Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Tips ? - HSN forum - Page 2

Tips ?

26 replies to this topic

#21 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

If you can't afford to buy a £5 calculator, I don't see how it helps that you can currently use a more expensive one - and use it to cheat! smile.gif

If it's well known that you can only use a Casio FX-83 (or maybe a choice of basic scientific calculators from Casio, Sharp and TI), then everyone will have the chance to get the right one in time.

Plus, I'm sure schools would have a supply to loan to people who couldn't afford one.

#22 John

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts
  • Interests:First the boring stuff:<br /><br />2004 Results:<br /><br />Highers:<br /><br />Computing A<br />Craft and Design A<br />Physics A<br />Administration A<br />English A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />French A<br /><br />2005 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers:<br />Computing A<br />Physics A<br />Maths A<br />Modern Studies A<br />English A<br /><br />2006 Results:<br /><br />Advanced Highers(All Crashed):<br />Chemistry A<br />Biology A<br />Business Managemnt A<br /><br />Aren't I marvellous?

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:57 AM

That is where the school comes in, they shall supply as many calculators as possible, even if they have to borrow from the Science faculty or individual teachers.

When ever there is a maths exam on in my school, all the Scientific Calculators disappear from the departments.

Oh and if you cant afford a basic calculator by the time you are sitting your Higher, you should be recieving an EMA, so therefore be able to afford one.

#23 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:06 PM

for a tip - if you blank out during one question my teacher always told us to think to ourselves "what can i do" even if its wrong just think what you can do and do it. It should get you somewhere even if it is just an extra mark.

#24 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:53 PM

Remember to add on "C" when you are integrating something that is not on a definate integral!

Other than that I would say to make sure that you put down as much detail as possible, and get your notation right. For example you may not specifically get a mark for having "dx" at the end of your line before you integrate, but it does show the marker that you know what variable you are integrating with respect to and its always useful to make yourself clear.

Remember to explain why you are doing something too. For example, don't just randomly set a line and a curve equal to each other then take the discriminant of the function and evaluating it to show it is equal to zero and then finish with one line saying "so the line is a tangent to the curve". Introduce everything you are doing, I would put stuff in like "When the line meets the curve, they produce the same values of x and y, thus setting the values for y equal to each other to obtain an equation for x", "If the line is a tangent to the circle, then there are real and equal roots for when the lines are equal to each other, so using the discriminant to determine the roots of the equation", "Since the discriminant is equal to zero, this suggests one point of contact between the line and the curve so the line must be a tangent to the curve."

Another one is when you are proving stuff, put "Q.E.D." (quod erat demonstrandum, which was to be demonstrated) or something else to show that you have finished your proof. It makes your argument easier to follow, and it will also help you to look at the question and make sure that you actually have shown what was meant to be demonstrated.

Can't really think of any other tips right now, but good luck all!
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#25 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the tips. I always seem to forget the +C bit, lost me a mark in my nab and in the prelim as well. So now I know to make sure to add it on to the end.
Showing all of your working is another thing thats important, especilly in paper 2, not just typing it into the calculator and writing the answer, you have to show what you typed into the calculator. And writing things like 'perpendicular when a.b=0' or 'perpendicular lines when M1xM2=-1' and all that jazz.
Grrrrrr!!

#26 The Wedge Effect

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,477 posts
  • Interests:I'm me, I guess. I wear glasses, have short spiked hair, about 5ft 9 (I think). I left fifth year of school in 2005 and is currently unemployed. I used to go to Strathclyde University to do MEng Chemical Engineering, but I hated the course, so I quit. I've started doing MSc Mathematics, from September 2006, as I have a keen (almost unhealthy) interest in Mathematics, and its applications.<br /><br />The grades I achieved in the exams:<br /><br />1 - Standard Grade Mathematics<br />1 - Standard Grade Physics<br />1 - Standard Grade Chemistry<br />1 - Standard Grade Computing Studies<br />1 - Standard Grade Craft and Design<br />2 - Standard Grade English<br />2 - Standard Grade Geography <br /><br />A (Band 1) - Higher English<br />A (Band 1) - Higher Mathematics<br />A (Band 2) - Higher Chemistry<br />B (Band 3) - Higher Physics<br /><br />Anything else ya wanna know about me, PM me or add me to your MSN contact list and chat to me there. :P

Posted 18 May 2006 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE(ad absurdum @ May 18 2006, 05:53 PM) View Post
Remember to add on "C" when you are integrating something that is not on a definate integral!

Other than that I would say to make sure that you put down as much detail as possible, and get your notation right. For example you may not specifically get a mark for having "dx" at the end of your line before you integrate, but it does show the marker that you know what variable you are integrating with respect to and its always useful to make yourself clear.

Remember to explain why you are doing something too. For example, don't just randomly set a line and a curve equal to each other then take the discriminant of the function and evaluating it to show it is equal to zero and then finish with one line saying "so the line is a tangent to the curve". Introduce everything you are doing, I would put stuff in like "When the line meets the curve, they produce the same values of x and y, thus setting the values for y equal to each other to obtain an equation for x", "If the line is a tangent to the circle, then there are real and equal roots for when the lines are equal to each other, so using the discriminant to determine the roots of the equation", "Since the discriminant is equal to zero, this suggests one point of contact between the line and the curve so the line must be a tangent to the curve."

Another one is when you are proving stuff, put "Q.E.D." (quod erat demonstrandum, which was to be demonstrated) or something else to show that you have finished your proof. It makes your argument easier to follow, and it will also help you to look at the question and make sure that you actually have shown what was meant to be demonstrated.

Can't really think of any other tips right now, but good luck all!

Yeah, sound good, but you don't really have to write a mini-essay each time you're putting a statement in. You could simplify it, so you save a bit more time. "As b²-4ac=0, the line must be a tangent to the curve" instead of "Since the discriminant is equal to zero, this suggests one point of contact between the line and the curve, so the line must be a tangent to the curve"...it saves a lot of time, and can still be followed easily.

#27 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(The Wedge Effect @ May 18 2006, 06:12 PM) View Post
Yeah, sound good, but you don't really have to write a mini-essay each time you're putting a statement in. You could simplify it, so you save a bit more time. "As b²-4ac=0, the line must be a tangent to the curve" instead of "Since the discriminant is equal to zero, this suggests one point of contact between the line and the curve, so the line must be a tangent to the curve"...it saves a lot of time, and can still be followed easily.
Yeah, good point I've always been told that I write alot. Not necassarily too much, but I get told that I could write less if I want to. As long as the marker has a good understanding of what the person is trying to do then I guess it's fine.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users