Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
(to Standard Grade candidates) what did you get? - HSN forum

(to Standard Grade candidates) what did you get?

71 replies to this topic

#1 8139222012

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:16 AM

This is my results:

English: 2
Maths: 3
Admin: 4 (I was disappointed about my Admin grade)
Art: 3
German: 3
History: 3
Info Systems Intermediate 2: A (Is that the same as a 1 in Credit or better?)
Chemistry Intermediate 1: B (Is that the same as a 3 in General? Or maybe better?)

#2 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:28 AM

You could say that an Intermediate 2 A is about the same as a Credit 1, but it is probably worth more since Intermediates are supposed to be slightly harder than Standard Grade Credit.

So, an A in Intermediate 2 would probably be the same as an A in a GCSE, as I think they are the same in terms of difficulty.

#3 sparky

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:04 PM

Yeah I think thats correct. With Int2 A's and Credits you can progress to a "Higher" in that subject.

With general grades, there tends to be an emphasis to do an Int2 A in the subject.
Mark

#4 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

I got an Int 2 C for Chemistry, my teacher said that it's the same as a credit standard grade.

*** FYI: I heard from a teacher recently that a Higher 'D' is looked upon as a Standard Grade 2, where as, the old system would have gave you an Int 2 A, which is looked upon as better than a standard grade 1. Also, a Higher 'D' is considered an actual fail, an Int 2 A is an actual qualification.

*** Not that above information directly applies to your question, I'm just trying to give some insight to the way grades are looked upon.

Intermediate 1 and 2

Intermediate 1 and 2 are challenging but achievable qualifications and may also be a useful step towards Highers.  Intermediate 1 and 2 can be studied at school or college - you don't have to study Standard Grades first.

Both Intermediate 1 and 2 may be suitable for anyone wishing to take up a new subject that they have not previously studied.

Intermediate 1 may be particularly suitable for students who have passed subjects at Standard Grade Foundation level or who are ready to progress from Access 3 level.

Intermediate 2 may be particularly suitable for students who have passed subjects at Standard Grade General level, as taking a Higher in just one year after Standard Grade can be very demanding.  For some students, Intermediate 2 provides a stepping stone to taking a Higher.

An increasing number of schools now offer Intermediate Courses and Units instead of, or as well as, Standard Grades in third or fourth year.

It is important that students attempt NQs at the most appropriate level for their needs.  Many parents, for example, are keen to encourage their child to attempt Highers, although guidance from the school would suggest Intermediate 2 would be more suitable for the child, based on previous achievement.

#5 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:09 PM

You can see more information about the grade comparisons here

#6 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:15 PM

Does anyone know if D's are actually given any points in the UCAS tarriff?

If not, then that it quite unfair as if you just failed an AH exam you would have got a Higher A in that subject (72 points). Now, however, you may be given no points at all.

#7 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:33 PM

Points? Do you need a certain amount of points to apply for university?!

#8 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:39 PM

It depends what Universities you apply to.

Some Universities use the UCAS tarriff but I think quite a lot don't.

I think most of them just look at your grades.

#9 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:42 PM

yea but grades = points so its all the same actually if you use the old pre higher still points system ie: A-3 points B- 2 points and C-1 point you get the same sort of equating of grades for 5 highers and grades if you sat 4 highers

D don't get points because they are a fail. The problem with the old system of getting an in2 A is that someone could sat in a higher class knowing they cannot pass and get an in2 from a D in the higher but if they were to sit the in2 paper in the first place they may not have achieved the A grade

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#10 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:24 PM

Is there any publications, ie. from the SQA website that talks about points? I want to try and total up all my points and determine how many I have!

#11 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:33 PM

There is the Tariff Calculator which should be found on the link

#12 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 02:36 PM

Thank you. I have a score of 442.

(I never counted coreskills)

Hmmmm

#13 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:56 PM

A grade D does have 42 UCAS points but universities won't really look at the points where grade Ds are concerned as they are fails.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#14 Paul!"$%^&*1122

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Interests:Anything goes really

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:06 PM

My results for my standard grades 2004 were:
Maths 4
English 2
Drama 2
Spanish 1
History 1
Modern Studies 1
Computing 1
Biology 2

I was very pleaased and this year im doing 4 highers and int
Higher : spanish, modies, english , information systems and int2 maths. My ahrdest so far have been modies as their is so much and info how i regret.

Paul!!!!!!!!!!

[color=Fur coat n nae "knickers"!!!!!!![/color]

#15 Alz

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 05:27 PM

Even though I had a 'traumatic' year, I still managed to get a credit pass on all my standard grades, much to the disbelief of the guidance staff.

English - 1 (Thanks to an appeal. I was feeling like ---- the day of the exam >.<)
Maths - 2
Chemistry - 2
Computing Studies - 2
History - 2
Art + Design - 2
French - 2
Business Management - 2

#16 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:26 PM

I got...

Maths - 1
English - 1 (dont know how I managed that lol)
German - 2
History - 2
Tech Studies - 1
Graph Com - 1
Physics - 1
Chemisrty - 2

#17 *...dancin...dudette...*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:10 PM

Hey new person here LOL

i got

Admin - 1
English - 1
French - 1
Geography - 1
Music - 1
Spanish - 1
Maths - 2
Biology - 2

I was really surprised by mines didnt think i was goin to do anywhere near as good as that.

#18 Floorball Maniac

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:50 PM

Well Done! They are good results! biggrin.gif

#19 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:48 PM

i got 8 1's - maths, eng, fre, physics, history, h'ec, admin, bus man
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#20 kirsty1988

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Relationships<br />Friendships<br />Food<br />XBOX!<br />Dancing my own way

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

My results:
English 1
Maths 1
Biology 1
Chemistry 2
Art 2
French 2
Tech 2
Spanish 2
History 2
Kirsty Worsty