Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Appealing if ill? - HSN forum

Appealing if ill?

13 replies to this topic

#1 jambo david

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:59 PM

Today I was sick before the exam and then felt a little better so started the paper but 30 mins in i was feeling very sick and had to leave. I've got a doctor's letter but does anyone know if I'll get a good grade? I got an A in my prelim and did very well in all the NABs sad.gif

#2 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

you *should* get at least a B then, but it does depend on how easy your centres prelim was, and if it covered the whole course...if not, then you should have done a supplementrary prelim

#3 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

ouch unsure.gif , i dunno about that because:

Your school gives you prelims and you then go and sit them (duh). then they rank your %'s in order from top to bottm and set predictions, e.g. jambo david is predicted an A and everyone else is expected to fail etc.

However if when the final exams comes and then everyone passes but jambo david, then the SQA scrap the appeals for that subject as the prelim was not ' right' as the predictions are clearly wrong from the final grade.

therefore, if your prelim was a **** paper the SQA might just say no appeals from that school and then i dunno... you're a bit stuck.

however im sure you will be exceptional circumstances if you have a doctors note etc. and if you have done well in ur prelims and nabs etc thats ok ... remember doing well in nabs doesnt really mean anything grade wise... as they are all level C type questions.

all i can say is good luck; its a shame aswell as im sure you would of managed the final exam sad.gif. tell me how you get on when you find out please ph34r.gif

p.s. am i the only one who is scared to look at the other thread with all the answers just incase i find out i have misread every questions / got every questions wrong ?

#4 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:20 PM

since you sat the paper i think it will just be a normal appeal but i would make sure its noted that you were ill and had to leave because you became to ill. Shows that you werent just not studying and couldnt answer the questions

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#5 jambo david

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Dave @ May 17 2006, 10:20 PM) View Post

since you sat the paper i think it will just be a normal appeal but i would make sure its noted that you were ill and had to leave because you became to ill. Shows that you werent just not studying and couldnt answer the questions

So I could end up with a complete fail! Is it possible to an A? I'm starting to wish i never turned up to the exam now sad.gif

#6 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

I was ill before my exams but I was expecting not to sit them, and all my doctor told me was that he would give me a note and the exam board would decide the grades based on the evidence of your work throughout the year. I think that the exam board would not bother about the fact that you were in the exam room for a bit, if you have evidence that you were really ill then they must believe that you didn't decide not to do the paper. So, I think that you will probably get a normal illness appeal, although as SncZ said it may not be that straightforward.
But ultimately I think it would be very unfair for you to get an A in the prelim then the exam board to fail you, really can't see them doing that (remember they want good marks because it makes Scottish education look good)
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#7 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:25 AM

i never said you could end up with a fail. Even if you had went down the route of an appeal on the grounds of illness there would have to be good evidence for whichever grade you were awarded. Basically what i am saying is nothing has changed but just relax you dont want to be making your health worse through stress

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#8 AM4R

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:11 AM

Unlucky Dave, hope you get a good grade though smile.gif
::::::/\M/\R::::::

#9 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

This sounds familiar. In the Credit Physics exam I got a migraine just before it started and had to leave in the middle of it. The invigilator sat outside with me and let me have extra time when I went back in. When it had finished they asked me how I felt, and said that I didn't think I did the best I could have. Sooo I had to go back into school and sit a bunch of tests, the school took care of the appeal and I ended up with a 1 at the end. Don't know if that was with or without the appeal though. >.>

Good luck to you mate! Let us know how it goes!
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#10 jambo david

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 12:43 PM

Thanks everyone you've given me a little confidence for my result. I'll just wait and see what it arrives as smile.gif

#11 Mexes

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:09 PM

Same thing happened to me... Wednesday was the worst day of my life.. Did the multiple choice and felt very very suck just after finishing the multiple choice, did 21, 23, 24, some of 25, and a bit of 26, then i just told the invidgelator i had to leave cause i was unwell... My mum took me to the doctors and we got a signed note, we had to take it back to the school and apparently it goes away with the exam and gets "taken into consideration when marking".... mad.gif Then my team lost the champions league final with 9 minutes to go, i felt like killing myself.

I got a C in my prelim (3 marks off a B), and a C in my suplimentary, so my predicted grade was obviously a C (i wish i had studdied for them now ph34r.gif )

I really dont have a clue what i'll get, i got most of the multiple choice right, and i think what i did of the bigger questions was alright... I was hoping for an A or a B and i studdied for 4 weeks straight for it mad.gif what a waste that was now. mad.gif sad.gif

#12 Blondie

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computers, space, drawing, music, pirates, ice cream, writing, sewing, etc etc.

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:40 PM

Seriously, don't worry about it mate. Nothing you can do now, so there's no need to feel worried/angry/annoyed or anything. Just keep smilin', thinking it was all a waste won't make any difference anyway. smile.gif
-Blondie.

Whoa, I actually have something to put down here!

Crafting Journal!

#13 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(Mexes @ May 19 2006, 02:09 PM) View Post

Same thing happened to me... Wednesday was the worst day of my life.. Did the multiple choice and felt very very suck just after finishing the multiple choice, did 21, 23, 24, some of 25, and a bit of 26, then i just told the invidgelator i had to leave cause i was unwell... My mum took me to the doctors and we got a signed note, we had to take it back to the school and apparently it goes away with the exam and gets "taken into consideration when marking".... mad.gif Then my team lost the champions league final with 9 minutes to go, i felt like killing myself.

I got a C in my prelim (3 marks off a B), and a C in my suplimentary, so my predicted grade was obviously a C (i wish i had studdied for them now ph34r.gif )

I really dont have a clue what i'll get, i got most of the multiple choice right, and i think what i did of the bigger questions was alright... I was hoping for an A or a B and i studdied for 4 weeks straight for it mad.gif what a waste that was now. mad.gif sad.gif

Is it possible for you to try and get another prelim for you do do now? Does evidence you get after the exam count?

#14 broughy

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 10:14 PM

i doubt it. cos you could always sit the exam, then think "oh i did rubbish", so go & study for and do another prelim, get an A in that, & appeal using that. which would just be wrong.
when i'm dancin' with you,
tomorrow doesn't matter,
turn that music up,
till the windows start to shatter,
cos you're the only one who can get me on my feet,
& i can't even dance

No Tomorrow - Orson

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users