gillz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:My name is Gillian and my main interests are: running, cycling, going to the gym, shopping (more of an addiction than an interest!), rock/indie music and going out with friends.<br /><br />I am currently in sixth year, studying AH Geography, H Maths and Crash H Business Management.<br /><br />I've applied for a mixture of Geography and Business at uni and have had some offers back, so looking forward immensely to starting uni next year wherever that may be! <br /><br />Standard Grade results:1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,3 for English, Geography, Admin, Physics, Chemistry, R.M.P.S, German, Art and Maths respectively.<br /><br />Fifth Year results: A,A,A,B,C for Int 2 Maths, H Physics, H Geography, H Chem and H English respectively.

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE(Tinkerbell @ May 30 2006, 08:40 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Dhesi @ May 30 2006, 08:32 PM) View Post

Im sure it was condensation polymerisation because for addition there had to be a double bond which wasnt possible

It looked like addition polymerisation to me... unsure.gif

Yip i thought it was addition as well !

#83 destiny determined otherwise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:54 PM

does anyone know where there are actual answers cause usually some teachers will have done the paper and put it on the web???

#84 David_07

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(Dhesi @ May 30 2006, 08:45 PM) View Post

aye it showed the polymer so the water woulda been removed whereas with addition a double bond would have to have been broken which was impossible.

It never showed the monomer though. It asked you to work out the monomer and if you had worked it out correctly, you would find that the monomer units had double bonds. Two double bonds were broken to form the polymer, so it was addition polymerisation.

#85 jon2005

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(destiny determined otherwise @ May 30 2006, 08:54 PM) View Post

does anyone know where there are actual answers cause usually some teachers will have done the paper and put it on the web???

I second that request tongue.gif

#86 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(jon2005 @ May 30 2006, 09:00 PM) View Post

I second that request tongue.gif

thirded...a copy of the paper would also be nice...any nice people wanna pm me rolleyes.gif smile.gif

#87 hmmm

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:24 PM

fourthed,anybody with a paper can you please pm me:D?

#88 **Bernadette**

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I am currently in sixth year and I am doing higher music and advanced highers in maths chemistry and biology.<br />In fourth year I got six 1s in english, chemistry, biology, music, administration and modern studies. I also got 2 As in the int 2s I sat in french and maths. Last year I got five A's!! Woohoo!! I also sit piano exams so I have passed up to grade 6 practical and grade 5 theory so far. I would like to go on and study medicine.<br /><br />I like playing the piano, playing drums, dancing(tap, ballet, modern, highland, disco...), watching golf, tennis(I am not very good at playing but I love Wimbledon) reading, doing crosswords and loadsa other stuff! I am also trying to teach myself guitar which is funny!! I love music and I am going to see the Fratellis in feb and Razorlight in April!! Can't wait!! Some of my other favourite bands are snow patrol, blur, bloc party, radiohead, the kooks, oasis and of course the Beatles!!!!

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(hmmm @ May 30 2006, 09:24 PM) View Post

fourthed,anybody with a paper can you please pm me:D?

And me!! biggrin.gif

BTW I got addition polymerisation too.

#89 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(David_07 @ May 30 2006, 08:58 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Dhesi @ May 30 2006, 08:45 PM) View Post

aye it showed the polymer so the water woulda been removed whereas with addition a double bond would have to have been broken which was impossible.

It never showed the monomer though. It asked you to work out the monomer and if you had worked it out correctly, you would find that the monomer units had double bonds. Two double bonds were broken to form the polymer, so it was addition polymerisation.

Yeah I know, you had to work out the monomer.

#90 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

I had addition too.
For the monomer I just copied the example above and swapped a hydrogen for a methyl group.

#91 mujb

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ May 30 2006, 09:59 PM) View Post

I had addition too.
For the monomer I just copied the example above and swapped a hydrogen for a methyl group.

me too. pretty sure thats right

#92 crazycat89

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

hey just wondering if anyone else noticed that there were a lot of past paper questions? or was it just me.. lol
overall, it was better than i imagined it to be...
smile.gif

#93 Mark

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE(crazycat89 @ May 30 2006, 10:53 PM) View Post

hey just wondering if anyone else noticed that there were a lot of past paper questions? or was it just me.. lol
overall, it was better than i imagined it to be...
smile.gif

Yeah but if you're anything like me you were probably imagining it to be pretty terrible to start with so anything better was a bonus. Definitely noticed a few past paper questions come up. doubt I'd have finished on time otherwise coz they basically took seconds to do.

#94 maria

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:39 PM

i cannot remember for the life of me what i put down for Multi-choice! will see it next week when i go into school!

quickly went over the extended answers bit with the teacher today, and i dont think it was a major muck-up! just hope that my MC wasnt really really bad (as it usually is much lower than my extended answers, always what pulls my grade that bit down then cant get my A, grrrr!)
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping.
When you feel like giving up...just remember why you held on for so long.

#95 Adam

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:23 PM

Hmm.. for Q6(b), where it shows a graph of Reaction Rate against Temperature, I said that the rate decreases above the optimum temperature because enzymes are highly specific and work best at certain conditions (i.e optimum temperature). Will that get me the mark..? huh.gif

#96 Mark

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(Adam @ Jun 1 2006, 12:23 AM) View Post

Hmm.. for Q6(b), where it shows a graph of Reaction Rate against Temperature, I said that the rate decreases above the optimum temperature because enzymes are highly specific and work best at certain conditions (i.e optimum temperature). Will that get me the mark..? huh.gif

That is true. I think what they are looking for here is that the enzyme is denatured i.e it's shape is permanently changed and essentially the active site is altered so the enzyme ceases to function. (This is from my biology knowledge) Just depends how tight the marking scheme is. Essentially I think they were looking for "the enzyme is denatured" well that's what I put.

#97 sarmad

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:02 AM

i said it was denatured as well!!!

#98 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:06 AM

Depends how tight the marking scheme is but I recon they were looking for denatures, change in shape etc.

#99 **Bernadette**

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I am currently in sixth year and I am doing higher music and advanced highers in maths chemistry and biology.<br />In fourth year I got six 1s in english, chemistry, biology, music, administration and modern studies. I also got 2 As in the int 2s I sat in french and maths. Last year I got five A's!! Woohoo!! I also sit piano exams so I have passed up to grade 6 practical and grade 5 theory so far. I would like to go on and study medicine.<br /><br />I like playing the piano, playing drums, dancing(tap, ballet, modern, highland, disco...), watching golf, tennis(I am not very good at playing but I love Wimbledon) reading, doing crosswords and loadsa other stuff! I am also trying to teach myself guitar which is funny!! I love music and I am going to see the Fratellis in feb and Razorlight in April!! Can't wait!! Some of my other favourite bands are snow patrol, blur, bloc party, radiohead, the kooks, oasis and of course the Beatles!!!!

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

I think it could because they always try and do that positive marking thing. You are not wrong so they can't really take away marks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users