Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Disaster! - HSN forum

Disaster!

50 replies to this topic

#1 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hope you all did well today. For me it was a total mess mad.gif the writing exam was fine. No bother. Then when it came to the computer paper my computer totally messed up and I eventually had to tell them and I got given a little extra time afterwards to try and redo the bits I missed. I was in such a panic though that I don't think I even printed everything and bits are probably still wrong. Grr! The computer stuff is usually what is easiest for me too.

#2 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 24 2006, 01:22 PM) View Post
Hope you all did well today. For me it was a total mess mad.gif the writing exam was fine. No bother. Then when it came to the computer paper my computer totally messed up and I eventually had to tell them and I got given a little extra time afterwards to try and redo the bits I missed. I was in such a panic though that I don't think I even printed everything and bits are probably still wrong. Grr! The computer stuff is usually what is easiest for me too.
The computing paper was evil. It covered work that wasn't even taught to my class (eg. Nested IF Statements). I also got the feeling that some of the questions were written just to try and trip candidates up. A lot of them were pretty ambiguous...

I'm annoyed at the SQA right now. mad.gif

#3 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

i am sure nested IF statements are in the course

infact its in the In2 course and this material is assumed for higher so its your teachers fault and not the SQA i would say

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#4 sachy

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

I found the exam paper not bad.It was much easier than the prelim i done. Hopefuly get an A or B smile.gif

Higher English, Advanced Accounting, Advanced Physics, Higher Business Man, Advanced Maths, Higher Administration

#5 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 24 2006, 01:58 PM) View Post
i am sure nested IF statements are in the course

infact its in the In2 course and this material is assumed for higher so its your teachers fault and not the SQA i would say
I agree, my teacher is to blame for that, although I'm not going to resent her for it because she fell ill halfway through term. The replacement teacher hadn't taught higher admin for a couple of years and didn't know the practical content of the new course.

#6 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

We did nested loops a couple of times in class.. but today mines was giving really odd answers. You know it was 5%, 10%, 15%.. well my 10% one was definitely not 10% of the price there I could clearly see that. I just left it anyway.

#7 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 24 2006, 02:28 PM) View Post
We did nested loops a couple of times in class.. but today mines was giving really odd answers. You know it was 5%, 10%, 15%.. well my 10% one was definitely not 10% of the price there I could clearly see that. I just left it anyway.
Mmm. Did you notice the unusual formatting in some of the files? In the excel file all of the text in a certain row and column turned blue for no apparant reason, and the letterhead stored in word refused to copy for me at first.

#8 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:59 PM

well for me paper 1 i thought was okay, hopefully ive passed that.

Paper 2 was disastrous! I managed my report, labels and v-lookup, thats all!

The if thing i skipped out coz i had no time and went on to the memo at which point i had no graph so had to make a rubbish one up.

Also for the second part of the database when it said calculate the no of packages and total cost i ended up using my calculator, yes CALCULATOR! I made up a new table and just put it in there, i will probably get no marks for it!

Oh well its done and at least i attemped most things!

And thanks btw Joel for the help on Lookups! V-lookup came up and i just managed it!

What does everyone think, pass marks going down?

Hope everyone elses went better than mine!

#9 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(Joel @ May 24 2006, 02:37 PM) View Post

Mmm. Did you notice the unusual formatting in some of the files? In the excel file all of the text in a certain row and column turned blue for no apparant reason.

Yes I noticed that! I was confused and just changed it to black like all the other ones lol. Our printer prints in black & white anyway so it wouldn't make a difference really.

#10 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(celticfcz @ May 24 2006, 03:59 PM) View Post
well for me paper 1 i thought was okay, hopefully ive passed that.
Yeah, paper 1 went surprisingly well for me. What questions did you answer for the optional section? I did 2 and 3.

The if thing i skipped out coz i had no time and went on to the memo at which point i had no graph so had to make a rubbish one up.
I finished my graph in the last 5 minutes of the exam, I think it turned out pretty well.

Also for the second part of the database when it said calculate the no of packages and total cost i ended up using my calculator, yes CALCULATOR! I made up a new table and just put it in there, i will probably get no marks for it!
You should get marks as long as you got the correct answers.

