Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Life, The Universe and Everything - HSN forum

Life, The Universe and Everything

126 replies to this topic

#1 Dr-F

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

This topic is about religion, beliefs and the origins of life. Basically, what are your view on these things? To start it all off, I'm personally an Agnostic, bordering on Athiest. And I believe in the scientific explanation for the reasons for life on Earth (Big Bang, Evolution (which has been proven), etc.).

#2 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:03 PM

Haha, one of these pops up every now and again. I probably largely agree with you Dr. When it turns into a debate, I will add some thoughts.

#3 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:11 PM

What?
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#4 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE(Blondie @ May 22 2006, 08:11 PM) View Post

What?

Damn you!!!!!

anyway, Thiest Agnostic, though i belive in the whole big bang theory and all that kinda stuff

#5 TempName123

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Interests:mm.... to lazy to say

if your really interested you can just ask!

(and the womb bit works in the forums where it says "from" but not here duh just makes me sound.. well... weird!)

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:48 PM

don;t believe in religion. and what has never sat with me about the big bang was tht there was nothing then "something" happened then there was lots of stuff. what the fudge!?

String threom people tongue.gif

#6 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:59 PM

Was there not supposed to be stuff before the big bang but it all collapsed in and then banged and then collapsed and banged and...
Or am I get muddled up with sting theorm? Or is string theorm the one that you can use to show that no one has free will?

I believe in not sharing my beliefs. tongue.gif

#7 dehny

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

Nihilistic Athiest, with a touch of Nietzschism
My profile

1. Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt,
Wenn es stets zu Schutz und Trutze
Brüderlich zusammenhält,
Von der Maas bis an die Memel,
Von der Etsch bis an den Belt -
Deutschland, Deutschland über alles,
Über alles in der Welt.

#8 Dr-F

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ May 22 2006, 10:59 PM) View Post

Was there not supposed to be stuff before the big bang but it all collapsed in and then banged and then collapsed and banged and...
Or am I get muddled up with sting theorm? Or is string theorm the one that you can use to show that no one has free will?

I believe in not sharing my beliefs. tongue.gif

String Theory is a theory which proposes that all matter, instead of being composed of particles, is made up of vibrating 'strings'. This leads on to lots of other connotations, one being that there are 11 dimensions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory for more stuff bout it.

I forgot to write, even though I stated the Big Bang as an example, I too am an advocate of string theory

#9 kyle

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:21 PM

I'm with you (your first post), my views are pretty similar.

#10 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:09 AM

if it involves faith or idolising something then i dont believe in it. I am a man of science for ever and ever and ever

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#11 ermd

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:29 AM

John, any chance of you explaining your agnostic theist viewpoint? I mean, is like "I believe in God but I don't know why and have no reasonable explanation"?

#12 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:03 PM

The general misconception seems to be that faith and science are antithetical. Wrong. Well personally both compliment each other perfectly.

#13 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:13 PM

I'm an atheist, myself....

#14 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:22 PM

Forever a Pastafarian over this end. Arr.
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#15 oddbins

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:I can't be arsed writing anything here. And I hate writing about myself anyway.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

Well, I dont believe in God and I don't follow any religions. I believe the big bang happened - science all the way for me!! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

#16 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ May 23 2006, 03:03 PM) View Post

The general misconception seems to be that faith and science are antithetical. Wrong. Well personally both compliment each other perfectly.

smile.gif

#17 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping &lt;3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:45 PM

I am not very religious, however I do believe in God. I like the idea of someone watching over you and having somewhere to go when you die. If it turns out that there's nothing up there, what harm would it have done me during my life ?? I don't think much damage can be done from occasionally finding comfort in the idea that there is a God. But that is just my personal opinion, so please don't pick holes in it, as I have no fancy explanation as to why I think this way rolleyes.gif
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#18 andymckenzie

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:59 PM

i dont get why ppl think being " a man of science" is an excuse for not believing in God. they obviously misunderstand religion.

#19 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:57 PM

Oh I love these kind of threads biggrin.gif

Well, I'm a catholic, or at least that's what I call myself even though I'm not very good at it and have never really been serious enough about my religion. I have no deep reasons for believing in a God, but I just do. I've been a nihilst, an atheist, hell even a Nietzschist if such a thing exists, but deep down I believe in a God and a catholic is probably what I will be.

As for agnosticism, I have never understood this. Surely it goes without saying that the existence of God cannot be proved. Religion is about faith after all. Douglas Adams had something good to say on it but I cannot find the quotation sad.gif

I came across an interesting book the other day, it's by Scott Adams (the Dilbert guy, but it's not humour). He has a very interesting idea on the nature of the big bang (and the rest of the universe for that matter) that is great for messing with your head. I won't spoil it unless no one can be arsed reading it, but it will only take 1.5-2 hours (around 135 pages of text) and it's definetaly worth it. It can be read here
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#20 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE(andymckenzie @ May 23 2006, 10:59 PM) View Post

i dont get why ppl think being " a man of science" is an excuse for not believing in God. they obviously misunderstand religion.

actually i disagree einstien was religious and obviously a scientist however it lead to his downfall and damaged him mentallly when he tried to finish his theory of everything and disprove a line of thought which he himself started. That line was to do with particles and nuclear physics. Einstein refused to accept that gods earth was based on probabilities of where any one particle is at any one time. It just wasnt something that would have happened by design he thought.

So i dont see how science and religion can work hand in hand. Science is about understand and proving basically its about asking the questions why and how. Religion however relies on faith and in my opinion blind faith in whatever a religious leader tells you to be the truth or the correct moral stance to have. All of that i find to be wrong in my opinion

If i am not here i am somewhere else

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users