Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Life, The Universe and Everything - HSN forum - Page 2

Life, The Universe and Everything

126 replies to this topic

#21 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:jus tha usual... singin, dancin, shoppin, chillaxin ;) and spendin my wonderful daddy's wonderful money :D

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:20 PM

Muslim here tongue.gif

and a part of the Quran says 4 some ppl there is a wall in front, a wall behind and a wall on either side of a person and nothin u say can make them believe... some ppl's hearts are just sealed and personally, i think ppl tht dnt believe in God are just weak and cant face puttin trust in wat they cnt c......

bring it on biggrin.gif

ooh and another thing.. as for the Science and Religion thing...

how can u learn about the how efficiently the human body works, millions of cells we can barely see all serving such important purposes without believing in God?!?!?! that Just happen by accident? dnt think so!

#22 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:50 PM

Well, Charles Darwin's theory of evolution explains all....wink.gif

#23 Dr-F

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ May 24 2006, 12:50 AM) View Post

Oh aye...that's how we do it up in here!

I was raised Muslim too, but a couple of years ago I pretty much lost my faith. If God, should he exist, be all-powerful, why would he feel the need to have us insignificant human beings worship him?

IMO, religion was originally concieved by mankind through the collective inability to come to terms with our (inevitable) demise. Somewhere along the way, it became a tool for propaganda of all sorts.

#24 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:09 AM

Being rased with no religion in my family I have never really been in contact with any form of religon.

I don't really believe in a god in the way that orgnised religon portrays and preaches him to be but I **do** believe in a higher power.
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#25 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:jus tha usual... singin, dancin, shoppin, chillaxin ;) and spendin my wonderful daddy's wonderful money :D

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(Dr-F @ May 24 2006, 02:55 AM) View Post

I was raised Muslim too, but a couple of years ago I pretty much lost my faith. If God, should he exist, be all-powerful, why would he feel the need to have us insignificant human beings worship him?

IMO, religion was originally concieved by mankind through the collective inability to come to terms with our (inevitable) demise. Somewhere along the way, it became a tool for propaganda of all sorts.

Wow, u believe his 'Theory'.. Hmm.. So, there was a big bang in the world and thats how blood flows around my body as it does. Lol - again, dnt think so! Il say no more 4 ur science theory... a sealed heart is a sealed heart..

and as 4 u Dr F tongue.gif ur the 1st muslim ive ever come across that duznt love bein a muslim! and thtz bullsh*t. u dnt pray because God needs us too.. u pray to thank Him for everythin He's given u, to show ur respect, to appreciate Him. have u read the Quran? i mean properly with meaning? u lost faith.. so God put u thru a test, u cudnt handle it and so now dont believe in His existence? I see.

Put it this way ... u live ur life, not respectin religion, not givin a f*ck bout God or anything and just act like it duznt exist coz - lets face it - ur too scared to think otherwise (as most of u lot seem 2 b doin..) and then ur death comes.. im guessin most of u dnt believe in after life? but say all this stuff religious ppl went on n on about comes TRUE - u get judged and get sent to heaven or hell - how fucked will u be then!!! whereas, if u do live ur life following a religion and the way God wants u too.. and u die.. and theres no after life n all this was bullsh*t, wat difference does it make coz ur DEAD neway?!

Ya getz me?

#26 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:45 AM

yes but eyecandy no-one is saying once upon a time there was a loud bang and then there was smart arse teens roaming the earth with ipods in one hand and a burger king in the other. The time it has taken to get intelligent beings in this earth is mind blowing and stems from evolution more than likily from a single cell on one rock that fused with the rest of the earth after the big bang

i find it hard to believe that there is someone out there, like some creator as modern day man can look out into the universe and what we see is well....nothing really. The only way there could be a creator in my opinion is if this entire universe if some sort of lab experiment from a race of people which is much more intelligent than we can imagine and also physically massive since i would this universe would be residing in some sort of petry dish or something

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#27 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE(eyecandy @ May 24 2006, 12:31 PM) View Post

Well, Charles Darwin's theory of evolution explains all.... wink.gif

Wow, u believe his 'Theory'.. Hmm.. So, there was a big bang in the world and thats how blood flows around my body as it does. Lol - again, dnt think so! Il say no more 4 ur science theory... a sealed heart is a sealed heart..

and as 4 u Dr F tongue.gif ur the 1st muslim ive ever come across that duznt love bein a muslim! and thtz bullsh*t. u dnt pray because God needs us too.. u pray to thank Him for everythin He's given u, to show ur respect, to appreciate Him. have u read the Quran? i mean properly with meaning? u lost faith.. so God put u thru a test, u cudnt handle it and so now dont believe in His existence? I see.

Put it this way ... u live ur life, not respectin religion, not givin a f*ck bout God or anything and just act like it duznt exist coz - lets face it - ur too scared to think otherwise (as most of u lot seem 2 b doin..) and then ur death comes.. im guessin most of u dnt believe in after life? but say all this stuff religious ppl went on n on about comes TRUE - u get judged and get sent to heaven or hell - how fucked will u be then!!! whereas, if u do live ur life following a religion and the way God wants u too.. and u die.. and theres no after life n all this was bullsh*t, wat difference does it make coz ur DEAD neway?!

