Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
2005 - Multiple Choice - Q14 - HSN forum

2005 - Multiple Choice - Q14

3 replies to this topic

#1 mujb

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

(Q) a metal (melting point 328 degrees/c, density 11.3 g cm/3) was obtained by electrolysis of its molten chloride (melting point 501 degrees/c, density 5.84 g cm/3).

During the electroysis, how would the metal occur?

A. as a solid on the surface of the electrolyte

B. as a liquid on the surface of the electroyte

C. as a solid on the bottom of the electrolyte

D. as a liquid at the bottom of the electrolyte

How would you go about answering this question?? huh.gif

#2 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping <3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:41 AM

I'm not too sure about why it's a liquid, but i *think* it's because the metal has a lower melting point than the molten chloride, so when the chloride is molten the metal must also be in liquid form, but maybe not.

It's on the bottom because of the densities, the density of the metal is more than the density of the chloride therefore the metal will be at the bottom.
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#3 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 01:43 PM

The original metal is molten and as the one you obtain is of a lower mp then it will be a liquid. As it is more dense it appears on the bottom. Theres not really a way to go about answering it, just think logically.

#4 mujb

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

thanks, appreciated

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users