Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
course work summary - HSN forum

course work summary

12 replies to this topic

#1 sweat man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

any1 got 1?

#2 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(sweat man @ May 17 2006, 10:33 AM) View Post
any1 got 1?
What do you mean? Practical or Theory? huh.gif

#3 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:45 PM

i have difficulty getting through my whole theory book and dont really know which points to focus on.

#4 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(celticfcz @ May 18 2006, 02:45 PM) View Post
i have difficulty getting through my whole theory book and dont really know which points to focus on.
Yeah, it's difficult to know what to revise. I haven't really bothered learning any theory this year because I feel my standard grade theory (along with common sense) is enough to get me through the written exam with a pass. I got an A in the prelim without having to revise simply because of my practical computing ability.

#5 xkarenx

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:51 PM

I actually did that I went through my notes and wrote all the basic stuff you need but I don't have the stuff on the computer unfortunately or I would post it for you.

#6 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE(Joel @ May 19 2006, 08:50 PM) View Post

Yeah, it's difficult to know what to revise. I haven't really bothered learning any theory this year because I feel my standard grade theory (along with common sense) is enough to get me through the written exam with a pass. I got an A in the prelim without having to revise simply because of my practical computing ability.

How did you do so well in the practical aspect? That is really good.
My whole class's highest score was 12/60 and my score was 10/60 sad.gif (That is because i spent all my time on the database part, got full marks for that then didnt have any time to move on).

Any tips?
Thanks

#7 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(celticfcz @ May 21 2006, 10:49 AM) View Post
How did you do so well in the practical aspect? That is really good.
Thanks. I did Higher Computing and Info Systems last year, so that's helped me a lot with the practical side of admin. I've also been using computers practically my whole life and have experience in programming (this makes the spreadsheet theory taught in higher admin seem easy in comparison). In reality I probably have a lot more experience in computing than your average admin candidate. I don't regret taking admin however, it has further broadened my skills and given me a sound knowledge in most aspects of practical computing.

My whole class's highest score was 12/60 and my score was 10/60 sad.gif (That is because i spent all my time on the database part, got full marks for that then didnt have any time to move on).
Just about every class in the country is in a similar situation. I was the only person in my school who actually passed the prelim (although some people were around the 45% mark overall). I expect that the pass marks in the final exam will be lowered considerably if the prelim is anything to go by. The SQA have some serious issues to address in relation to the course and the materials that are available to students. For a subject as commonly taught in schools as admin it is ludicrous that there isn't even a past paper book available, let alone a decent set of notes that actually give you some form of confidence going into the exam.

Any tips?
Well, after looking into the theory a little bit I can probably help you more with that than with the practical side of things. I have however managed to collect quite a few resources over the past year, some of which you may find useful. The best way to study for the practical exam is to go through the IT Practice Packs A-D (and any coursework booklets you have) that your teacher should have given you at the start of the year. These cover most of the content that you are likely to find in the final exam (the prelim that you will have done is also good practice for the final exam). I still have a copy of the prelim my school did and could easily scan a copy of it for you if you would like to practice using it.

Actually, it would be easier if I just post a list of what I've got. If you (or anybody else) would like any of the following then please just reply in this topic or send me a PM (with your email address) and i'll send whatever resource(s) you require.
  • 2004 Higher Theory Exam (same format as this year's exam will be in)
  • IT Practice Packs A-D (good practice for the practical exam)
  • Practical Prelim Exam (again, good practice)
  • Booklet to support the learning of complex formulas in spreadsheets.
  • Sheet containing exam question vocabulary for the theory exam (i've put this into a table in word so that it can be easily read and printed out)
  • Concise theory notes (in the form of bullet points) that I made whilst studying for NAB Assessments.
Also, I would advise you to download (if you haven't already done so) the Specimen Question Paper from the SQA website. This should be in the same format as the final exam and will give you a flavour of what to expect on the 24th. You will find it here:

IPB Image Specimen Question Paper 2006

Hope this has been of some help to you. Please don't hesitate to get into contact if there is anything in particular that you are having trouble with. Good luck to everyone sitting the admin exam on wednesday.

#8 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:47 AM

thanks joel that is great!

i think the pass marks for admin this year are going to be very low and i personally was very worried when i found out there were no past papers.

I have my schools theory prelim and am using this practise with.

Good Lock to everyone for Wednesday!

#9 supernova

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:18 PM

The standard grade theory?! Not much of that is reflected in the higher course, is it?!

Unless they changed the standard grade last year?!

Or perhaps I just don't remember it! I did do it two years ago! tongue.gif

Hmm, a lot of theory is common sense. Although, they always mark it by the EXACT answers the SQA give, so it's not entirely fair. I remember in my nab I wrote something that I'd remembered in the book, but she couldn't give me the mark (even after I showed her it in the book) because it wasn't in the SQA answers. UGH!

I did quite badly in my theory in the prelim!! About 25/60! haha! But I did get 49/60 for my practical, so that pulled me up to a B! I hope the papers not too hard, cos I NEED to get at least a B in this!

I'm soo tired. Don't think I can get myself to study! Sleep deprivation is NOT a good thing!!!! Had two exams, one yesterday and one today, both advanced highers!! I hate the SQA for doing that to me! sad.gif

I wish I took Admin last year when it was "easy". Do you know that last years higher is now practically the INT 2!?! How crap is that!

Oh, and to be fair, they couldn't really give us past papers, when there is none to give! New exam and all that! But they could've created at least a few more specimen papers!!! sad.gif

#10 celticfcz

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(supernova @ May 23 2006, 07:18 PM) View Post

The standard grade theory?! Not much of that is reflected in the higher course, is it?!

Unless they changed the standard grade last year?!

Or perhaps I just don't remember it! I did do it two years ago! tongue.gif

Hmm, a lot of theory is common sense. Although, they always mark it by the EXACT answers the SQA give, so it's not entirely fair. I remember in my nab I wrote something that I'd remembered in the book, but she couldn't give me the mark (even after I showed her it in the book) because it wasn't in the SQA answers. UGH!

I did quite badly in my theory in the prelim!! About 25/60! haha! But I did get 49/60 for my practical, so that pulled me up to a B! I hope the papers not too hard, cos I NEED to get at least a B in this!

I'm soo tired. Don't think I can get myself to study! Sleep deprivation is NOT a good thing!!!! Had two exams, one yesterday and one today, both advanced highers!! I hate the SQA for doing that to me! sad.gif

I wish I took Admin last year when it was "easy". Do you know that last years higher is now practically the INT 2!?! How crap is that!

Oh, and to be fair, they couldn't really give us past papers, when there is none to give! New exam and all that! But they could've created at least a few more specimen papers!!! sad.gif

49/60 is excellant! I would cry if i got that!!

#11 Joel

Top of the Class

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(supernova @ May 23 2006, 07:18 PM) View Post
Well, I've looked at the papers for 2004 and 2005 and the format is the same. The content is slightly different, but most of it still relates to the course this year. There's no reason why the SQA can't produce a book of past papers, at least it would give candidates some idea of what to expect.

#12 sweat man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 10:25 AM

im doing int2 and failed the prelim : / by like 5 marks.....

admin is supposed to be easy. im doin higher info systems (failing ;p )

and i work with computers alot. still i fail, no idea how

#13 xXxHeatherxXx

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:00 PM

REVISON REVISION REVISION!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users