Ya getz me?

Um...no I don't get you. The big bang happened, amino acids combine on the young Earth to form proteins, which makes cells...cells divides and multiply....eventually they become simple lifeforms, which has been proven to exist. These simple lifeforms evolved into simple creatures, which evolved into more complex creatures. The reason our blood vessels are sealed...well, it's an evolutionary trait...if they weren't sealed in the first place, we'd die, simple as. Survival of the fittest.

And yet, despite the overwhelming evidence, you still belive that...somehow, a "God" made us. So, some higher being went *poof* and made all of us. I don't think so. You're just blinded by faith, so there's really no point bothering to try and contradict, since it just comes in one ear and out the other.

As for an afterlife, the notion of an afterlife is absurd. The very notion of it was just created by weak-minded people who were too scared of the inevitability of death, so they just make up an "afterlife" to comfort themselves. Personally, I'm not scared of death, and I accept the inevitability that when you're dead, you're dead, simple as that.

And finally, Hell and Heaven was also invented by weak-minded people to gain some control over the masses and make themselves superior to them. It's simply a method of control conjured up by the leaders to make sure people behave themselves. Some people have wised up to it though, like myself.

Righto, that was a bit long-winded, but I wanted to express my view. If you take offense at anything I said, I couldn't give a sh*t because it's my opinion. If you have a problem, I don't care, so don't bother flaming me. smile.gif

#28 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:53 AM

Wow, u believe his 'Theory'.. Hmm.. So, there was a big bang in the world and thats how blood flows around my body as it does

some people obviously havent seen the guiness advert tongue.gif

#29 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

what i never got was if god created the earth in 7 days. and on the 6th he created man.

and it is proven that there were no men about the same time as dinosaurs.

where do the dinosaurs fit in?

#30 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:49 PM

well u see when religion and bibles were invented people didnt know about dinosaurs and besides they were only interested in controlling people and providing a basic form of law and order

Just the view of a man without faith of course wink.gif

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#31 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:10 PM

i aint flamin no1 so u can all chill!

"And finally, Hell and Heaven was also invented by weak-minded people to gain some control over the masses and make themselves superior to them"

and wat ppl wud tht be? i certainly dont worship a person.

rite ok, we can't see God but tht duznt mean he duznt exist!
i cant see any of u's, therefore u dnt exist, there.
and if ur guna say u have evidence of ur existence i cudnt care less, ur still all non existent to me.
everythin in this planet is God's creation - proving he exists - thtz evidence enuf i think.

u lot r missin the point, completely. but yeah, if ur happy with life avoidin God and tht fulfills u then theres nothin i can say.. but u know there isnt, theres a void tht only love for God can fill n its missin in u's..

i just hope Allah puts faith in ur hearts and opens ur eyes to what is really around u.

#32 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

Many scientists do believe, due to the incredible unprobability that we should even be here, that there was some kind of divine intervention in it all. I, myself, cannot follow something blindly, and need evidence to prove it all, thus science is my 'following'.

But there are indeed facts and proof for FSM. <3

Edit: In response to eyecandy, I don't feel that the world is proof of there being "God". Deities are simply faith, and hope. They're not physical things that 'exist'. They're simply emotions, such as love and hope etc. In ancient times, religion was there so that even in the darkest of times, people had something to pray to, to feel that maybe not all is lost. And to me, religion is still that. I feel all these debates of whether deities are real or not are all moot point - religion isn't about whether there really is something up there, it's about having that feeling of hope and blind faith, that perhaps, as you've said eyecandy, nothing else can replace.

Either way, that's my two cents.
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#33 coca

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Programming and gaming<br /><br />http://coca-123.bebo.com

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:12 PM

I live by the brain-in-a-vat philosophy. This whole thing could be virtual, so whatever we find is effectively useless.

I don't really, but nevermind tongue.gif
<MrBob> I hate Uni. At least in film studies we get to talk about Fight Club.
<@X-Factor> Wouldnt you be breaking the first 2 rules?

#34 Dr-F

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE(eyecandy @ May 24 2006, 12:31 PM) View Post

and as 4 u Dr F tongue.gif ur the 1st muslim ive ever come across that duznt love bein a muslim! and thtz bullsh*t. u tongue.gif dnt pray because God needs us too.. u pray to thank Him for everythin He's given u, to show ur respect, to appreciate Him. have u read the Quran? i mean properly with meaning? u lost faith.. so God put u thru a test, u cudnt handle it and so now dont believe in His existence? I see.

Ya getz me?

Bear in mind this is my opinion...

