Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Your Results - HSN forum - Page 4

Your Results

110 replies to this topic

#61 30111987

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 10 2004, 06:56 PM)
The irony is with these results i could easily get into 90-95% of all the course scotland uni's have to offer, problem is that it doesn't include MEng computer science and most people and my friend beat me with their results sad.gif

View Post

i think edinburgh and heriot watt will take u into computer science on that
i could be wrong..

#62 Bigmanstu

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(30111987 @ Aug 10 2004, 11:43 PM)
well
if ur not going to need the better results then i'd not appeal

if u have a really strong appeal fair enough, but prelims arent the only thing they look at
NABs and practice papers are also useful

View Post

Thanks - I'm gonna wait until i go back and speak to assistant head rather than get an appointment now - lets face it a lot of people would kill for 3 A's and 2B's wink.gif

All my nabs were well passed and I hope it will be a simple matter of upgrading. Another thing - noone in my year got 5A's, out of about 6 or 7 people predicted to do so. Has anyone else's school not done as well across the board? sad.gif

#63 linds

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:18 AM

There's two people at my school who got 5 A's that I know of so far. Which is really good considering there have been years when no one did. And also considering my school's in Airdrie and it's a hell hole. tongue.gif

#64 Paul

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts
  • Interests:was at Glasgow Uni Studying Maths, Physics and Geography for a year but got bored of it and decided to go to Strathclyde and do Maths with Teaching, currently enjoying my summer holidays before starting 2nd year in september!<br /><br />grades achieved at school were:<br /><br />SG Maths - 1<br />SG Physics - 1<br />SG Graphics - 1<br />SG Admin - 1<br />SG German - 2<br />SG Geography - 2<br />SG English - 2<br />SG Art - 2<br />H Maths - B<br />H Physics - B<br />H English - B<br />H Art - A<br />H Accounts - A<br />H Admin - A<br />AH Maths - A<br />AH Art - C<br /><br />Music...wot would I do without it!? Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand, Editors, Arctic Monkeys, Maximo Park, Hard-Fi, Greenday, Stereophonics, Oasis, Kasabian, Raconteurs, Dirty Pretty Things, Libertines... I could go on all day!<br /><br />Moderator for HSN so don't hesitate to get in touch!

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:02 PM

Hey I got:

Maths (AH) - B [Predicted an A and wanted and A, but happy enuf!]
Art (AH) - C [got A in preliam with same work I submitted, glad I passed tho]
Accounting and Finance (H) - A [Predicted A, what more can I ask 4!?]
English (H) - B [never expected that, shock horror, failed my prelim!]

AH Maths, I got As in 2 prelims, with havin close to 90% in each, what chances are there of my appealing and gettin an A?

AH Art, I was predicted and A, and if not , then a B - but marker gives me a C, My work was organised, plentiful, well layed out, accurate, and time consumin to say the least - so what can I do about it. I had 15 ppl in my AH Class, I was on of 2 which passed (both of us gettin a C) - the rest gettin a D or a FAIL. Am I liable to appeal for AH Art? is it possible?

Hope sum1 can help me here.
Rockness 2008!
T in the Park 2008!
YAS!

#65 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts
  • Interests:Just finished 1st year at uni studying medicine.

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:31 PM

AH Maths, I got As in 2 prelims, with havin close to 90% in each, what chances are there of my appealing and gettin an A?

AH Art, I was predicted and A, and if not , then a B - but marker gives me a C, My work was organised, plentiful, well layed out, accurate, and time consumin to say the least - so what can I do about it. I had 15 ppl in my AH Class, I was on of 2 which passed (both of us gettin a C) - the rest gettin a D or a FAIL. Am I liable to appeal for AH Art? is it possible?

View Post

I think you should be able to get an appeal for Maths, I mean your prelim marks are excellent. But then again, I've never been through the process of appealing myself, so don't know that much about it.

For art, were your class predicted to get a D or fail? Because I think you have a better chance of getting a successful appeal if your class got their predicted results. Don't ask me why. It seems so stupid!

#66 strosek911

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:15 PM

i was well happy gettin 5A's. they must have lowered the pass marks for english lol!!! biggrin.gif

#67 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:34 PM

For those wondering about appeals see these documents:

SQA Appeals Handbook for Centres

SQA's General Guide so Appeals and Assessment of Absent Pupils

Subject Specific Information on Appeals

Also, in most subjects NAB's cannot be used for appeals. They are able to be used in subjects like geography where all questions are of a similar standard to exams and the mark is based upon the quality of the response, but not for example in maths where the questions determine the difficulty.

Also, if you were predicted an A and you got a B it means that either less than 6 people in your school were predicted an A or less than 60% of the people in your school who were predicted an A got that A.

As to how well people did - in my school I know of at least 9 people (people I have talked to so far) who got 5 A's, I got 6 A's, and the average seems to be AAAAB or AAABB. This is not a private school. However, I do know one person who got ACCDD.

The system is very fair, and to those who are complaining about D's, they are actually worth more in the UCAS tarrif than an Int 2 A which was the old compensatory award.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#68 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Aug 11 2004, 02:31 PM)
For art, were your class predicted to get a D or fail?  Because I think you have a better chance of getting a successful appeal if your class got their predicted results.  Don't ask me why. It seems so stupid!

