Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
crash physics - HSN forum

crash physics

13 replies to this topic

#1 xhurdlergirlx

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

is it possible to crash physics ? can anyone speak from experience?
if so what other sciences had u already done??

#2 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:47 PM

i think its probably do-able if you're reasonably ok at maths. its like any crash higher though, you will find at tough at first - its a new way of thinking - & you need to be willing to put in the work for it
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#3 xhurdlergirlx

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

so is it mainly maths????
if your good at maths and chemistry is it possible?

#4 mujb

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

hi,

i crashed higher physics this year and am hopefully aiming for an A or a B.
i found Higher Phsyics easy because i put the work in although my teacher went on holiday to Egypt two weeks before the exam started.
Previously i had done higher Maths recieved a B, and higher human biology also recieved a B.
Currently doing Chemistry and i feel it is the hardest science of them all.
personally think Physics is easier thean Chemistry and very very rarely used my skilld taught in Higher maths in Higher Physics.

so choose wisely. thumbsup.gif

#5 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(xhurdlergirlx @ May 22 2006, 04:49 PM) View Post

so is it mainly maths????
if your good at maths and chemistry is it possible?

i'd say it's about 60% calculations to 40% theory...but you can manage the course with probably only general maths as long as you are comfortable with re-arranging formulae wink.gif

and as for chemistry, the second half of the third unit is very similar to the nuclear chemistry topic in higher chemistry with just a couple of additions

#6 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:19 PM

I think you can, especially if you've done maths and chemistry. I had one crash person in my class last year and I don't think he was hugely disadvantaged, although turning up more often would have helped.

#7 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

I wouldnt say you have to be anything fantastic about maths. Its not so much doing the calculations but understanding why your doing them and what the implications are. If you are willing to work very hard then go for it but it certainly wont be easy.

#8 xhurdlergirlx

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

well in my prelims i gotta A in chem and an A in maths so do you think il survive??
is the course really boring tho???
If it is then i have that turning up problem to?

#9 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

depends what you consider to be interesting...i found the middle unit really boring but enjoyed the first and last...as for the prelim grades, i'm sure you'll be fine as long as you're willing to put in the work

#10 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:35 PM

the way physics works, is it uses maths from the level below. ie. higher physics, it uses things that you'd have done in standard grade maths (the only thing that springs to mind is the pythagoras & trig stuff you need for vectors) & in advanced higher, you use higher maths. however, if you've done higher maths, vectors is also covered in the higher physics, though in a slightly different way. might help you a bit there though. & the last unit of physics is very similar in places to the last unit of higher chemistry
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#11 Pyrefly

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 11:26 AM

My friend did crash higher this year. She went in to do int 2 and then move onto higher next year but there wasn't enough people for an int 2 class. So she decided to do crash higher.

In the prelim she got a B (only a couple of marks away from an A as well!) She did terrible in maths this year though....(wich is kinda strange as she took all three sciences tongue.gif)

If you are saying you got an A for your prelim for maths i dont think that physics should be too much of a problem. Just make sure you ask if there is anything that you dont understand (there is a few things from standard grade you will have to pick up on)

Personally Physics is my favourite subject. I dont find it borning at all (well...maybe the second unit was a little dull at times...im not a fan of electrical work)

So i would sujest you go for it tongue.gif

#12 x_hermionegranger_x

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Harry Potter, Music, Films, friends etc....

Posted 25 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

I crashed physics this year and i have to say (as geeky as it sounds) i loved it!
In fifth year i got a C in maths and a B in chemistry ( i also did human biology but that didnt really help lol)
It was quite good because unit 1 stuff has alot of maths from standard grade and and having higher helps out alot (vectors that sort of thing) and unit 3 is good cause the last parts are quite easy cause you do all the radiation stuff and decay in chemistry
The only unit i found hard was the electricity (unit 2) due to not understanding the basics in SG but it helps just have a wee read at the standard grade notes (chemcord ones were the best for me) before you start the unit and now i really love op amps lol
I dont know how i did on the exam last week but i managed to get a B in my first prelim and an A in my second ( i was very shocked !!)
i did study a lot though and put a lot of effort in

#13 Moniker42

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:00 AM

(i know it's not higher but...) I crashed intermediate 2 last year, eeeassy ;p

didn't do a single bit of revision outside of class and i'm sure i got an A =)

89% on the prelim for units 1 and 2 and 95% on the follow up prelim for unit 3; been doing higher for a few weeks now and it doesn't seem that different - just the same stuff in more detail...

/edit/ it's like, building on what you've already learned - whereas with subjects like computing... you might as well forget everything you learned the previous year for software, the terminology changes EVERY TIME >.<

#14 oochi_coochi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

I coped fine with crashing higher, & I only ever done intermediate 2 maths.
I got As in Chem & Bio in 5th year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users