Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Any body there? - HSN forum

Any body there?

5 replies to this topic

#1 charles

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:02 AM

What are the range of positive and negative integers that can be stored using:

a) 8 bits
b) n bits

#2 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

the number of discrete integers that can be stored with 8 bits is obviously 2^8 however when we have negative numbers then we need to share that 2^8 bank over both negative and positive numbers. there is a general equation but i dont think you will need to learn it as the understanding of it is quite simple. The general equation is:

range =

-(2n-1-1) to (2n-1-1)

can you think of a reason why we subtract the ones

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#3 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping <3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

Something to do with the 0 isn't it ??
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#4 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:21 PM

yeh there is a zero which is in the middle which needs to be taken into account. more importantly zero can be represented in 2 ways which is why u take 1 from both the negative and positive numbers. In two's complement you only take one from the positive side as is shown below

#5 charles

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(charles @ May 27 2006, 12:02 PM) View Post

What are the range of positive and negative integers that can be stored using:

a) 8 bits
b) n bits

How about using two's component reprensent it?

a) 0000 0000-1111 1111 It positive, how about negative?

Thanx

#6 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:44 PM

in two's complement the range is -2n-1 to 2n-1-1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users