View Post

It's not stupid at all - if the class get their predicted grades it proves to the SQA that the teacher's predictions were correct which suggests that you should have got the grade you were predicted along with everybody else - if predicted grades do not match final grades throughout the class it indicates serious error in the teacher's judgement and the SQA suggeste that teacher is investigated by the school.
user posted image

#69 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:41 PM

Ahhh, I get it now! rolleyes.gif lol

Do you know if there are any files showing the success rate of appeals?

#70 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(werlop @ Aug 11 2004, 04:34 PM)
Also, if you were predicted an A and you got a B it means that either less than 6 people in your school were predicted an A or less than 60% of the people in your school who were predicted an A got that A.

View Post

Isn't that unfair then, if you go to a school which isn't academically that great?

#71 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Aug 11 2004, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE(werlop @ Aug 11 2004, 04:34 PM)

View Post

Isn't that unfair then, if you go to a school which isn't acadmedically that great?

View Post

Yes and no.

Yes becuase few would be predicted high grades, but no because everyone will have a predicted grade and the teachers will still have to predict accurate grades for them. If they recieve the grades which are predicted (even if they are D's or fails) then it proves that the teacher can make proper predictions and that consequently you should have recieved your prediction.
user posted image

#72 Kittyx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 07:06 PM

A A B B C...

i am gutted at my C for english i got an A in my prelim and i hoped for a B...so i think i will be appealing since i need a B to get into my university course.

My results didn't come till 12 noon! All my friends were calling and telling me and the waiting was awful not to mention the envelope was soaken wet!!

I am extremely surprised at maths and physics being B's... got my A in comp and biology which i'd hoped for!

Need to see about English but overlall happy...

most people i know did well a few bad apples though!

Congrats to all though smile.gif

#73 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(Lindsay @ Aug 11 2004, 12:18 PM)
There's two people at my school who got 5 A's that I know of so far.  Which is really good considering there have been years when no one did.  And also considering my school's in Airdrie and it's a hell hole. tongue.gif

View Post

Sounds very very familiar... exactly the same as my school except it is in Brechin!

#74 Shaun

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:40 PM

Thou Shalt Take Pride in Thy School!

#75 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:45 PM

werlop knows his stuff on appeals

Also, you cannot always say because you got 80-90% in your perlims that you will get an appeal because the sqa have to see exam standard evidence from all units not just the first 2 from christmas perlims.

It is indeed possible that you can fail or get a C in the perlims and get an A on appeal if the evidence is good

when you ask for an appeal your paper is also remarked so that another good reaon for goinf through with it and also can help do a C-A job!!

As for my own situation i got AABBC and that allows me into BSci (hons) computer Science in any university around HOWEVER i want to do the MEng computer science at strathclyde but they want AABBB or AAAA so under the old old old system i 1 point from what they want ie C-B but if i get my appeal for physics from a B-A then i should be fine

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#76 Ally

HSN Legend

• Moderators
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 11 2004, 08:45 PM)

when you ask for an appeal your paper is also remarked so that another good reaon for goinf through with it and also can help do a C-A job!!

View Post

I was just wondering, not that many of you will know the answer, but is it possible to get downgraded after re-marking the paper? - Yes, I know, quite a stupid question. tongue.gif

#77 russellelly

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:31 PM

I am really happy with (all highers)

A - Maths, Physics, Computing and Mod Studs (got a Band 6 in prelim ohmy.gif )
C - English (I got a D in the prelim so I was happy to get a pass at all.

#78 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE(ally @ Aug 11 2004, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 11 2004, 08:45 PM)

View Post

I was just wondering, not that many of you will know the answer, but is it possible to get downgraded after re-marking the paper? - Yes, I know, quite a stupid question. tongue.gif

View Post

No, you cannot be downgraded. Even if a mistake is found the lowest grade that you receive is the one the appears on your certificate. Markers are supposed to double check all marks and totals before submitting their scripts. Cross marking and standardisation helps to alleviate the problems which can occur.

Basically the only change will be upwards.
user posted image

#79 Silver

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Location:Chasing WB execs with a knife- damn those Angel cancellers
  • Interests:Buffy, Angel, ice skating, my pond, the supernatural, Ginger Snaps (I and II), Thirteen, Graphic design, Flash movies, RPGs (playing and creating), drawing, writing

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE(Shandogg @ Aug 11 2004, 02:02 PM)

View Post

My Art teacher was talking about the AH I'm taking this year, and she told us that most of the markers for AH Art are really, really out of touch and don't appreciate what it is they are looking at when they see an AH Art. According to her the last thing we should think about is the mark we get, and we should just work on the portfolio and get a great standard for it, because art schools etc won't care about the mark, they will just view the portfolio themselves.

I don't know if you can appeal for Art, we were told we couldn't appeal for Higher Art at all. Don't know if it's true though.

#80 Silver

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Location:Chasing WB execs with a knife- damn those Angel cancellers
  • Interests:Buffy, Angel, ice skating, my pond, the supernatural, Ginger Snaps (I and II), Thirteen, Graphic design, Flash movies, RPGs (playing and creating), drawing, writing

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE(Bigmanstu @ Aug 11 2004, 11:02 AM)
noone in my year got 5A's, out of about 6 or 7 people predicted to do so. Has anyone else's school not done as well across the board?  sad.gif

View Post

I don't know about my whole year, but everyone I have talked to has fallen from their expected and predicted grades, some of them quite a lot- one of my friends went down in every subject and dropped quite severely in two of them. So everyone I've talked to hasn't done as well as expected.

If you did badly in prelims, but well in all your NABs, could you base an appeal on that? I know it's not likely, but I got almost full marks in all my prelims for Physics and Maths, but badly in the prelims themselves.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users