Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Howd you get on in music? - HSN forum

Howd you get on in music?

15 replies to this topic

#1 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:50 AM

I didn't like that listening paper at all really sad.gif crying.gif

Didn't like the compare contrast qu. And I kind of muckered up qu 5 too because I couldnt read it in time dry.gif

I just felt I was guessing everything.

Last question was a little gift though.

#2 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ May 17 2006, 10:50 AM) View Post
I didn't like that listening paper at all really sad.gif crying.gif
Neither did I, but then listening isn't really my strongest element of higher music.

Didn't like the compare contrast qu.
I thought it was ok. The music was pretty abstract. I put basso continuo for the first piece (because of the harpsicord and baroque style with orchestra) and 20th century for the second, not entirely sure though.

And I kind of muckered up qu 5 too because I couldnt read it in time dry.gif
What was question 5 again?

Last question was a little gift though.
Yeah, the last question is easy marks.

#3 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:09 AM

it was either qu 4 or qu 5

it was the one where you are given so long to read the question and you have the music there in front of you. had to put in cadences, accidental in bar 10, sight to show entrance of timpani (which i think i forgot!! crying.gif ), write the time sig etc

#4 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ May 17 2006, 11:09 AM) View Post

it was the one where you are given so long to read the question and you have the music there in front of you. had to put in cadences, accidental in bar 10, sight to show entrance of timpani (which i think i forgot!! crying.gif ), write the time sig etc
Oh yeah. I put interrupted cadence, sharp on first note in bar 10, timpani at second last note in the piece and a time signature of 4/4. I'm not sure I did particularly well in that question...

#5 Tintin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ May 17 2006, 11:09 AM) View Post

My mind went blank for that question aswell.....I needed more time to do everything in..... sad.gif
I though the bubble question/musical map question was really tricky....i thought that it went really fast and i found myself guessing in desperation on the final listening. It did not help that I had played the piece before, on Saxophone, which meant that I was trying to remeber was key and ornaments were in it. unsure.gif

I thought the comparison question was okay....i though the last second excerpt was "Late Romantic"......but I think that I only put that to sound smart - and as I had been influenced by a previous question. rolleyes.gif

#6 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:28 AM

ok well now I know I got most of it wrong. sad.gif

that saxophone piece was the poirot one eh?

#7 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ May 17 2006, 12:28 PM) View Post
that saxophone piece was the poirot one eh?
Correct.

#8 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:15 PM

I thought it was bloody hard! and so did the people in my class who are actually good at listening. I'm not worried though, the other parts of the course will pull my grade up.
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#9 *...dancin...dudette...*

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:13 PM

I done the Advanced Higher listening today and it was really hard...Had to guess most of it infact. unsure.gif Pretty glad the listening commentary is added to the mark as well!

#10 dusty_pumpkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:10 PM

well i didn't take it this year but i am next year. hopefully since 06 was hard 07 won't be!

#11 will_789

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:06 PM

Hey, just so you know, my music teachers all said that the advanced paper was easier than the higher paper!!! And that the higher paper was possibly the hardest theyve come accross!!!
So dont stress if you found the paper hard, the pass mark will be lowered...hopefully

#12 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(will_789 @ May 17 2006, 10:06 PM) View Post
Hey, just so you know, my music teachers all said that the advanced paper was easier than the higher paper!!! And that the higher paper was possibly the hardest theyve come accross!!!
That's reassuring to know. smile.gif

So dont stress if you found the paper hard, the pass mark will be lowered...hopefully
Perhaps, but because listening is only 25% of the overal grade for Higher Music it's unlikely the pass marks will be lowered too much.

#13 Ian

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, i thought it was a hard paper too.

Does anyone know where i can get the music/guitar tab for the Poirot theme by Christopher Gunning (the saxaphone piece in the exam with the bubble quesiton).

Tahnks

Ian

#14 ad absurdum

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Muzak.

Posted 18 May 2006 - 04:07 PM

smile.gif That's good news.

Did anyone else think that the comparison piece was amazing? And does anyone know the composer etc.?
HMFC - Founded 1874, beefing the Cabbage since 1875

#15 smb

HSN Legend

• Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

I got 42/60 in that paper.

That is JUST an A!! Phew!

For the other units i got
54/60 for inventing biggrin.gif
48/60 for piping
42/60 for keyboard

#16 roboticsdepartment

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(miss macleod @ Sep 5 2006, 11:51 PM) View Post
I got 42/60 in that paper.

That is JUST an A!! Phew!

For the other units i got
54/60 for inventing biggrin.gif
48/60 for piping
42/60 for keyboard

piping eh? i did the snare drum for my 1st, and singing for my 2nd (ohh jesussss) never bothered to find out what my marks were for the units but i got an A and thats all i need to know!! what band do you play for? smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users