Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Disaster! - HSN forum - Page 3

Disaster!

50 replies to this topic

#41 supernova

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 12:08 PM

Just to say, you didn't need to copy the letterhead from word, as they're should have been a seperate graphics file called "header"!!

QUOTE(Dave @ May 25 2006, 10:42 PM) View Post

the sum function thing over worksheets i thought that was pretty standard and to print out 2 columns isnt it possible to hide the ones you dont need

The fact is people DID hide the columns we didn't need, but for some reason they printed out on two seperate pieces of paper! I thought it was the schools printer, didn't think it would happen to other schools too!

I think the practical exam can be quite unfair aswell, cos there can be computer errors which effect performance aswell!!

Our school computers for some reason were being quite slow, and no one's mail merge worked!! And that is something we all knew pretty well!

#42 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 26 2006, 12:38 AM) View Post
Yeah to be honest with you I think Admin should do like computing and just have coursework tasks for the computer really and then just the written exam on the day because things like what happened to me - unusual problems can ruin everything on the day and cause you to fail even though you could do great with the practical all through the year.
Yeah, I much prefered the way computing and information systems were run when I studied them last year. Standard grade admin involved practical coursework, I assumed that higher would be the same. I much prefer coursework for computing related subjects, there's just too much that can go wrong on the day if you don't have your wits about you. I really don't believe the SQA tested that exam thoroughly enough to find out possible errors that might occur with it.

QUOTE(supernova @ May 26 2006, 01:08 PM) View Post
...but for some reason they printed out on two seperate pieces of paper! I thought it was the schools printer, didn't think it would happen to other schools too!
I haven't yet heard of anybody who got that question. I'm beginning to think that it wasn't even possible to print two columns, in which case the SQA should deduct the marks for that question out of the total paper marks. The question was probably worth quite a few marks aswell because it involved both a value and a formulae view printout.

I think the practical exam can be quite unfair aswell, cos there can be computer errors which effect performance aswell!!
There are really far too many problems that can occur with computers. Although I'm passionate about computers, I strongly disagree with using them in timed examinations.

Our school computers for some reason were being quite slow, and no one's mail merge worked!! And that is something we all knew pretty well!
I didn't actually attempt the mail merge question, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a problem with that aswell.

#43 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:47 PM

course if your school was using macs and not dells ..... tongue.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#44 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:54 PM

Please, let's not start another debate about that again! laugh.gif

I'm sure even macs aren't perfect when it comes to reliability. Anyway, most of the problems that my school had were with the printer, and we all know that there is no such miracle as a reliable printer.

#45 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Joel @ May 26 2006, 03:54 PM) View Post

Please, let's not start another debate about that again! laugh.gif

I'm sure even macs aren't perfect when it comes to reliability.

i can't stand macs, but i would still rate them above dells tongue.gif

#46 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ May 26 2006, 03:56 PM) View Post
i can't stand macs, but i would still rate them above dells tongue.gif
Anything is better than a Dell. It wouldn't surprise me if their components were made out of potato chips! smile.gif

#47 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Joel @ May 26 2006, 04:01 PM) View Post

Anything is better than a Dell. It wouldn't surprise me if their components were made out of potato chips! tongue.gif

anything but an Advent...they're crap...my mums got one...dunno how many times she's had to restore it to factory settings rolleyes.gif

and yes, dell have potato fields adjacent to their main manufacturing plant tongue.gif

jus kiddin btw biggrin.gif

#48 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

sad.gif an i was hoping to surprise you with my next post. though i dont know about chips there is a lot of eastern bargian basement stuff put in there

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#49 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:30 PM

what does everyone think they have gotten for the IT paper?

with my stupid mistake i can count on losing 5-10 marks for i think i got about 10/60.
exact same as i got for the prelim. not very positive i know and i am desperately relying for my KU to bring me up and hopefully i get a C or even shock horror a B!

#50 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:20 PM

I think 10/60 is a realistic grade for me. That's what I'd expect for the computer. For the writing I don't know. I'd hope around 40/60.

#51 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:35 PM

I'm thinking about 80/120 for both papers, but i'm not really sure. Hopefully my school will appeal for me if I don't get an A.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users