Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Life, The Universe and Everything - HSN forum - Page 4

Life, The Universe and Everything

126 replies to this topic

#61 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:54 PM

i enjoy debates about religion, if you ever want to have 1 let me know. what i dont enjoy is prats like steve mocking religion (dont try and say it was a sensible debate). if you have any questions for me on an intelectual level, let me know but dont defend stupid jibes. swearings not big or clever, but neither is steve and yet i still put up with him.

#62 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:57 PM

well actually george and steve are amazingly intelligent. Its fact very much like science infact

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#63 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 24 2006, 10:57 PM) View Post

well actually george and steve are amazingly intelligent. Its fact very much like science infact

oh thats a very clever reply,avoid the real debate. take your head out of their respective arses and get back to why your trying to defend their rediculously childish, unfair remarks

#64 dondon

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:17 PM

(Back on Topic smile.gif )

I'm probably agnostic, I don't think theres enough proof for there to be a God but I don't believe that everything could happen just out of nothing.

I also think that when you're dead you're dead, your brain just switches off and nobody can really prove any possibilty of any kind of afterlife or reincarnation.

And to the argument that you might aswell just follow a religion so its no waste either way, how do you know if the religion you've chosen is the right one? Surely you'd have to go round all the religions finding the right god/gods?

(I quite like the matrix theory, but who made the people that made the robots?)

#65 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:22 PM

religion would be pointless if there was proof that God existed, thats the whole point of having faith. and I'll give you a hint, its not mormanism

#66 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE(dondon @ May 24 2006, 11:17 PM) View Post
And to the argument that you might aswell just follow a religion so its no waste either way, how do you know if the religion you've chosen is the right one? Surely you'd have to go round all the religions finding the right god/gods?
Another flaw in this argument is that the whole point in a religion is fatih. Surely if there is a God he wouldn't be impressed by someone who crosses their fingers behind their back and tries to please everybody?

HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#67 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

but the assumption being made is that having faith in something is a good thing. Is it though?

#68 Daron Malakian

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:32 PM

it is quite clear that no-one here talks objetively making this debate into religous propaganda for some and anti religous propaganda for others

#69 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 24 2006, 11:27 PM) View Post

but the assumption being made is that having faith in something is a good thing. Is it though?

well, i have faith that i'll wake up in the morning. i have faith that i'll get 5 As. i have faith that celtic will win the league. i have faith that when i die i'll go to heaven. i have faith that when im your age, i wont spend my nights on the hsn forum arguing with 16year olds.
i would consider all of the above to be good. if i thought otherwise then what would be the point in anything i do?

#70 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:33 PM

I suppose you're right, I suppose God could punish all who believe in him and exalt all who do not. But in our everyday world, having faith is not a good thing, nor is it a bad thing, it's just a thing. I think that people failing to realise the importance of faith to the contribution of society. Yes, it's important to a person's life, but I don't think it's as important a societal issue to start a war over.

QUOTE(paddyb67)
i have faith that celtic will win the league.
This man is obviously crazy, ignore him.tongue.gif

#71 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:35 PM

no i wouldnt say that. It appears to me to be exactly the opinions of society as a whole. More people who dont go to church than do and more people with no interest or want to have anything to do with church with the people who do go are generally more likily to be very serious and truelly believe the lessons in leading a religous lifestyle

#72 Daron Malakian

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

people just have faith because they are scared that when they die they will rot in the ground like all other animals. they want to believe that there is a force so that they can have eternal life. dont they realise that they just want to "live forever"? when put like that one realises how stupid faith is.

HOPE IS IMPORTANT!

#73 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 24 2006, 11:35 PM) View Post

no i wouldnt say that. It appears to me to be exactly the opinions of society as a whole. More people who dont go to church than do and more people with no interest or want to have anything to do with church with the people who do go are generally more likily to be very serious and truelly believe the lessons in leading a religous lifestyle
So do you believe that religion/religious people have a negative effect on society?

#74 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(paddyb67 @ May 24 2006, 11:32 PM) View Post

well, i have faith that i'll wake up in the morning. i have faith that i'll get 5 As. i have faith that celtic will win the league. i have faith that when i die i'll go to heaven. i have faith that when im your age, i wont spend my nights on the hsn forum arguing with 16year olds.
i would consider all of the above to be good. if i thought otherwise then what would be the point in anything i do?

well actually i think you will find people my age make up the vast majority of the major posters on this site and if u have a problem with me or people like me then, since over 5% of the posts are mine, you should leave and never return(please)

#75 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 24 2006, 11:38 PM) View Post
QUOTE(paddyb67 @ May 24 2006, 11:32 PM) View Post

well actually i think you will find people my age make up the vast majority of the major posters on this site and if u have a problem with me or people like me then, since over 5% of the posts are mine, you should leave and never return(please)

Hear, hear!

#76 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 24 2006, 11:38 PM) View Post

there we go again , sidestepping the real debate. i think you should be very proud that you have spent a fair proportion of your life on a website, i really do. i was merely using this fact to illustrate a point in an intelectual debate which is clearly way of your head

#77 Daron Malakian

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

Dave i wish i could be like you. i have a mere 0.02% of total posts and you really are my idol.

#78 Dave

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:55 PM

over my head! you know people say i am arrogant but that really takes the biscuit you have no idea about my abilities but trust me you dont want to test me

#79 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

Oh great, yet another debate that's been reduced to ad hominem mellow.gif

*gives up all hope of a mature debate*

#80 paddyb67

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 24 2006, 11:55 PM) View Post

over my head! you know people say i am arrogant but that really takes the biscuit you have no idea about my abilities but trust me you dont want to test me

ok well i know youv got the special ability of being able to spend a rediculous amount of time on this website, or is it because youve got nothing else to do?i reckon you cling to the world of hsn forum because its the only place youv got any kind of 'respect', all be it from people you dont even know. what u really need is to get some actual friends, which i suppose must be difficult as from your photo i can see youve got a face only a mother could love.

test you? what is that some kind of threat? challenge? from your above arguements i can tell that youve not got much in your intelectual locker, so do us all a favour, bugger off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users