Leaving exams early

40 replies to this topic

Poll: Leaving exams (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you allowed to leave early?

1. Yes (52 votes [83.87%])

Percentage of vote: 83.87%

2. No (10 votes [16.13%])

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 03:03 PM

i was jus talking with Allana and she says she isn't allowed to leave the exam room early, even if you've done all you can...but we are allowed to leave...i was just wondering what everyone else was allowed to do

#2 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:34 PM

were only allowed if say 5/6 of everyone has finished and just sitting looking bored. however if its just 1 or 2 people then no, they have to wait untill the end.

ultimately it shouldnt be allowed, as you could go and find out answers and then text your friends them.

#3 Sammie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:Stuff... mainly Fall Out Boy

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:40 PM

Were not alowed to leave in the first half hour or the last half hour.
"Crowds are won and lost and won again, but our hearts beat for the diehards"

#4 *Kiran*

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:40 PM

We are.

But only after 2/3 of the time allocated has passed.

#5 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:43 PM

I think we are allowed to leave whenever. If i leave early because I have finished everything, its usually only about 10minutes before the end of the exam anyway and cause I just cant sit there anymore. However, alot of my exams this year involve a lot of writing so not many people have been leaving really early, like they did at standard grade.
Grrrrrr!!

#6 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE(Sammie @ May 18 2006, 05:40 PM) View Post

Were not alowed to leave in the first half hour or the last half hour.

we are first and last 15 mins...but for listening, and other practicals, we've got to stay for the duration

#7 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:10 PM

We can leave anytime after the first 30 minutes but we aren't allowed to take the paper out unless we stay until the end. That means that a lot of people who could just leave 10 minutes before don't so they can keep the paper.

#8 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(ice_illusion @ May 18 2006, 06:10 PM) View Post

We can leave anytime after the first 30 minutes but we aren't allowed to take the paper out unless we stay until the end. That means that a lot of people who could just leave 10 minutes before don't so they can keep the paper.

yeah, i did that in physics yesterday

#9 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:22 PM

I get why you can't leave in the first half hour, but why not the last half hour? Wouldn't that be when people would start to leave?
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#10 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:24 PM

yeah....i think its considered disturbing as most people finish in the last 30 mins...so if everyone was getting up and walkin out, it would be quite offputtin for anyone still working

#11 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

we weren't allowed to at school. which yeah, meant i spent some time at the end of most exams just staring into space. though once or twice, absolutely everybody doing the exam all finished early, so we got to leave early.

we are allowed to at uni though. not during the first 3rd of the exam (so if its a 1.5 hour exam, not in the first half hour, if its a 2 hour exam, not within the first 40 minutes, etc) or in the last 15 minutes - because most people would be finishing around then, & it'd get to distracting for the people still working if everyone started leaving! its also pretty unlucky if you end up in the exam hallf with another exam of a different length - ie. if you're doing a 1.5 hour exam & another exam in the hall is 3 hours, you have to stay for an hour instead of just half an hour. but thats also really really distracting for the people in the longer exam, cos when the first exam finishes, everyone leaves & its noisy!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#12 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:09 PM

of course you are allowed there is no teachers there so what are they going to do to you. The reason the schools say your not allowed is because its really not very clever to leave early cos once you leave its all over even if 10 mins later you have a flash of inspiration and know the answer to that really really annoying question

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#13 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 07:35 PM

we were never really told at school that it wasn't allowed. it was more just, no-one did it!
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

#14 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(broughy @ May 18 2006, 08:06 PM) View Post

we weren't allowed to at school. which yeah, meant i spent some time at the end of most exams just staring into space. though once or twice, absolutely everybody doing the exam all finished early, so we got to leave early.

we are allowed to at uni though. not during the first 3rd of the exam (so if its a 1.5 hour exam, not in the first half hour, if its a 2 hour exam, not within the first 40 minutes, etc) or in the last 15 minutes - because most people would be finishing around then, & it'd get to distracting for the people still working if everyone started leaving! its also pretty unlucky if you end up in the exam hallf with another exam of a different length - ie. if you're doing a 1.5 hour exam & another exam in the hall is 3 hours, you have to stay for an hour instead of just half an hour. but thats also really really distracting for the people in the longer exam, cos when the first exam finishes, everyone leaves & its noisy!

We always have different lengths of exams in the hall but the half hour rule just applies to the exam we're doing. I've had exams in which we went in at the same time as a different group of people, they finished their first exam, have a break and come back in while we're still doing the same exam.

#15 reemxox

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:17 PM

you know what, who cares wink.gif , i wouldnt wanna leave early anyways coz i dont think you can ever check your paper "enough" times, esp if its sumin like maths ph34r.gif , which is 2moro, oh my god, im shitting myself for that, i need an A ohmy.gif !!!!!! its gonna suck, bigtime! unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
IPB Image

♥~7 days 2go~♥

#16 bred

Brendan

• Moderators
  • 4,215 posts
  • Interests:I have just graduated with a 2:1 in Geography [MA (Hons)] from The University of Edinburgh. I like sports: swimming, cycling, snowboarding, running, football, mountain biking and also travelling and photography.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

We're allowed to leave any time before the final fifteen minutes. Although if you got up to leave in the final fifteen minutes they would probably not stop you and just give you a look or something. Some guy left fifty minutes into my two hour Geography exam recently, which I thought was pretty strange.
Please vote for me! (Brendan Howard, 5th from bottom, only 1 vote required): http://answers.polld...m/poll/2330393/

#17 st-and Paul

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Check facebook, i cant be bothered putting them all down again :P

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:13 PM

We arent allowed to leave in the first half hour or the last half hour. In my French written on wednesday it is 75 minutes long so I get a 15 minute window to leave. It is so that people arent disturbed by people leaving all the time. The guy sitting next to me in my first year Internet Programming paper left after 35 minutes of a two hour paper?!

#18 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:19 PM

I hate it when you are stuck in the hall with people sitting different exams which start and finish at different times so they all leave like 15minutes into your exam and come back in 15 minutes later or something! And at my school, they always put the people who are going to be going in and out at the far end of the hall, away from the door so its even more distracting.
Grrrrrr!!

#19 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:23 PM

Yeah, it was worse for me last year, because I had extra time so when the exam was over for everyone, the hall grew into a deafening capachony of chattering, chairs squeaking on the floor and footsteps. I had my hearing aids switched on, so it was very distracting! I was really pissed off. It was the reason I got a 3 in the writing part in the standard grade english exam...I got writers block after that distraction wiped my memory. Disgraceful!

#20 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:00 PM

They do put the people who are going to leave first nearest the door in my school, so it's not too bad. I've managed to learn to completely ignore people leaving this year, which helps. I remember I got distracted in the 3rd yr exams and the 4th yr prelims though.

People who always get extra time do their exams in a different room. Having an invigilator to yourself must be horrible. It's bad enough if I'm at the front of the hall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users