Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Your Results - HSN forum - Page 5

Your Results

110 replies to this topic

#81 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE(ally @ Aug 11 2004, 02:31 PM)
AH Maths, I got As in 2 prelims, with havin close to 90% in each, what chances are there of my appealing and gettin an A?

AH Art, I was predicted and A, and if not , then a B - but marker gives me a C, My work was organised, plentiful, well layed out, accurate, and time consumin to say the least - so what can I do about it. I had 15 ppl in my AH Class, I was on of 2 which passed (both of us gettin a C) - the rest gettin a D or a FAIL. Am I liable to appeal for AH Art? is it possible?

Hope sum1 can help me here.

View Post

I think you should be able to get an appeal for Maths, I mean your prelim marks are excellent. But then again, I've never been through the process of appealing myself, so don't know that much about it.

For art, were your class predicted to get a D or fail? Because I think you have a better chance of getting a successful appeal if your class got their predicted results. Don't ask me why. It seems so stupid!

View Post

ALL of my class were predicted to pass, with about 5/6 predicted an A!!! but yet, only 2 of us passed with a C.....what is goin on here?!?!?
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#82 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE(Silver @ Aug 12 2004, 03:01 AM)
QUOTE(Shandogg @ Aug 11 2004, 02:02 PM)

AH Art, I was predicted and A, and if not , then a B - but marker gives me a C, My work was organised, plentiful, well layed out, accurate, and time consumin to say the least - so what can I do about it. I had 15 ppl in my AH Class, I was on of 2 which passed (both of us gettin a C) - the rest gettin a D or a FAIL. Am I liable to appeal for AH Art? is it possible?

Hope sum1 can help me here.

View Post

My Art teacher was talking about the AH I'm taking this year, and she told us that most of the markers for AH Art are really, really out of touch and don't appreciate what it is they are looking at when they see an AH Art. According to her the last thing we should think about is the mark we get, and we should just work on the portfolio and get a great standard for it, because art schools etc won't care about the mark, they will just view the portfolio themselves.

I don't know if you can appeal for Art, we were told we couldn't appeal for Higher Art at all. Don't know if it's true though.

View Post

I have heard of about 20 ppl so far who are in the same situation as myself - the markers need shot!! and you can appeal for Higher Art, about 12 ppl in my school appealed last year, only 3 were successful, but its possible

Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#83 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:45 AM

I got AABBB. The A's were for English and Media, while the B's were from Maths, Business and Computing. Got A's in my Prelim for Comp and Business, so I'll be putting in an appeal for the pair of them. Still pleased with my grades, as I'll be able to get into Uni with them, but it would be nice to have them upgraded.

#84 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Aug 11 2004, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE(ally @ Aug 11 2004, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 11 2004, 08:45 PM)

when you ask for an appeal your paper is also remarked so that another good reaon for goinf through with it and also can help do a C-A job!!

View Post

I was just wondering, not that many of you will know the answer, but is it possible to get downgraded after re-marking the paper? - Yes, I know, quite a stupid question. tongue.gif

View Post

No, you cannot be downgraded. Even if a mistake is found the lowest grade that you receive is the one the appears on your certificate. Markers are supposed to double check all marks and totals before submitting their scripts. Cross marking and standardisation helps to alleviate the problems which can occur.

Basically the only change will be upwards.

View Post

thats nonsence your grade can go down

#85 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:43 PM

If you appeal your grade cannot go down! My teacher told me this so it really is true. Sorry James1.
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#86 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:22 PM

Yeah james1, I'm pretty sure your grade cannot be lowered. Like a couple of years ago during the exams fiasco, people got better grades than they should have gotten, and the SQA weren't allowed to downgrade them despite knowing that their grades should be lower.

#87 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(james1 @ Aug 12 2004, 05:55 PM)
QUOTE(werlop @ Aug 11 2004, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE(ally @ Aug 11 2004, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 11 2004, 08:45 PM)

when you ask for an appeal your paper is also remarked so that another good reaon for goinf through with it and also can help do a C-A job!!

View Post

I was just wondering, not that many of you will know the answer, but is it possible to get downgraded after re-marking the paper? - Yes, I know, quite a stupid question. tongue.gif

View Post

No, you cannot be downgraded. Even if a mistake is found the lowest grade that you receive is the one the appears on your certificate. Markers are supposed to double check all marks and totals before submitting their scripts. Cross marking and standardisation helps to alleviate the problems which can occur.

Basically the only change will be upwards.

View Post

thats nonsence your grade can go down

View Post

James, I'm sorry to say you are wrong for once. My mum works with the SQA as an exam setter, moderator and is greatly involved with the appeals process. I have asked her and she has said that a grade can only go up, never down once it has been printed on a certificate. The SQA do not allow grades to be lowered as it suggests errors in their marking/administration processes and that would cause outcry.