Why waste your entire life worhipping a God if he doesn't exist? Islamic worship isn't exactly a walk in the park...prayers 5 times a day, reading of the Quran, etc. According to the vast majority of imams and muslim scholars, doing something as simple as watching t.v. is a sin. I've experienced this kind of propaganda 1st hand. Before you know it, you're dead. Could have done so many better things with your life, instead of being brainwashed, but no. And I'd imagine it does make a difference if their is no afterlife, and people who have devoted their entire lives to religion are ultimately conned. You'd be pretty pissed if you knew that happened to you. And if their is an afterlife, you yourself have said "u get judged and sent to heaven or hell". By who? God. And on what would he base his conclusions? The good/bad deeds you have done, and whether you have worshipped or not. So, if I was to live a life pretty much free of sin, BUT I didn't believe in God, I'd be sent to hell. I get your point about thanking God for what He's given, etc, etc, but, in this scenario, I've been an ideal citizen who's been sent to Hell for not believing. This pretty much proves that God needs the worship.. or else He'll throw a big, bad hissy fit and send your ass straight to Hell.

And, IMO, 'let's face it', the reason people believe in religion is because they're "too scared to think otherwise". Can't face being parted from their comfort zone, scared of knowing that they WILL ultimately die and that there is no afterlife, so instead they have to invest belief in something which is the biggest lie mankind has ever created.

So, no, I don't getz u tongue.gif

#35 YIC

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Interests:My interests

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ May 24 2006, 12:49 PM) View Post

Um...no I don't get you. The big bang happened, amino acids combine on the young Earth to form proteins, which makes cells...cells divides and multiply....eventually they become simple lifeforms, which has been proven to exist. These simple lifeforms evolved into simple creatures, which evolved into more complex creatures.

I think you have over simplified this. Cells are extremely complex things.

#36 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:18 PM

Hmm..

i think some ppl make Islam too extreme, it really isn't that hard. readin namaz duznt take thaaat long nor is it tht difficult reading the Quran every now n then..
yeah ok, say u do devote ur life to God and his teachings and then u die n theres nothin - So wat?! ur dead, u wont be pissed off coz u wont be LIVING to feel anythin!!!! or living to understand tht uve been 'conned'!!
No, im no1 to judge who will go 2 Heaven or Hell and i do agree with u, if u live ur life free of sin without worshipping God i dnt see why u shud b sent to Hell on the basis u didnt kneel in front of him 5 times a day. but.. i think it does increase ur chances!! God wants us 2 pray 2 him, so we remember him throughout the day, we remember he's our creator.. seriously tho, i think u shud read the Quran with meaning -if u havnt already- its amazing.
and isn't a lie mankind created, diss it all u want on however many forums u want...... God will come in ur heart eventually, Inshallah.
.... and thtz when ul get me tongue.gif

^^ exactly, we can barely see a cell.. things like tht dnt just Happen...

#37 Dr-F

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(eyecandy @ May 24 2006, 03:18 PM) View Post

Hmm..

i think some ppl make Islam too extreme, it really isn't that hard. readin namaz duznt take thaaat long nor is it tht difficult reading the Quran every now n then..
yeah ok, say u do devote ur life to God and his teachings and then u die n theres nothin - So wat?! ur dead, u wont be pissed off coz u wont be LIVING to feel anythin!!!! or living to understand tht uve been 'conned'!!
No, im no1 to judge who will go 2 Heaven or Hell and i do agree with u, if u live ur life free of sin without worshipping God i dnt see why u shud b sent to Hell on the basis u didnt kneel in front of him 5 times a day. but.. i think it does increase ur chances!! God wants us 2 pray 2 him, so we remember him throughout the day, we remember he's our creator.. seriously tho, i think u shud read the Quran with meaning -if u havnt already- its amazing.
and isn't a lie mankind created, diss it all u want on however many forums u want...... God will come in ur heart eventually, Inshallah.
.... and thtz when ul get me tongue.gif

^^ exactly, we can barely see a cell.. things like tht dnt just Happen...

Fair enough. I'm not dissing anyone else's beliefs, only stating my own, And I still stand by them. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

#38 eyecandy

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:01 PM

Hmm, i dont know if im ready to give up my fite sad.gif!! lol..
ok, if not the full Quran .. look up Surah Yaseen (the heart of the Quran) and read that, please?
u can't not even give it a try... ul be amazed, i promise u! smile.gif xxx

#39 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:29 PM

On the subject of heaven and hell: Let's think about this *universally*. Say, I'm a Christian. A good Christian, I never sin, I thank my God, and go to church every Sunday. When I die, I go to heaven, yes? Well, what if I'm Pagan? I never sin, I thank my Gods and Goddesses, and do whatever worship Pagans do regularly. When I die, I go to heaven, yes? But. To Christians, isn't Pagan faith seen as 'devil worship'? And shouldn't you go to hell for worshipping the devil? Hmm. Either way, for every deity out there, if you don't worship them, you go to Hell. Seems we're all in a bit of a conundrum then.

My opinion: When you die, you die. Your brain stops functioning and that's it. The end. There's no point thinking about it, because you'll be, well, dead at the time. I still stand by "religion is hope, end of story" stance. The thought of an afterlife is, as has already been said, a comfort factor that you will in the end be rewarded for all your hard work - and what better guarantee than one that has never and will never be proven?
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#40 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

We are actually living... in the matrix! ohmy.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users