Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
The Exam - HSN forum - Page 2

The Exam

28 replies to this topic

#21 BouncyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(friendlyneutron @ May 23 2006, 09:13 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Peachy @ May 23 2006, 08:25 PM) View Post

yeah i put C, i thought it was only T and R, but thats not an option! so i put C

I thought that was a rather sneaky question - I put R only because S isn't integral, it's peripheral, so it couldn't be one with S in it.

but, R is an intrinsic protein, so by ur theory (which im not dissing at all), R wouldnt count either.

#22 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:54 AM

I just said all the proteins apart from the one that wsn't touching the membrane (or looked like it wasn;t anyway tongue.gif)

btw, for that q 4 in the MC (nucleotide, 5 prime, 3 prime etc), did anyone put down B (3 prime and thymine)?

#23 friendlyneutron

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(BouncyB @ May 23 2006, 10:11 PM) View Post

QUOTE(friendlyneutron @ May 23 2006, 09:13 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Peachy @ May 23 2006, 08:25 PM) View Post

yeah i put C, i thought it was only T and R, but thats not an option! so i put C

I thought that was a rather sneaky question - I put R only because S isn't integral, it's peripheral, so it couldn't be one with S in it.

but, R is an intrinsic protein, so by ur theory (which im not dissing at all), R wouldnt count either.

Aren't intrinsic and integral the same? In the learning outcomes under types of membrane proteins it says "integral (intrinsic) and peripheral (extrinsic) proteins", so I assumed it they meant the same thing. Mind you, as my H French teacher would say, "assume makes an ass out of you and me" rolleyes.gif lol.

Question 4 was A - 3' and guanine. It's guanine because it has a double-ring structure, indicating a purine (which of course guanine is). I thought that was a bit tricky - I wasn't sure if it was 5' or 3', but I asked my teacher after the exam and he agreed that it was 3' (even he had to think a bit as to what the answer was, and he's hardly crap at biology lol).

#24 BouncyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:18 PM

yeah, there were so many tricky questions. We didnt learn the structure of the bases, so i had to take a guess. I chose Aor B, i cant remember.

So, u think the pass marks will be as low as last year?

#25 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(friendlyneutron @ May 23 2006, 07:55 PM) View Post

I thought the exam was pretty fair - and detritivores are saprotrophic (feed on decaying organic matter), not heterotrophic.

I googled it and all the links on Google unanimously think that detritivores are heterotrophs and that decomposers are saprotrophs?!??

#26 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(HatingHighers @ May 24 2006, 02:45 PM) View Post

I thought the exam was pretty fair - and detritivores are saprotrophic (feed on decaying organic matter), not heterotrophic.

I googled it and all the links on Google unanimously think that detritivores are heterotrophs and that decomposers are saprotrophs?!??

that sounds right, cos detritivores can be insects right?

#27 friendlyneutron

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:55 PM

Um, breathe? I guess I must have been wrong then! Only one mark I suppose.

#28 HatingHighers

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:56 PM

Oh and I googled an explanation for question 4 in the multi-choice and it came up with this:

http://www.cat.cc.md.us/biotutorials/dna/dna.html
http://www.cat.cc.md.us/biotutorials/dna/fg2.html

Which would suggest that the answer's C: Guanine at the 5' end.

Apparently the 3' end has a hydroxyl group attached to the 3' carbon atom.

QUOTE(friendlyneutron @ May 24 2006, 02:55 PM) View Post

Um, breathe? I guess I must have been wrong then! Only one mark I suppose.

Yeah lol post-exam paranoia gets to me. Especially after an exam as sh*tty as that!

#29 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:24 PM

do you guys think this exam was harder than the 2005 then?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users