Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 909

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 114

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/hsn/public_html/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php:909) in /home/hsn/public_html/forum/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Light Wavelengths - HSN forum

Light Wavelengths

12 replies to this topic

#1 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping <3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:13 AM

I was reading a revision book and it says that I need to know the wavelengths of red, green and blue light for H Physics, but my teacher has never told me this.
Is it true ??

Thanx in advance
*~* Pam xxx *~*
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#2 Misbah

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

hey pam!! no you do not need to know the exact values only that RED has the highest (ROYGBIV) so red has the highest and violet will have the smallest xxxxx hope this has helped!!

#3 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Swimming, music (listening and playin), goin to the flicks, shopping <3, shoes, glitter, reading, flowers, msn, bowling for soup, westlife, bags and nailpolish

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

Ahhh tht's ok then
Thankyou twinny!!
*~* Kiss me, beneath the milky twilight, lead me, out on the moonlit floor, lift your open hand, strike up the band and make the fireflies dance, silver moon sparkling, so kiss me *~*

#4 dfx

Fully Fledged Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

It would help if you did. I've seen quite a few laser questions particularly where the wavelength of light is stated/calculated and then you have to decide what colour it is. Just learn rough values for the 3 e.g. ~700nm ~500nm etc. Unless things have changed with the new data book for physics?

#5 werlop

Fully Fledged Genius

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Location:Cambridge (Term Time), Bearsden (Glasgow) Non Term Time

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(dfx @ May 16 2006, 01:26 PM) View Post

It would help if you did. I've seen quite a few laser questions particularly where the wavelength of light is stated/calculated and then you have to decide what colour it is. Just learn rough values for the 3 e.g. ~700nm ~500nm etc. Unless things have changed with the new data book for physics?

Yeah, it's not really that hard to remember is it?
Click here to visit the Bearsden Academy Website
user posted image

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

#6 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

No but I was just wondering, no point in learning them if i don't need to

#7 Pyrefly

Good Effort

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:57 PM

our teacher told us that it would be good to have a rough idea of the wavelengths for a red emission (there are many shades of red after all ;p) a green (somewhere in the middle) and a blue/violet (at the end)

Out study sheets give us the examples
Red : 700nm (7x10^-7m)
Green : 540nm (5.4x10^-7m)
Blue : 490nm (4.9x10^-7m)

different books give different values for these coulours due to the different shades...so we were told to learn those ones and therfore know red is around 700nm etc...

(if you cant make sence of that...best to ignore it)

#8 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Pyrefly @ May 16 2006, 01:57 PM) View Post

our teacher told us that it would be good to have a rough idea of the wavelengths for a red emission (there are many shades of red after all ;p) a green (somewhere in the middle) and a blue/violet (at the end)

Out study sheets give us the examples

different books give different values for these coulours due to the different shades...so we were told to learn those ones and therfore know red is around 700nm etc...

(if you cant make sence of that...best to ignore it)

Ok i will learn those values that are on your study sheets, thanx

#9 Misbah

Showing Improvement

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

i shall learn them too

#10 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(Misbah @ May 16 2006, 02:28 PM) View Post

i shall learn them too

Haha I am glad u shall !!!
Pam xxxx

#11 Michael

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

The SQA materials give:

#12 Pammy

Site Swot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Dhesi @ May 16 2006, 02:46 PM) View Post

The SQA materials give:

Ok that's good then, no need to learn !!!
Thankyou
Pam xxx

#13 ice_illusion

Child Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 03:09 PM

At the front of the exam we're given a data sheet. On it there is a table saying spectral lines. Theres element, then wavelengths and then it tells you the colour of each wavelength.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users