Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2002 - Written Paper - Q4(b) - HSN forum

2002 - Written Paper - Q4(b)

11 replies to this topic

#1 someone11

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

Hello

yea sorry i get it now, it was late i was rambling.

I actually havea genuine question about 2002, question 4b)

The reaction FeS and FeCl -----> H2S + FeCl

In FeS iron is sometimes present as an impurity. Name the other product which would be formed in the reaction with dilute hydrochloric acid if iron metal is present as an impurity.

The answr is hydrogen but how?????

#2 Pyrefly

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 11:54 AM

Well..im nto any good at chemistry....but i dont know where the 0.02 moles came from for the H2SO4....

moles= concentration * Volume

both acids have the same concentration and volume..so they surely have the same number of moles...

ya if someone would help out it be nice..im a tad confused here too

#3 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping <3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(Pyrefly @ May 25 2006, 11:54 AM) View Post

both acids have the same concentration and volume..so they surely have the same number of moles...

Yeah I'd agree with that

Someone11, you confused me a wee bit sad.gif so I'm gonna wait for someone smarter to come along tongue.gif
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#4 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:51 PM

Can you give the question in context (or PM me it) because I don't quite understand what you mean.

#5 xpurple_starsx

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Well I'm in second year at Glasgow Yewnee studying Biology Type Things... haven't decided on my actual degree subject yet... someone wanna choose for me??

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

This is a bit of a guess so check with someone else but... has it got something to do with the fact that there are 2H in H2SO4, whereas most other acids only have one H like HNO3? That might alter the number of moles reacting?

I'm not sure but I remember being told that H2SO4 is different because of the 2H.

Sorry if that's utter rubbish!
The race is long, and in the end it's only with yourself.

#6 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

that is true...i can't remember what difference exactly the 2nd H makes though....i've got a feeling it's got something to do with how quick it reacts...can't remember though huh.gif

#7 Ali89

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Im a big fan of the outdoors! Whenever possible, i try to get out hillwalking / mountainbiking and during the winter months also try and get as much cross country skiing as possible! Also love cycling!<br /><br />always over at the west coast - favourite place in the world along with the Outer Hebrides.<br /><br />Done Bronze and Silver and in amongst Gold duke of Edinburgh at the moment. <br /><br />Done voluntary work at a nursing home now for over 2 years and still enjoying it!<br /><br />anyway, think that's enough about me.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:20 PM

isn't the H2 part of H2SO4 called it's something power? you know, you use it in N1C1V1 = N2C2V2... i had a feeling it was called the neutralising power? or power of the acid?

#8 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:54 PM

Ok, I think I know what you're trying to get at but if im wrong tell me.

Lets take 2 equations one involving sulphuric acid and one involving hydrochloric acid:

NaOH + HCl ----> NaCl + H2O In this equation 1 mole of alkali neutralises one mole of acid.

However if you take the balanced equation for H2SO4 it looks like this:

2NaOH + H2SO4 -------> Na2SO4 + 2H2O

Technically they require the same moles of alkali as the ratio is still 1:1 however the power of the sulphuric acid is 2. Therefore as there are 2 H+ ions there are 2OH- ions but the ratio remains the same.

#9 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 05:08 PM

Or, if you take 2001 section A Q3,

Answer is D because

PCVacid = PCValkali
implies.gif 2x0.3x0.01 = 1x0.3x0.02

#10 mynameisearl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 07:27 PM

if you can give the full question maybe someone can help?

#11 thegift_guitar

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

I did that question recently. All i did was look at the diagram there, and there were bubbles cumin out, and if u look at the equation the only gas that could be formed is hydrogen. Thats all there is to it really. Plus its only 1 mark.

#12 someone11

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(thegift_guitar @ May 26 2006, 05:12 PM) View Post

I did that question recently. All i did was look at the diagram there, and there were bubbles cumin out, and if u look at the equation the only gas that could be formed is hydrogen. Thats all there is to it really. Plus its only 1 mark.

There is no diagram. huh.gif sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users