Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Duke Of Edinburgh - HSN forum

Duke Of Edinburgh

8 replies to this topic

#1 superstar

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:41 PM

So i am doing my Duke of Edinburgh Gold hike nxt wk and i was wondering if any of you do Duke of Edinburgh and wot stage u are at? biggrin.gif

#2 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:59 PM

I've got Bronze and Silver, and I'm well on the way to finishing Gold.

I actually did the expedition at the start of the summer holidays last year, and the residential a couple of weeks after that.

The expedition was (with the benefit of hindsight) really good. Of course, there were some pretty awful bits, but it's all good "character building experience". And besides, you forget about getting blisters for the first time ever on the second last day. And the midges. And hobbling about for the week after it. OK, so maybe you don't forget but you're more likely to remember the general feeling of achievement.

The residential was good too, with The Green Team. Tents aren't really my thing, but at least we were in someone's (very large) garden.

Ooh, I'm getting all nostalgic now tongue.gif

#3 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:05 PM

I'm doing gold and I'm almost finished.

I have done my resedential project which I did at Fordell Firs Scout Centre and am doing my 50 mile hike at the weekend.
I just have to finish my skill section.

DOE wanted to cancel our hike becuase the route was too hard, but we are going ahead anyway because our practice hike route was even harder. First day we are doing 23 miles blink.gif

DOE gold ties neatly in with queen scouts award, so I should be getting that too.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#4 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts
  • Interests:Haribo and irn bru, thanks.

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:26 AM

I'm doing my Duke of Edinburgh sliver at the moment. All i've actually done so far is working in a charity shop for an hour each thursday - which is well good , i love it biggrin.gif I'm going to contact my person to see if my trip to brazil this summer will count for teh expedition as it included camping,treks etc..so hopefully i'll have that crossed out too! Not really sure what to do for sport - i'm really sporty i am rolleyes.gif wink.gif possibly swimming as i've started going on tuesday afternoons due to a free timetable biggrin.gif For skill, i need some help, my mum does a Sunday School thing at church each week and it says in teh pack you get that religion can be used for skill.Do you think that if i went along and helped with her each sunday that that would count as skill? if you get what i mean!

user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",
And sometimes silly folk,
They call my moos "coos".

#5 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:24 PM

Why not take up a musical instrument?

I noticed your display picture is Tux the penguin and a linux for life motto, are you good with computers then? Do some programming, or design a website or something mabye.
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#6 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:57 PM

i really am rubbish at music and things like that... :lol:thanks for the suggestion though! smile.gif As for my logo thing...i jsut chose it cause i liked the penguin laugh.gif what does linux for life mean? unsure.gif huh.gif Am i good with computers...well i got a 1 in admin if that counts tongue.gif i've been thinking i might do something arts n craft with the guides or something like that.
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

#7 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(lesley @ Aug 22 2004, 10:26 AM)
I'm doing my Duke of Edinburgh sliver at the moment. All i've actually done so far is working in a charity shop for an hour each thursday - which is well good , i love it  biggrin.gif I'm going to contact my person to see if my trip to brazil this summer will count for teh expedition as it included camping,treks etc..so hopefully i'll have that crossed out too! Not really sure what to do for sport - i'm really sporty i am  rolleyes.gif wink.gif  possibly swimming as i've started going on tuesday afternoons due to a free timetable  biggrin.gif For skill, i need some help, my mum does a Sunday School thing at church each week and it says in teh pack you get that religion can be used for skill.Do you think that if i went along and helped with her each sunday that that would count as skill? if you get what i mean!

View Post

absolutely!

#8 james1

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(lesley @ Aug 22 2004, 08:57 PM)
i really am rubbish at music and things like that... :lol:thanks for the suggestion though! smile.gif  As for my logo thing...i jsut chose it cause i liked the penguin  laugh.gif what does linux for life mean?  unsure.gif  huh.gif Am i good with computers...well i got a 1 in admin if that counts  tongue.gif  i've been thinking i might do something arts n craft with the guides or something like that.

View Post

it would have to be to develop something like leadership skills

it sounds like a service after your second post

it will be alrite tho especially at silver

#9 Lesley

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:28 PM

I think i'll look into doing something at guides. I've recently became a young leader so maybe that will be a way to exert my new authority cool.gif I know there's plenty of things i could do...taxidermy for example wink.gif but some of the things they've listed really don't interest me. I want to make it an enjoyable experience so i suppose the more i think about iti'll find exactly what i'm after....

so when's that art attack on tv? i need some ideas biggrin.gif
user posted image
Cows are magnificent,
Cows I call them "moos",

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users