How was Higher Biology

35 replies to this topic

Poll: How hard in comparison to other years? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Very Hard

1. Hard (4 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

2. OK (14 votes [56.00%])

Percentage of vote: 56.00%

3. Same (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

4. Easier (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

5. Much Easier (2 votes [8.00%])

What grade do you think you got?

1. A (13 votes [52.00%])

Percentage of vote: 52.00%

2. B (9 votes [36.00%])

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

3. C (2 votes [8.00%])

4. D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Fail (1 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 adf

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:05 PM

I thought it was OK, My MC answers are...

C
D
C
B
A
A
A
D
D
C
A
D
D
C
D
A
B
C
C
A
D
B
D
C
C
A
B
B
D
A

#2 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:08 PM

i thought it was easier but i'm not gonna get my hopes up and say that i think i got a B.

anyone got the paper and willing to send it? pm me please smile.gif

#3 Weejp101

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:14 PM

yeah I think that went pretty well, was writing right up until half 3 but I'm glad I got it all done. I just went overboard with the essays i guess, hoping for an A biggrin.gif

#4 Jonny-Sensei

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Music, Skateboards, Guitar/Bass, Ice Hockey, Drinking, Darts, Poker, Pool and of course SLEEPING!!!<br /><br />Currently about to take a gap year before reapplying for Medicine. Hoping to study at Aberdeen University :D

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

It was quite a fair paper IMO. The MC seemed quite easy this year and the written section wasn't too bad either (but certainly had its moments of difficulty, eg. the lactose/glucose experiment).

The essays seemed quite difficult in comparison to the past papers, but luckily I had revised the transpiration stream and did a similar essay to the negative feedback one in the morning. smile.gif I wrote both essays for question 1.

I don't see why I can't get an A. biggrin.gif

My answers for MC are as follows:
1. C
2. D
3. C
4. B
5. A
6. C
7. A
8. D
9. D
10. C
11. A
12. D
13. D
14. C
15. D
16. A
17. B
18. C
19. C
20. A
21. D
22. B
23. A
24. B
25. C
26. A
27. B
28. B
29. D
30. C
Roll on ze gap year !!

#5 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

ohmy.gif how do you guys remember what you put unsure.gif

#6 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

I know, it's surely not possible to remember them.

Although I do know I got the same as you lot for the first 3 questions. Which is good.

It wasn't too bad. I managed to finish it and managed to check I'd done all of the questions but didn't manage to actually check it. Anyone else think it was a lot longer than the past papers? Some people from my school didn't finish.
And any one think that a lot of the questions weren't so much about biology but "OMG look!, I can do exam questions".

#7 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

ohmy.gif did you not do human blodge, ice?

#8 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:08 PM

Nope, I'm sure I did normal blodge. At least I'm pretty sure I did questions on plants and the multiple choice did have my name on it.

#9 **Bernadette**

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I am currently in sixth year and I am doing higher music and advanced highers in maths chemistry and biology.<br />In fourth year I got six 1s in english, chemistry, biology, music, administration and modern studies. I also got 2 As in the int 2s I sat in french and maths. Last year I got five A's!! Woohoo!! I also sit piano exams so I have passed up to grade 6 practical and grade 5 theory so far. I would like to go on and study medicine.<br /><br />I like playing the piano, playing drums, dancing(tap, ballet, modern, highland, disco...), watching golf, tennis(I am not very good at playing but I love Wimbledon) reading, doing crosswords and loadsa other stuff! I am also trying to teach myself guitar which is funny!! I love music and I am going to see the Fratellis in feb and Razorlight in April!! Can't wait!! Some of my other favourite bands are snow patrol, blur, bloc party, radiohead, the kooks, oasis and of course the Beatles!!!!

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

I though the paper went ok. I thought the essay selection was a bit limited but I was able to answer the questions, although some people were really stuck because there were two from unit three in the second section and they weren't really sure about unit 3. I did the essay on transpiration and the pituitary gland. What did everyone else do?

#10 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(**Bernadette** @ May 23 2006, 05:09 PM) View Post

I though the paper went ok. I thought the essay selection was a bit limited but I was able to answer the questions, although some people were really stuck because there were two from unit three in the second section and they weren't really sure about unit 3. I did the essay on transpiration and the pituitary gland. What did everyone else do?

that's the two essays i did...i couldnt remember very much about the pituatry tho :S

Nope, I'm sure I did normal blodge. At least I'm pretty sure I did questions on plants and the multiple choice did have my name on it.

sorry...i was thinkin of someone else rolleyes.gif

#11 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ May 23 2006, 05:34 PM) View Post

sorry...i was thinkin of someone else rolleyes.gif

If you say so.

I did the one on transpiration and the one on blood sugar and negative feedback. I'm not sure if I should have done the defense one instead of transpiration but I think/hope it turned out ok.

#12 Jonny-Sensei

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Music, Skateboards, Guitar/Bass, Ice Hockey, Drinking, Darts, Poker, Pool and of course SLEEPING!!!<br /><br />Currently about to take a gap year before reapplying for Medicine. Hoping to study at Aberdeen University :D

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE(nathanm @ May 23 2006, 04:31 PM) View Post

I got a sheet for rough working. I wrote all the letters on it since I had some time left as I remember people doing that w/ Physics last year. Of course, I could've memorised them if I wanted to tongue.gif

I did both essays for question one (because I wasn't too sure of my answers for plant defences) and the negative feedback related to blood sugar for question 2.
Roll on ze gap year !!

#13 ph!l

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:44 PM

tbh its pretty easy 2 remember ur mc answers. jst lookin at the questions for me makes me remember the answers. i gt the same as the second guy who posted his anwers. hmm is tht a good sign?

#14 Jonny-Sensei

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE(ph!l @ May 23 2006, 05:44 PM) View Post

i gt the same as the second guy who posted his anwers. hmm is tht a good sign?

Lets hope so!!! thumbsup.gif
Roll on ze gap year !!

#15 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

But we don't get the questions out with us. Or no one at my school had the chance to.

#16 adf

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(Jonny-Sensei @ May 23 2006, 05:41 PM) View Post

QUOTE(nathanm @ May 23 2006, 04:31 PM) View Post

I got a sheet for rough working. I wrote all the letters on it since I had some time left as I remember people doing that w/ Physics last year. Of course, I could've memorised them if I wanted to tongue.gif

I did both essays for question one (because I wasn't too sure of my answers for plant defences) and the negative feedback related to blood sugar for question 2.

I did the same as well by using the rough working paper to write them down! I know that "Jonny-Sensei" got 30 right and I was wrong with C as I had done that exact question in the 2002 Winter paper and got it wrong there as well. question 14 was also in the 2002 Winter paper with exactly the same names of people - (Anne, John and George) and it was the same answer (I hope) - C.

#17 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:52 AM

Hey people. All in all the biology exam had a couple of challenging questions, definatly going to seperate the A band 1 students out (especially because i couldn't remember apical dominance!!! blink.gif )
Hopefully you will all do great and best of luck!!!
In the multipple choice my answers seem very similar to the second post of answers as i also got a lot of C answers.
Just to check...Glycolysis takes place in the cytoplasm???

#18 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:54 AM

yes, glycolysis does take place in the cytoplasm

#19 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts