Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
INFO systems - HSN forum

INFO systems

26 replies to this topic

#1 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 30 December 2003 - 08:48 PM

Could you ( the makers of this web-site) please put up some more resources for information systems, like some answered q's for information organsiation (like the 1 done for database systems) and more notes for it ; got my prelims coming up very soon :unsure: .

Also could anyone advise me on any books useful for the course because I can't find any!

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 11:25 PM

We have a further couple of normalisation examples in production, and I will try to find the time to produce something similar for Info Org. In the meantime, you might like to take a look at the SQA Website for last year's paper, with full answers.

We are considering an overhaul of the notes, to add more content and make them more user friendly, but again this will depend on how much time we can spare from our own revision. We could maybe be more helpful if there was a specific area you'd like help with, eg Copyright, or Characteristics of Information. If you have any good notes you'd like to share on HSN, please get in touch.

Regarding textbooks, there is frankly nothing out there (except University level stuff), although there is a very new, and fairly expensive, textbook (you can buy it on Amazon.co.uk). You might also consider buying the Leckie and Leckie Past Paper Book, although your teacher might be able to give you copies of the exam papers.

#3 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:27 PM

I was also wondering , if you know, if it is useful to but papers from the perfectpapers website as there is only 1 paper and it costs £32.00!!!

Is it really worthwhile?

Ally

#4 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 07:59 PM

As far as I'm aware, Perfect Papers only sell their papers to teachers, for use as prelims.

#5 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:11 PM

Could you put some q's on information organisation ,if you have time ,relating to control, desicion making, planning and education as i find that these come up in the exam more often than any other. Also some relating to operational , strateigic, and tactical information would be extremely useful.

Cheers,

Ally

#6 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:23 PM

I'll see what I can dig out on that, becuase those sorts of questions are quite common.

#7 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:14 PM

Hey!

I was wondering is there going to be any new releases out soon. Not trying to put pressure on use, because you've got work to do aswell.
And out of interest what did u get in Info Systems. I really need an A in it or else i'm buggered. I heard its like impossible to get an A in it ( like English) and like not many people do get an A. Is it possible??

Is there anyone else on this board doing Information Systems?? If so join in plz.

Ally

#8 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:11 PM

Hi

I'm only just doing Info Systems this year - I did Higher Computing in S5.

I've been predicted to get an A but I've got the prelim on Wednesday so we'll wait and see. I think last year's paper was quite difficult which hopefully means that this year's will be a bit easier!

Only one person (George) got an A in our school last year but I think I should be able to. :P

People seem to find Databases the hardest unit so if you can get good at that then I think that helps towards getting an A. I just always try to write a lot for answers to Info Org questions and that usually gets me the marks.

It's probably better that it seems a hard exam - because then you don't need to do as well to get an A (you only needed 64% to get an A in English last year because everyone else did so badly).

I expect to get an A for Info Systems and will be disappointed if I don't, I also got an upper A in Higher English last year (and I hated English) so that is definitely possible too!
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#9 Steve

Top of the Class

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 12:20 PM

I would recommend buying Past Papers - they are really useful for revision - and they let you see the style of the questions which you will be asked.

You can get them on Amazon
HSN contribute: Help the site grow!

Looking for a Maths tutor in West Lothian? Just PM me!

#10 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:25 PM

I'm studying Higher IS this year, I wouldn't say its a particularly hard course really . . . the problem is the lack of resources for it

It's good HSN has some stuff on it

The key really in IS is just to use your common sense and write as much as you can. With 2½ hours for 70 marks you can write (and are probably expected to write) loads for each question - the more you write the more you're likely to get a mark for

Practice up your normalisation and that's 10 marks already, added to the 30% of your grade from the coursework. Plus other basic database theory and info org stuff - it's really a question of learning up things; and then in some cases relating them to a particular scenario, which granted is a harder thing to do

I'm studying the optional Hypermedia unit, anyone else doing that?

#11 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 02:15 PM

Yeah we're going to be doing the Hypermedia section ( not started it yet though). Have u started it, is it harder than the database or info org?

What do u use for revision material apart from leckie and leckie and HSN? There isn't miuch materials apart from that is there?

And do any of you know if you need to revise Network Topology or Feedback for control ( I looked over all the past papers and it seems that it doesn't come up at all, have they just put in in for fun? :D ) .

I've tried buying this book: Higher Information Systems on amazon but it says it will be published like in May , but on Amazon it says dispatch data will be later this month, so hopfully i'll get it before the finals, has any1 else got a copy?? ( Did George have a copy)

I've got some tips for the prelim (depending if every school gets the same prelim paper from the same place) . In school our teacher gave as unit tests which consisted of last years prelim - which was more or less identical to the 2001 paper, but with figures and some information altered. So I'm presuming this years prelim will be like the 2002 - so I'm just going over that as many times as i can.

Ally

#12 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 02:17 PM

Woops!!

Silly me , how is George supposed to have the book if it hasn't been published yet :blink: ?

Ally

#13 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 05:10 PM

There's one section if hypermedia which is particularly difficult to understand and its incredibly dull

But if you're good at learning things then it won't be much of a problem

The resources we use are just the HSDU notes, past papers and past prelim papers.

#14 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:10 PM

Wots up!

How did everyone's Info Systems prelim go?
I thought mine went fairly well - mostly due to the fact that the paper was very similiar to some past paper questions. ( I don't know how i would have done without them)

Anyone had their marks back from their Coursework yet - anyone do one about Jeeves & Co? I should have my marks back soon.

Ally

#15 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 10:16 PM

George, on Jan 6 2004, 11:25 PM, said:

We have a further couple of normalisation examples in production, and I will try to find the time to produce something similar for Info Org.
Hey!

George, just wondering how all the materials are going?

Ally

#16 catm82

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 02:02 PM

Hi! I got 78% in my IS prelim, which i was chuffed to bits with...
The only thing is, I sat my higher at a FE college, and the teacher was saying that our prelim was too easy, which may mean we wont get an appeal if we need it :(
I totally failed my maths prelim and got 58% in English, I was 2 marks off of getting a B for English!

#17 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:34 PM

Whats a Fe College... :huh:

#18 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:32 PM

I think its Further Education.......

#19 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:21 PM

Could someone help me understand this:

In the PA report the Pricipal Assessor says:

'The grade boundaries at ‘C’, ‘B’ and ‘A’ reflect the level of difficulty and accessibility of the external assessment: that is, course work and examination.'

The Boundaries given are:

Upper A — 84
A — 73
B — 63
C — 53

Can someone explain to me what he is suggesting here as the boundaires seem normal of a typical Higher exam.

#20 Allan

Top of the Class

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 05:23 PM

I think he's just meaning that's how they set the cut-offs, perhaps because they're off the normal 50/60/70 mark

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users