Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Tips ? - HSN forum

Tips ?

26 replies to this topic

#1 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:09 PM

anyone got tips for the maths exam on friday. uno the ones whereby you save loads of time wink.gif

i dont sad.gif

altho a word of advice is to remember and state your intro and conclusion on a 'prove that' type question

e.g. for recurrence rels u need to state: for Un+1 =aun +b a limit exists if -1<a<1.

#2 Tracy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Location:Erm..My House, In Tranent, Near Edinburgh, SCOTLAND!
  • Interests:Being me

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:23 PM

yeah when it comes to the collinearity questions learn the wee statement in the 2004 Past Paper answers (Papwr one, question 4 i think), then u are showing why you know they are collinear and take spare batteries 4 ur calculator... turned mine on b4 the physics exam and they wre well dead lol.... got spare ones packedd too lol...

#3 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:33 PM

hah thats unlucky, i would take spare batteries but i need a small screwdriver to take the battery bit off...i dont think the invidulators would be too impressed if i walked in with a screwdriver in my hand tongue.gif . altho yea thanks for the collinearity thingy dry.gif

thankfully mine is two way power...altho i dont trust it. When my batteries run out does the excuse of a solar panel actually start to work? or does it always work in the sun and the batteries only get used if its dark?

I have the Casio fx-991ES <the one that can integrate and differentiate> w00t.gif

#4 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(SncZ @ May 17 2006, 08:33 PM) View Post
I have the Casio fx-991ES <the one that can integrate and differentiate> w00t.gif
What!? That's cheating surely. dry.gif

#5 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:57 PM

My calulators a casio fx-83ES. Does anybody else have this and/or know how to get the answers in decimals, because mine only gives them as fractions. (not so good if the question asks for the answer to 3 deciaml places or something.)
Grrrrrr!!

#6 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE(loved-up-loon @ May 17 2006, 08:57 PM) View Post
My calulators a casio fx-83ES. Does anybody else have this and/or know how to get the answers in decimals, because mine only gives them as fractions. (not so good if the question asks for the answer to 3 deciaml places or something.)
Surely it would display irrational numbers as decimals, no? huh.gif

#7 dusty_pumpkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:06 PM

Integrating and differentiating is hardly that difficult. Mind you, I did fail the unit 2 NAB integration bit...

#8 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Well I like a WIDE variety of things! haha i sound like a freak!<br />Anyways, I LOVE!!! music! ooh sooo much!!<br />haha i also like shopping and ehhm, drama and talking and swimmin(woo look at me aint i fit (not)) and ehhh thats all folks! haha! man i laugh alot! and i can talk for scotland! dont put iot past me i rambol on a lot!!

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE(Joel @ May 17 2006, 09:05 PM) View Post

Surely it would display irrational numbers as decimals, no? huh.gif

Dont think so, all of my answers are always in fractions or in root form. If i typed sqrt.gif base2.gif into it it would just say sqrt.gif base2.gif when I press =.
Grrrrrr!!

#9 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

i dunno about yours but on mine i have a button which can only be described as a double headed arrow with S on one side and D on the other. it coverts fractions to decimels and vice versa.

QUOTE(Joel @ May 17 2006, 08:44 PM) View Post

What!? That's cheating surely. dry.gif

well you would think so wouldnt you, but the calculator is allowed in the exam.

believe it or not, i dont use it. Its not as good as it sounds as in exams the questions are worth like 4 marks say....if i just write down the answer a) they will know i used a calculator and b) i will get 1 mark out of 4 which is hopeless.

p.s bear with me, i havent worked out this 'quote' thing yet wink.gif

#10 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:16 PM

you need to press the S<=>D button...it's just above delete

#11 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:20 PM

Thanks alot! Your a lifesaver!! hug.gif
Grrrrrr!!

#12 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

well you would think so wouldnt you, but the calculator is allowed in the exam.

believe it or not, i dont use it. Its not as good as it sounds as in exams the questions are worth like 4 marks say....if i just write down the answer a) they will know i used a calculator and b) i will get 1 mark out of 4 which is hopeless.
True, but you could still use it to check that your answers are correct.

#13 SncZ

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(loved-up-loon @ May 17 2006, 09:10 PM) View Post

Dont think so, all of my answers are always in fractions or in root form. If i typed sqrt.gif base2.gif into it it would just say sqrt.gif base2.gif when I press =.

hmmm are you sure you have it in the correct setup ( i dont mean radians, degress etc).

on mine i have a math setup; which will do what your calculator is currently doing, and then i have linear setup which is the 'proper' way - it will express all my answers as decimels etc which is better for higher maths.

so if i was you , check you are in the right setup. ( The setup key should be the shift function of your mode button) put it in linear mode and your sorted, you wont have to keep pressing the S<=>D (thanks nathanm tongue.gif) button.

alot of calculators inc mine came on math mode default....so i would really advise everyone to check smile.gif

QUOTE(Joel @ May 17 2006, 09:25 PM) View Post

yea i could, but i would only be cheating myself. If i wanted to do it for peace of mind, i could always do it after the exam. If you cheat one day it will come back and haunt you.

#14 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:01 PM

so if i was you , check you are in the right setup. ( The setup key should be the shift function of your mode button) put it in linear mode and your sorted, you wont have to keep pressing the S<=>D (thanks nathanm ) button.

yup, that sorts it

#15 loved-up-loon

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:05 PM

Thank you nathanm and SncZ!!
Grrrrrr!!

#16 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE(SncZ @ May 17 2006, 09:33 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Joel @ May 17 2006, 09:25 PM) View Post
yea i could, but i would only be cheating myself. If i wanted to do it for peace of mind, i could always do it after the exam. If you cheat one day it will come back and haunt you.
Absolutely, getting good grades in highers gives a great feeling of satisfaction and acheivement, this would be tainted by cheating. I'm quite surprised the SQA aren't more strict about the use of calculators in exams. When my brother sat standard grade physics (5 years ago), graphic calculators were still allowed and candidates were able to program formulas into a calculator's memory. The SQA have wisened to this now, but I wonder to what extent they have enforced the rule and whether a candidate would still be able to take some form of graphic calculator (or any calculator with memory storage capabilities) into an exam. It's not as if the invigilators actually check what type and modal of calculator each candidate is using as people are entering the exam hall.

#17 Nathan

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:12 AM

there is rules about it....they can be found in amongst the maths stuff on the SQA website...at the moment, they are allowing everything except graphing and CAS calculators...the only problem is enforcing the rule

#18 Dave

Ruler (but not owner) of hsn

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,252 posts
  • Interests:programming, exercising, brass band, using this board

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:21 AM

yes there is a list of either accepted or unaccepted calculators i can never remember which. The idea is you arent allowed something that will do the work for you. however, at the end of the day its impossible to enforce so what can you do. As far as i was aware you can only use the cleverer claculators to check answers anyway so what is the problem

If i am not here i am somewhere else

#19 George

Child Prodigy

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:52 AM

I think we've got a fairly good system at Edinburgh Uni - there's just one or two approved models (they're fairly basic Casio ones) and they're the only ones you can use in exams.

I think there should be something similar for SQA exams.

#20 Daron Malakian

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 09:31 AM

that idea is silly because there are many people who either cannot afford or cannot buy some types of callculator.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users