And thanks btw Joel for the help on Lookups! V-lookup came up and i just managed it!
Hehe, no problem. I had a feeling they would come up in the exam. Glad I could help.

What does everyone think, pass marks going down?
Yeah, I'm still pretty confident the pass marks will be lowered.

#11 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

I did questions 1 and 3 in section 2 of the written paper. I just hope I got at least 30 marks out of 60 on the writing and 30 out of 60 for what I did on the computer to manage a pass at 'C'. Obviously it would be great if it was higher but that's just unrealistic thinking lol.

#12 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 24 2006, 04:24 PM) View Post
I did questions 1 and 3 in section 2 of the written paper. I just hope I got at least 30 marks out of 60 on the writing and 30 out of 60 for what I did on the computer to manage a pass at 'C'. Obviously it would be great if it was higher but that's just unrealistic thinking lol.
60 marks might just be enough for a B this year, you would only have been 6 marks away from a B last year.

#13 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:35 PM

for paper one i did questions 1 and 3.

Thanks for letting me know i may get some marks for my calculations, my friend just sat whispering in my ear that i was wasting time doing it, i tried to ignore her!

I think realistically i got 20/30 for the IT and 35-40/60 for KU.
I would be getting about the same as you karen, but you never know how everyone else in Scotland did, if we were finding it hard they most likely were too, you never know, it may be about 55% for a B(heres hoping!)

QUOTE(Joel @ May 24 2006, 04:32 PM) View Post

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 24 2006, 04:24 PM) View Post
60 marks might just be enough for a B this year, you would only have been 6 marks away from a B last year.

thats is low!

#14 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

I hope so! I heard some girls in my class at the end of the computer exam panicing as they had handed in their work and only just realised they did forms instead of a report? blink.gif

#15 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 24 2006, 04:36 PM) View Post
I hope so! I heard some girls in my class at the end of the computer exam panicing as they had handed in their work and only just realised they did forms instead of a report? blink.gif
That's strange, the question explicitly stated "create and print a database report".

#16 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

Yeah I thought it was odd.. even more odd that about 4/5 of them all made the same mistake. Hmm! rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah, by the way, you know how the query we made and used for the report.. we weren't supposed to print it or anything right? Usually in practises our teacher said print everything.. including that chart on it's own too. I just put it into the memo and printed that. I think I may have missed two print outs though sad.gif cause I realised when I was about to hand it in and had run out of time/logged out the computer that I had only 2 spreadsheet print outs of that summary spreadsheet. One with values, one with formulas and I had a feeling we were to print values/formulas of another sheet in the spreadsheet. I just had labels, two spreadsheet printouts and the memo. The panicing of starting from scratch seriously messed me up I felt like crying right there and giving up. I think my teacher felt for me because I'm usually very good at computer stuff in the class too and now I'll probably have a terrible mark.

#17 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 24 2006, 04:50 PM) View Post
Yeah I thought it was odd.. even more odd that about 4/5 of them all made the same mistake. Hmm! rolleyes.gif
Sounds like my admin class. Even in exams they still seem to copy each other. The problem is, most of the time their answers are completely wrong... rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 24 2006, 04:50 PM) View Post
I think my teacher felt for me because I'm usually very good at computer stuff in the class too and now I'll probably have a terrible mark.
What did you get for the prelim? Perhaps you can appeal.

#18 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

I got an A for the computer part in the prelim and a C with the writing which I think averaged out to a B. Do you have to go into the school once you have left and request an appeal or do they automatically do it for those who fail and did well in the prelim? It would be easier if I was 5th year going back for 6th year but I won't be back in the school again after my computing exam since I'm 6th year.

#19 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 24 2006, 05:02 PM) View Post
I got an A for the computer part in the prelim and a C with the writing which I think averaged out to a B. Do you have to go into the school once you have left and request an appeal or do they automatically do it for those who fail and did well in the prelim?
I think they should do it automatically, but it's worth phoning your school anyway just to make sure.

#20 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(Joel @ May 24 2006, 04:45 PM) View Post

QUOTE(xkarenx @ May 24 2006, 04:36 PM) View Post
That's strange, the question explicitly stated "create and print a database report".

thanks for reminding me, i didnt print out values! blink.gif
oh well! hoping for 50%!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users