Furthermore, the SQA sends schools lists of pupils who can be appealed for - these are pupils who are likely to have a successful appeal - who missed their predicted grade. Pupils who could potentially fall downwards are not given the chance of an appeal.

I can quote you sections of the 2004 appeals system guide (something that is not available for download) if you really want that refute your statement.

Also, appeals are usually limited to 2 bands of grade upgrading unless in exceptional circumstances.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#88 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:48 AM

werlop, sine you are familiar with the appeals process, does the exam paper definitely get remarked? I always thought they just looked at other evidence.

#89 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:33 PM

It doesn't always get remarked. If several appeals are being made against marking by the one marker then it is likely that most of the people appealing who had their scripts maked by that marker will have their scripts remarked.

However, if only a handful of candiates are appealing for exams marked by a certain marker than it is unlikely that they will be remarked as most candidates are satisfied with the marking from that marker.

Hmmm hope you can understand what I am trying to say. It is too much work to remark every script that would need to be considered for appeal.

Other evidence is the main method by which a decision is made.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#90 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:25 PM

I really hope my English paper is remarked as I do think I've been robbed...
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#91 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:48 PM

werlop you are wrong as grades can be downgraded

if your appeal is unsuccessful and they discover you have been awarded a higher grade than u shud u will be dongraded

i'm sorry to say werlop, purplestars and keith, you are all misinformed.

refer to page 2 of section 8 in the operation guide on the SQA website:

"if a candidate has received a higher grade than he or she has actually achieved,
our records will be amended to show the correct result"

please do not give out information to pupils which may not be correct

#92 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:20 PM

Oh, shut up

#93 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Aug 13 2004, 10:30 AM)
Furthermore, the SQA sends schools lists of pupils who can be appealed for - these are pupils who are likely to have a successful appeal - who missed their predicted grade.

View Post

Wouldn't it make sense for the SQA to give those pupils their predicted grades automatically?

QUOTE(james1 @ Aug 13 2004, 06:48 PM)
werlop you are wrong as grades can be downgraded

if your appeal is unsuccessful and they discover you have been awarded a higher grade than u shud u will be dongraded

i'm sorry to say werlop, purplestars and keith, you are all misinformed.

refer to page 2 of section 8 in the operation guide on the SQA website:

"if a candidate has received a higher grade than he or she has actually achieved,

View Post

Hmmm.. I've got to say that I'm with Werlop, xpurple_starsx, and keith on this one.

Werlop seems to know a lot on appeals and he does say his mum is an examiner. And james1, you do occasionally seem to come out with a lot of bs.

#94 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:52 PM

James1 - Your wrong once again - sort yourself out man! Do you have to go against wot every1 else says - even with such evidence as Werlops Mum workin on appeals . . . you always talk a load of bs, are u hired to cause disrupt, debate and anger with other members - cos thats all you seem to do
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#95 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:29 PM

everyone look at http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/OpGuide_Schools_Final.pdf
section 8 page 2
it's in black and white
im only trying to help give the right info

#96 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:39 PM

james1, I've read the part you indicate, and it does state that the SQA will correct any mistakes they become aware of.

I've never heard of them reducing a grade on an appeal though, and section 8 of that document is not set in the context of appeals.

Clearly there's some confusion here, so please refrain from getting catty smile.gif (everyone!)

#97 keith

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:44 PM

It says the SQA's records will be amended to show the correct result. However, it does not say that the amended result will become your actual result.

#98 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE(keith @ Aug 13 2004, 10:44 PM)

It says the SQA's records will be amended to show the correct result. However, it does not say that the amended result will become your actual result.

View Post

keith it's happened before

peoples certs become void and new ones are issued along with an apology letter from the sqa

"In addition, SQA will write to the candidate to explain and apologise for the error
and for any distress caused. SQA will issue a new certificate to the candidate with
a request that the erroneous certificate be destroyed.

#99 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE(George @ Aug 13 2004, 10:39 PM)
james1, I've read the part you indicate, and it does state that the SQA will correct any mistakes they become aware of.

I've never heard of them reducing a grade on an appeal though, and section 8 of that document is not set in the context of appeals.

Clearly there's some confusion here, so please refrain from getting catty smile.gif (everyone!)

View Post

george i was trying to point out if they reconsider the official script and find e.g. there has been an overrated mark or arithmetic errors even at the appeal they can downgrade

#100 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE(George @ Aug 13 2004, 10:39 PM)
section 8 of that document is not set in the context of appeals.

View Post

Exactly!

james1 you have misinterpretated what is said in that document. I think the SQA are referring to administration errors, as was seen a few years ago in the exam fiasco

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users